TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
tymbo

Is there a workaround to allow TiVo Stream to allow shows to download in background?

Whenever I switch apps, the download PAUSES. No other apps are running. I can be in the TiVo app, mark the amount downloaded so far, press the home screen and wait 30 seconds, and return back to find out the download has been paused. It resumes immediately, though.

Ultimately, I would love to be able to multitask without having to have the app in the front all the time. I would like to browse Safari or read an ibook while the download continues in the background.

Has anyone found a workaround that will allow show downloads to progress while in the background?
tymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
moyekj

If there is a way to do it I'd like to know as well... I think someone mentioned in the past even if an App allows it, iOS only allows 10 minute downloads in background mode which wouldn't be much better either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

No. There is an Apple limitation that downloads can only resume in the background for 10 minutes after the app loses focus. I think TiVo did the pause to limit confusion.

In iOS7 there is a way to request access to extended background downloads. Hopefully they'll eventually add that feature.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
kduchow

They should be able to do this in iOS 7, I agree. Glympse keeps itself alive in the background for as long as the Glympse lasts, and it's using the battery hogging GPS.

This about screwed me when leaving for Thanksgiving this year. I started a bunch of downloads and then just let the iPad sit. It timed out and locked the screen and the download paused. They should at least let you know that's going to happen, as it isn't obvious.
kduchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

It should keep the iPad alive automatically. I downloaded a bunch of stuff last year before going on a business trip and it kept my iPad awake for like 3 hours while it downloaded all the stuff I queued.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Has anyone tried the jailbreak app Background Manager?

It is designed to allow the app to continue to run in the background - so in theory, it should allow you to continue to download.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 01-08-2014 at 03:29 PM.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote