Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

NBC Olympics coverage may be improving

Press Release

More hours of coverage (TV and online) than ever, as expected. However, I see a substantial amount of live sport mentioned in there as well. Sounds like a number of things will be shown live, on say NBCSN, and also shown "packaged" on NBC that evening.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

what's the time difference between the East Coast and Sochi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
DeDondeEs

Yeah we've heard that before.....

But the stuff most people will actually want to watch, like the figure skating will be stretched out in that prime time slot, and the one or two American figure skaters that we will be rooting for won't be on until 11:30pm, even though it happened earlier in the day with no option to watch it live.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
what's the time difference between the East Coast and Sochi?
Looks like 9 hours?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

Are they dropping Bob Costas? That would improve the coverage greatly for me.
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Dave View Post
Yeah if they got rid of Costas, Mary Carillo doing some quirky piece on the locals, and Chris Collinsworth acting all amazed at some athlete he interviewed while they were training, they would actually be able to show sports.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Dave View Post
I wont even watch it if Costas is on.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Looks like 9 hours?
That's gonna make it hard to have live events during prime time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
GoPackGo

What's with the Costas hate?
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
That's gonna make it hard to have live events during prime time.
Hey, cut it out. Your user title isn't Captain Obvious. You don't think they will hold events between 5 am and 8 am local time?
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Hey, cut it out. Your user title isn't Captain Obvious. You don't think they will hold events between 5 am and 8 am local time?
No it will be too cold for Putin to walk around shirtless at that time.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
But the stuff most people will actually want to watch, like the figure skating will be stretched out in that prime time slot, and the one or two American figure skaters that we will be rooting for won't be on until 11:30pm, even though it happened earlier in the day with no option to watch it live.
From the press release:
Quote:
NBCOlympics.com will serve as the preeminent digital destination for Olympic content and the exclusive home of Olympic video coverage, featuring, for the first time, live streaming of all Winter Games competition, plus event rewinds and extensive video highlights.
Didn't they do this for London as well?

It also says that every performance in figure skating will air on NBC Sports Network, although it doesn't say how much of it will be live. Note that there is a new "team" event in figure skating this year. (The short version: 10 countries have a men's skater, a ladies' skater, a pairs couple, and a dance couple perform their short programs; each one is ranked from first (10 points) to tenth (1 point), and the top 5 countries in team points advance to perform long programs to decide the medals.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

They did. And, IIRC, a lot for Beijing too.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Well, it helps that NBC literally doesn't have to do anything to make the online streaming happen. Olympic Broadcasting provides the pool video, including the graphics and everything; all NBC has to do is just relay the video to their internet audience.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
What's with the Costas hate?
Because Bob is horrible when he's not talking about baseball.

Although to be fair, I can't think of anyone I would like to see as a studio host, instead of actually being able to watch a sports event instead.

I don't tune in to see people sit around in the studio and talk about the last Olympiad. I tune in to watch the current Olympics.

This simple fact seems to escape the grasp of most of the producers who work on the Olympics.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

As always, if what they were doing didn't get huge ratings, they would change it.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I don't tune in to see people sit around in the studio and talk about the last Olympiad. I tune in to watch the current Olympics.
This!
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
As always, if what they were doing didn't get huge ratings, they would change it.
You know, people say this, but we don't really have a choice.

It's not like we have a legitimate means of choosing one network's broadcast over another.

It would be interesting to see real head-to-head competition, e.g. if Americans could buy TV licenses for the BBC and then watch it via iPlayer, or if our cable or satellite packages regularly included the Canadian coverage of the Olympics as well as the US Networks.

Maybe if we had prime time coverage that actually showed some sports vs. what NBC usually does, and fans of the same sports could pick which broadcast team we wanted, then the ratings would actually mean something besides how many Nielsen families had the Olympics on in the background for noise while they were doing something else.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Press Release

More hours of coverage (TV and online) than ever, as expected. However, I see a substantial amount of live sport mentioned in there as well. Sounds like a number of things will be shown live, on say NBCSN, and also shown "packaged" on NBC that evening.
Hmm, I think I had 4 tuners during the last Olympics (and I don't think I was able to record everything I wanted).. I wonder how many tuners will be in use this time.

Note, I often recorded shows that claimed to be sports I had no interest in.. and the vast vast vast vast majority of the time, they were right. I think once in a while something else was covered, and/or there were small bits in the hours of other coverage.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #20
Bardman

Quote:

This simple fact seems to escape the grasp of most of the producers who work on the Olympics.
This x1000

I would also like to watch the events ( including the opening and closing ceremonies) without the constant blather of whoever is covering it.
H24 receiver
HR21 receiver
Bardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #21
JoBeth66
Temp

I don't want to hear about the "human interest" stories, the hardships they had to overcome, the fact that someone's mom is in the hospital, the school mates cheering them on through an injury or illness, the family members sitting in the stands, the fact that it's their birthday, etc. Couldn't possibly care less. I just want to watch them compete.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

It's not like we have a legitimate means of choosing one network's broadcast over another.

It would be interesting to see real head-to-head competition, e.g. if Americans could buy TV licenses for the BBC and then watch it via iPlayer, or if our cable or satellite packages regularly included the Canadian coverage of the Olympics as well as the US Networks.

Maybe if we had prime time coverage that actually showed some sports vs. what NBC usually does, and fans of the same sports could pick which broadcast team we wanted, then the ratings would actually mean something besides how many Nielsen families had the Olympics on in the background for noise while they were doing something else.
Except your reality is probably different than most casual Olympic fans. I doubt ratings would take a huge hit, and in fact probably no hit at all. The die hards will find a way to watch it how ever they want. The bulk of people watching though will watch NBC. They mostly like the puff pieces (I don't mind them when they are well done), Costas, is an engaging guy that people know. he may not be an expert in any of these sports, but he's certainly seasoned as a studio host. And I think for most fans, watching the Olympics from a USA point of view is going to get the most ratings. Sorry, it's just the way it is. People tend to root for teams and people they have some vested interest in. For most, it will be because they are American. BBC, CBC coverage is less biased? Probably because they just don't have as many competitive athletes in the competitions.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
From the press release:

Didn't they do this for London as well?
This is the first time for Winter Olympic coverage.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #24
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Where are they this year?
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
Where are they this year?
Sochi, Russia.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
laria
Librocubicularist

I kinda like Mary Carillo's quirky pieces.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I think because of all the turmoil surrounding Putin and the "new cold war" politics, you're going to see a lot of "news" stories this time around. I bet Brian Williams does some interesting pieces on the subject.

I hope there's a network dedicated to the hockey tourney. I will be watching a lot of that. Olympic hockey is great.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #28
TomK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
I don't want to hear about the "human interest" stories, the hardships they had to overcome, the fact that someone's mom is in the hospital, the school mates cheering them on through an injury or illness, the family members sitting in the stands, the fact that it's their birthday, etc. Couldn't possibly care less. I just want to watch them compete.

I don't want to watch any human interest stories about (mostly U.S.) athletes. Just show as many events as possible.
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
The original up close and personal pieces done by abc way back in the 60s were good and interesting because they were things like glimpses into the daily life of a Swiss villager which we don't know. But they have exploded into overwrought stories about everybody's struggles when they often aren't more than any one else's.

If the story is short and really different or interesting, I like it. But to hear about the skater who had to get up at 5 am to walk three miles to get a bus then do her homework late at night. Nah.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

That's the point. NBC pays BILLIONS of dollars to be the exclusive Olympics broadcaster for the US. Then they have to figure out how to get the most viewers and highest possible ratings so they can sell enough advertising to make back those BILLIONS of dollars. Do you really think that if they just had coverage of the competitions without all the extra fluff that the ratings would increase? Do you really think they haven't researched this extensively?

Of course those of us who are passionate sports fans want to see the competition and don't care about the human interest stories. But we don't pay the bills. NBC needs to appeal to a much broader demographic and be able to bring in families, women who don't know or care anything about sports, men who generally don't care about sports, men who like football and basketball but know nothing about figure skating and snowboarding, etc. They have to try and make their coverage appeal to everyone. And in order to do that, they have to make it less appealing for the die hards. That's just an economic fact. If they produced the type of coverage that you (and I) want, they'd lose money. And they are in this to make a profit.