TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
pautler

v53 tuning problem & duplicate channels. OTA, no cable card, no tuning adapter

I'm using a Roamio Basic with an over-the-air antenna. (no cable card. no tuning adapter)

I've recently started having problems with V53 errors a on couple of channels. TiVo won't record on the channels, and when I try to tune to them manually I receive the message:
"Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)"

If I manually change the channel back and forth, and/or reset the TiVo, I can sometimes get the channels to tune in eventually, and then they work just fine. They are channels that I receive quite well with my OTA antenna, and I just started noticing this problem recently (after the latest 20.3.8 update?). It's possible that the issue was there before, but I've only noticed it recently because the TiVo keeps missing recordings on these channels.

All of the other threads that I see referencing this problem seem to indicate that it is most likely related to things like tuning adapters and cable cards, but I do not have either of those items.

If anyone else is seeing this same behavior, or has any suggestions regarding how to resolve it, I would greatly appreciate it. Misery loves company. :-)

-Joe

Last edited by pautler : 12-23-2013 at 04:32 AM.
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
pautler

Another interesting piece of information....

When I use the TiVo signal strength tester I get a reading of 70-74 on the problematic channels, which is pretty typical for most of my channels. But here's the really strange part: the channel usually tunes in and displays just fine when I am within the signal strength testing mode, even when I am unable to tune it in otherwise.

The channel that is being most affected by this is my local PBS channel. It's pretty much at the point now where it never tunes in successfully, and won't record anything. With the new season of Downton Abbey starting this weekend my wife is *very* unhappy about this! Ugh. Right now the only option I have for her is to connect the antenna directly to the TV and watch the shows via live TV. Ugh... live TV.

-Joe
Old 12-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
pautler

Is there by any chance a way to revert a TiVo unit back to the old software version?

I don't think I was having this problem before, but I'd love to be able to revert to the old software to check.

One other peculiarity related to this issue:
The primary channel that is having this problem is my local PBS channel. It is channel 17.1, frequency 43. I notice that it is showing up in my guide and my channel listings twice. Both instances appear to be the exact same channel, in every way. I re-ran the channel scan, but it is still showing up twice. Of course I can un-check one of them in the channel setup so that I only see one of them in the guide, but they are both still there 'under the hood.' When I view the guide, TiVo will only let me select one of them (which of course won't tune in successfully anyway). When I try to select the 2nd instance of the same channel from the guide it simply doesn't do anything. No 'bong' sound. Nothing.

I'm wondering if perhaps I should try running guided setup again from scratch, just to see if that might help, and might remove the second instance of the same channel. Re-running guided setup won't delete my recordings or my season passes, will it?

-Joe

Last edited by pautler : 12-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
pautler

Fyi: I re-ran "guided setup" and that got ride of the duplicate channel entry. The PBS channel has been tunable and recordable without issue for the last 12 hours. Finger crossed!

-Joe
Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
aristoBrat

Hope it keeps working! Collective finger cross for you.
Series 3 OLED (x2)
DirecTiVo (x3)
Series 1
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Hopefully, things are solved for you this time around, but if you run into the duplicate channel thing again in the future, know that you can delete one of the channels manually without having to do setup again.
Usually the duplicate that needs deleting is noted with an asterisk in the channel lineup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
pautler

It's been 3 days since I re-ran guided setup and got rid of the duplicate channel, and I think I can declare my issue officially resolved. At least for now.

Like steve614 said, I did notice that on the same screen where I launched guided setup from there was also an option to delete channels. That might have worked just as well, but I was already planning on re-running the whole guided setup at that point, so that's what I did.

-Joe
Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
jdearm

Finally Fixed V53 Error

I have a ROAMIO. I have strictly Antenna TV and had starting getting this error on one of my channels. After trying many things for many months I saw your note about repeating the guided setup. It was interesting because after the guided setup the trouble channel did not appear on the guide screen, but when I went to the setup-channel list, and reselected it, then returned guide and selected it, IT WORKED! This is the first time this channel has worked in Live Mode for months so I don't think it was a coincidence.

Thanks!, jdearm
jdearm is offline   Reply With Quote