TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
stujac

Initial set up of a Basic

Swapping out a new Roamio Basic for my Premier. Thought it would be an easy swap. I got the Basic today and swapped out the drives, dropping a 2tb in it. No sweat. Normally, we run set up before inserting the cable card but on the Basic the cable card slot is underneath and to the side of the box. Very inconvenient. Usually they are in the front. So, I guess I'll run set up then unplug everything so I can get the cc in. Doesn't make sense. Also, they changed the plug so now I've got to hunt through 16 or so plugs in the rear of my messy av set up to find the Premier plug. Just venting I guess.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Roamio Basic has an external power supply. The other TiVos have internal power supplies. I wish all the TiVos had external power supplies.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
kbmb

Why not just put the cable card in before running setup?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
stujac

I did. First off, it took Tivo about an hour on "tech assist" on Tivo.com to figure out why it would not recognize my cable company; Comcast-Willow Grove. 2 other tivo's had no problem with that info. Anyway, now I'm set up and on hold with Comcast to activate the cc cards. The old number dedicated to cc with Comcast is no long dedicated to cable cards.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
I did. First off, it took Tivo about an hour on "tech assist" on Tivo.com to figure out why it would not recognize my cable company; Comcast-Willow Grove. 2 other tivo's had no problem with that info. Anyway, now I'm set up and on hold with Comcast to activate the cc cards. The old number dedicated to cc with Comcast is no long dedicated to cable cards.
Does the paper in the box still give conflicting info telling you not to start out with the card in? So you put the CC in and then plugged in the power?

Out of curiosity because I'll be setting up my parent's 2 Roamio Basic units after Christmas.....which number did you call?

I'm seeing some reports that the old dedicated cable card number: 1-877-405-2298 is sometimes not active anymore?

I've also seen this number: 1-888-739-1379 which I think is a regular hotline number?

Curious how you made out. The dedicated cable card hotline was one of the few things Comcast did right. It will be sad if they took that away.

-Kevin
Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
timr_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Does the paper in the box still give conflicting info telling you not to start out with the card in? So you put the CC in and then plugged in the power?

-Kevin
Just so you know, I got my first Roamio machines yesterday. Yes, it told me to set up without the card.

It was a pain from Charter to get the CC set up.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
Just so you know, I got my first Roamio machines yesterday. Yes, it told me to set up without the card.

It was a pain from Charter to get the CC set up.
Yeah, when I setup my Roamio Plus, I'm pretty sure I followed what the paper said, to not insert the cable card when I first turned it on. Then during setup it told me to put it in. Not really an issue for the Plus/Pro units because it's on the back. But I can see where the basics will be a PITA because you have to flip over to get the CC in.

So I was just wondering if anyone was successful in putting the CC in first, before turing it on.

-Kevin
Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
sangs

My paperwork says if you don't have a CC, you can still complete guided setup. However, I don't see where it specifically instructs you to do guided without the CC (assuming you have one).
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
stujac

The paperwork said to not use cc but I did because of the location of the card I decided to put it in anyway. I figured I'd have to disconnect and reboot just to insert the card. Made no sense. I called TiVo support this morning and the lady said it would be fine. Now, took about 3 1/2 hours and I'm still not on the correct cable line up. I use Comcast-Willow Grove (PA). They show the lineup on the headend but it was not offered during set up based on my zip code (it was offered on both the TivoHD and the Premier). So, using a different zip code I have a line up that's exactly the same as my old one. Lastly, in the TiVo FAQ's section on their website is a number for Comcast Cable Card issues. USE THAT NUMBER. Sorry for caps but I spent most of the day on the phone with different comcast people who didn't have a clue. Using that number the lady had me paired and fixed in about 3 minutes.

Last edited by stujac : 12-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.
stujac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
The paperwork said to not use cc but I did because of the location of the card I decided to put it in anyway. I figured I'd have to disconnect and reboot just to insert the card. Made no sense. I called TiVo support this morning and the lady said it would be fine. Now, took about 3 1/2 hours and I'm still not on the correct cable line up. I use Comcast-Willow Grove (PA). They show the lineup on the headend but it was not offered during set up based on my zip code (it was offered on both the TivoHD and the Premier). So, using a different zip code I have a line up that's exactly the same as my old one. Lastly, in the TiVo FAQ's section on their website is a number for Comcast Cable Card issues. USE THAT NUMBER. Sorry for caps but I spent most of the day on the phone with different comcast people who didn't have a clue. Using that number the lady had me paid and fixed in about 3 minutes.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a heck of a time.

For people interested, the page he's talking about is:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2747

Never knew that page existed on Tivo.com.

-Kevin
Old 12-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
At least for the Plus/Pro, the paper says you can still get unencrypted (they mean ClearQAM) channels without a cable card. Yet, after setting everything up, the Tivo itself told me that I needed to install a cable card. (I knew I need a cablecard for normal usage..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
stujac

My unit is still pretty shot. When doing guided set up it doesn't find my cable line up. We used one that is close by and had the same channels but I have no channel info after the local pbs channel (812). All the cable channels, E, HGTV, etc. have no info at all; re-did guided set up again this morning and same deal, no cable line up that is an exact match and no population of information on the channels with missing info. Worst TiVo experience I've had of the 4 total Tivo's I've owned. I put in a ticket this morning. Haven't heard a thing.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
HarperVision

Sounds to me like your Cablecard isn't provisioned/paired properly. Comcast is notorious for that. I used to live near your area and in central PA before moving here to a Time Warner area. I would go into your Cablecard diagnostic screens and see what's being reported. (CP Auth Received, etc)

Last edited by HarperVision : 12-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
stujac

To be honest I've given up trying to solve the lineup issue. I'm using a lineup that is exactly the same, from a neighboring county and everything has populated and if I didn't know I wasn't on my exact lineup I'd never know the difference. It's working very well now after spending a cumulative 5 hours over the days on the lineup issue I'm staying put.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
HarperVision

Well that's good to hear. Last you wrote, you didn't have all your channels coming through using that lineup, but it sounds like you're all set now.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote