TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
timr_42

First Roamio question - CC

So I finally moved to the new tivo's. After having three S2's, and with Charter in my area going totally digital, I decided to get a Roamio.

I'm sure I will have some questions, and will be looking around here for answers, but I have a question about the CC.

Not ever needing one, I thought it was just a card. I went to the cable co to pick one up. They gave it to me, plus a little box, about the size of a small cable modem.

I asked what it was for and the agent had zero idea. After going thru tivo install I inserted the CC. Couldn't get it to work. I called Charter and they went thru some stuff. During the call I asked them about this little box and they had no idea either. Since we never could get the tivo to work with the CC, I decided to try and plug the box in. So, I put it between the cable and the tivo. After quite a while the tivo started to get channels.

Is this box normal? I didn't think anything else was needed with a CC, but I guess I was wrong.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Scooterj

I have one also

I have COX cable they told me it is because you need a 2 way signal for Tivo to work with the cable card. I thought they were blowing smoke for more money but I did need it for the Tivo to work. Between that and the cable card it cost me $3 a month.
Scooterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

This is the much maligned, but needed, tuning adapter.

If you have problems with cablecards and tuning adapters, the national cable card numbers have much better trained reps. Charter's number is 1-888-438-2427. Other numbers and links are given in TiVo's page http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2747
Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
tatergator1

The additional box is a Tuning Adapter. It is required because part of your providers cable channels are delivered via a technology known as Switched Digital Video (SDV).

The fact that you received channels after hooking up the extra box is simply a coincidence. A Tivo will work fine with only a CableCard, but you would only get the Linear channels on your cable system (i.e. those not sent by SDV). That, of course, assumes your providers technical support staff on the other end of the phone line actually know how to set the card up in their system.

Anyways, sounds like it worked out in the end. Hope you enjoy your Tivo!
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
timr_42

I have another issue. Once the CC started working, about half of the channels didn't have guide data and a lot of channels won't come on. I would say half if not more than the pay channels(HBO...) won't come up.

I have called Charter, and they are sending someone out tonight, but wondered if this could be a tivo issue instead of Charter.

Any ideas?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
tatergator1

When you say "don't have guide data" do you mean the channel is listed in the Tivo guide, but no information is given; or is the channel not included in the Tivo guide at all, but you can still tune to it by entering the number? If it's the latter, I would re-run Guided Setup on the Tivo and make sure you selected the proper lineup for you cable company. There is often more than one to choose from for a particular zip code.

As for trouble with some of the HBO channels, that is likely something wrong with how Charter has the CC setup in their system.

Good luck.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr_42 View Post
I have another issue. Once the CC started working, about half of the channels didn't have guide data and a lot of channels won't come on. I would say half if not more than the pay channels(HBO...) won't come up.

I have called Charter, and they are sending someone out tonight, but wondered if this could be a tivo issue instead of Charter.

Any ideas?
Did Charter just recently switch to digital in your area? If so, you will need to re-do guided setup and not select the default lineup for your zip so it will give you the entire list. Most likely you have a "digital rebuild" lineup that you need to use.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
timr_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Did Charter just recently switch to digital in your area? If so, you will need to re-do guided setup and not select the default lineup for your zip so it will give you the entire list. Most likely you have a "digital rebuild" lineup that you need to use.
They are going to switch to all digital, but hasn't happened yet.

The lineup is on the tivo. Just don't show guide data. For example, USA has guide data, but TNT doesn't.

Also, a lot of the old 'digital' tier doesn't work. Some channels work, some don't.

BBCA does not work. I will lose my mind if this is not fixed before Christmas so I can watch "time of the doctor" LOL
Old 12-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
lpwcomp

See here for Tuning Adapter installation instructions.

Note that it is not enough to just install the box between the cable and the TiVo. You must also connect it to the TiVo via USB.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
chicagobrownblue

Quote:

Any ideas?
I had this problem. I selected the wrong channel lineup when I first went through Guided Setup. I repeated Guided Setup, chose the other channel lineup. The guide data for all channels populated fairly rapidly.
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
rainwater

Quote:
They are going to switch to all digital, but hasn't happened yet.

The lineup is on the tivo. Just don't show guide data. For example, USA has guide data, but TNT doesn't.

Also, a lot of the old 'digital' tier doesn't work. Some channels work, some don't.

BBCA does not work. I will lose my mind if this is not fixed before Christmas so I can watch "time of the doctor" LOL
If you have channels that don't show guide data, then you are probably using the wrong lineup and need to redo Guided Setup. Many times there are multiple lineups.

As for channels not working... That either means your cablecard is not paired or you don't have your tuning adapter installed/activated correctly.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
tim1724

Quote:

BBC America is usually an SDV channel on Charter. So you will need to make sure your Tuning Adapter is working and properly connected.
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
timr_42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
See here for Tuning Adapter installation instructions.

Note that it is not enough to just install the box between the cable and the TiVo. You must also connect it to the TiVo via USB.
That was the problem. I saw no notes from Tivo on that. Also the people at Charter had zero idea. Funny thing was, I didn't know what a tuning adapter was until now. When I picked up the CC, Charter gave me this little box. I asked them what it was for and they didn't know.

When I called in to pair the CC the rep on the phone didn't know what it was, and when we couldn't get the CC to work, I plugged it in. That got it to kinda work, but again, Charter didn't tell me I had to get the USB cable.

Tivo didn't know either. The rep I talked to last night was very friendly and tried to help but she had zero idea about the cable. I got it to work based upon your post.

Thanks again!