TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
ADG
Allan

Change Remote Address

Just got a Roamio plus and it's in the same cabinet as an S3. I want to change the remote address on the Roamio and I'm guessing it should be the same process as previous Tivos (go to system info screen, scroll to remote address, press Pause & Tivo - steady light - point at tivo and press "1" (or whatever number you choose). The number does not change on the screen - it stays at zero. Anyone know the correct process? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
tatergator1

Since the Roamio now uses RF as default, perhaps you need to force it into IR mode briefly for that to work? Just a guess.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
moyekj

The Roamio remote is RF, so if you are using it in RF mode it should not be controlling your S3 unit at all and hence no need to change Remote address.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

You're a little off on the process. Go to the system information screen, change the address on the remote by holding TiVo and Pause and then pressing the number you want to assign, then press any button on the remote. That will change the number on the TiVo.

You'll need to cover the IR receiver on one of the TiVo's while you do this or they'll both respond and get assigned the same remote code. Also make sure you exit the system info screen on one TiVo before doing the other. Lastly both TiVos have to be assigned a code other then 0 and both remotes have to also be assigned a code other then 0. A remote set to 0 will control any TiVo, regardless of it's code, and a TiVo set to 0 will respond to any remote regardless of it's code.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The Roamio remote is RF, so if you are using it in RF mode it should not be controlling your S3 unit at all and hence no need to change Remote address.
I wouldn't trust that. If the RF connection drops the remote reverts to IR and in that case it would control the S3. Plus the S3 remote will still control the Roamio.

Setting both units to a code other then 0, and both remotes to equivalent codes, is the safest bet.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
ADG
Allan

Called Tivo. Turned out I was doing everything right but for some reason the remote needed a complete reset. Then it worked fine. Sorry for the false start and thanks for trying to help.

ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Pressing Tivo + C switches to IR mode, then you can change the remote address. Remote light glows red with button presses.

Tivo + D switches to RF mode. Remote light is yellow on button presses.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

With an S3 and Roamio in the same room, even if one is IR and the other RF, if they're both on zero the Roamio will respond to the S3's IR signal, you still have to make sure the remote channels are set as are both Tivo's
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Not being able to find how to disable RF-mode, until now, I had to use a tag-team approach of using a Premiere remote to set the Roamio receiving IR address, since I didn't know how to take the Roamio remote out of RF mode.

I just covered the from of the Premiere remote with my hand while setting the remote to the address number I wanted my Roamio receiving on then used the Premiere remote on the Roamio's System Information screen. I used the usual method of holding the Pause+TiVo buttons then pressing the desired address number. BTW: Sometimes a fresh pair of batteries makes your hand inadequate for blocking the IR.

It was a PITA, in every room, since I couldn't block the RF signal with my hand (obviously), and having both Roamios and Premieres in each room (and two of each in one room).

I don't understand why it says to "use 1-3 for Sony". I assume it means TV, but don't understand why. I've used 1-9, just fine, until now.

Now, no matter what, I practically need a laser sight on the Roamio remotes to aim them directly at the tiny IR receiver on my Sony TVs. The Premiere, and TiVo HD remotes could be aimed over my shoulder and control the same TVs from 25ft away.

I'm still getting a bit disgruntled over needing sniper-aim to control my TVs.

Any suggestions not involving a sniper sight? Yes, I've tried multiple TV codes, as well as using the same one that I've been using for years.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I wouldn't trust that. If the RF connection drops the remote reverts to IR and in that case it would control the S3. Plus the S3 remote will still control the Roamio.

Setting both units to a code other then 0, and both remotes to equivalent codes, is the safest bet.
Good points, I didn't even think about that.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I don't understand why it says to "use 1-3 for Sony". I assume it means TV, but don't understand why. I've used 1-9, just fine, until now.
Way back in the Series 1 days Sony actually made a TiVo. It used a different remote and it's remote was only capable of doing codes 1-3.

That reference has nothing to do with the brand of TV.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Way back in the Series 1 days Sony actually made a TiVo. It used a different remote and it's remote was only capable of doing codes 1-3.

That reference has nothing to do with the brand of TV.
Odd, that it would be in the documentation specifically for the Roamio's remote (being so new), but I've never seen a mention of it in the older TiVo's remote documentation (that I can recall, anyway)...

I did pause and wonder if there ever might have been a Sony-badged TiVo, while scratching my head over it.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I did pause and wonder if there ever might have been a Sony-badged TiVo, while scratching my head over it.
No wonder we are all going bald lately.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe the copied and pasted from a really old how to.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
BruceShultes

Quote:
I'm still getting a bit disgruntled over needing sniper-aim to control my TVs.

Any suggestions not involving a sniper sight? Yes, I've tried multiple TV codes, as well as using the same one that I've been using for years.
I have found that I get the most consistent results by pointing my remote at a side wall at around a 45 degree angle from my Tivo and TV.

Of course, this is using IR. If you are using RF, the angle shouldn't make any difference.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum, that the fibre-optic tube that carries the IR signal from the opening in the front of the box to the actual receiver on the motherboard is ofter misaligned on the Roamio boxes and that it helped to remove the cover and push it until it was exactly aligned with the opening.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
I have found that I get the most consistent results by pointing my remote at a side wall at around a 45 degree angle from my Tivo and TV.

Of course, this is using IR. If you are using RF, the angle shouldn't make any difference.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum, that the fibre-optic tube that carries the IR signal from the opening in the front of the box to the actual receiver on the motherboard is ofter misaligned on the Roamio boxes and that it helped to remove the cover and push it until it was exactly aligned with the opening.
The problem us with my Sony TVs (with ~5 years age difference between them). The RF makes the TiVo work no matter what. The IR it uses for the TV is the problem/issue.

Premiere and TiVo HD remotes worked just fine with these same TVs, and always controlled the TiVos just fine as well.

I have seen very bad alignment with the IR tube inside Premieres. It still didn't matter. It just made verified the "Made in Mexico" sticker. Even with that misalignment, I could point anywhere and control the TiVos, and the TVs, until the new Roamio remote. I'm using the exact same IR code, as I did before, since none of the others that I tried worked any better, controlling the TVs.

You seem to think I'm having problems controlling the TiVos, and it's the exact opposite of that. It's TVs. Thanks for trying, though...