TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #331
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Then explain why you are protecting everything when the content holders do not require it? If it's not to thwart TiVo users then what purpose does it serve? It's only hurting your customers.
Not getting into this discussion again...we've been through it a thousand times and nothing has changed since then. You want to discuss it with me call me sometime.
BHNtechXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #332
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post
Not getting into this discussion again...we've been through it a thousand times and nothing has changed since then. You want to discuss it with me call me sometime.
I'm not even one of your customers. But a lot of my customers are your customers, or TW customers, and are effected by this. Not just TiVo users either, but HTPC users.

I understand when cable companies protect channels that require it, like HBO. I even kind of understand when the protect all premium channels. But what you guys, and TW, are doing seems unnecessary and only serves to hinder the customer's ability to watch the content when and where they want. All I can assume is that is exactly your intention.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #333
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm not even one of your customers. But a lot of my customers are your customers, or TW customers, and are effected by this. Not just TiVo users either, but HTPC users.

I understand when cable companies protect channels that require it, like HBO. I even kind of understand when the protect all premium channels. But what you guys, and TW, are doing seems unnecessary and only serves to hinder the customer's ability to watch the content when and where they want. All I can assume is that is exactly your intention.
And you know what they say about assuming things right?
BHNtechXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #334
windracer
joined the 10k club

Then what's the real reason?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #335
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you don't tell us otherwise then what else can we assume? There is no legal reason you have to do it. And it can't be a technical limitation because if it were then you'd also be flagging the local channels which is against the law. So provided you have the capability of flagging channels individually and flagging is not required by the majority of the content providers then why do you do it? The only thing I can think of is to intentionally block features like TiVoToGo and Stream downloading to prop up your own VOD and app offerings.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #336
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post
we've been through it a thousand times and nothing has changed since then. You want to discuss it with me call me sometime.
I did a search and found some threads scattered all over - here, dslreports and beyond - but not the answer.

If it's been asked and answered a thousand times, what's the stock FAQ answer for this? (just curious knowing nothing will likely change)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #337
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by igirl View Post
I did a search and found some threads scattered all over - here, dslreports and beyond - but not the answer.

If it's been asked and answered a thousand times, what's the stock FAQ answer for this? (just curious knowing nothing will likely change)
I think the stock answer is that, just like with politicians, they ducked the question before, therefore they consider it to have been answered and it to be a closed subject and anyone who persists in asking is a just some anti-American radical malcontent.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote