TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
epereira

Clone Tivo XL4 hard drive?

New to the forum and can't seem to find a definitive answer..

I have a Tivo XL4 (2TB) and I would like to clone the hard drive to a new 2TB hard drive (as a spare backup). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by epereira : 09-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
epereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

instructions are in the upgrade forum. Look for JMFS tool. There is also a new backup tool that has been created, but have never used.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
epereira

With JMFS do I need to supersize and expand since I am going from 2TB to 2TB? Has anyone tried it on the XL4?
epereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Smokeball

My oldest Premiere XL4 is now 18 months old and I have noticed the first indications that my hard drive is starting to show its age and hard use.

I've searched the forums and have not been able to find a definitive discussion of "cloning" the 2TB hard drives that are installed in these particular units, Series4.

I have changed out hard drives in my TIVOs over the years, doing so in Series 2s and Series3 s. I don't think I ever did a Series 1.

Several Questions

1. What would be the best hard drive?

How about this one?

2. Would the JMFS Version 1.04 software still be the best way to CLONE?

3. After cloning, would I have to turn off "IntelliPower" and change the audio settings to "128" as I have seen in some youtube videos?

I have searched the forums for this information a lot last night and this morning and have had no luck. If this information is already here, please forgive my poor searching skills.
Smokeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Teeps

I use linux command "DD" (w/o quotes) to clone or bit copy TiVo drives.
It's not pretty and takes a long time; but has always worked for me.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-u...one-hard-disk/
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeball View Post
My oldest Premiere XL4 is now 18 months old and I have noticed the first indications that my hard drive is starting to show its age and hard use.

I've searched the forums and have not been able to find a definitive discussion of "cloning" the 2TB hard drives that are installed in these particular units, Series4.

I have changed out hard drives in my TIVOs over the years, doing so in Series 2s and Series3 s. I don't think I ever did a Series 1.

Several Questions

How about this one?

3. After cloning, would I have to turn off "IntelliPower" and change the audio settings to "128" as I have seen in some youtube videos?

I have searched the forums for this information a lot last night and this morning and have had no luck. If this information is already here, please forgive my poor searching skills.
The drive you posted would be perfect. That drive is an AV drive so no need to disable Intellipark, it comes disabled from the factory. Also that drive does not have AAM so no need to worry about adjusting the settings. JMFS is the best I've found so far, thats what I've always used. There is DvrBARS but I've never tried or used it, not sure how it works.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Smokeball

Thanks for the replies.

I'll order the hard drive and let you all know how things go.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
jjon2121

Why wouldn't cloning software work? Such as:
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard http://www.disk-partition.com/free-p...n-manager.html
or
MiniToolŽ Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.1.1http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html
jjon2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Smokeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjon2121 View Post
AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard http://www.disk-partition.com/free-p...n-manager.html
or
MiniToolŽ Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.1.1http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html
Aren't those programs written for WINDOWS machines?

The TIVO systems use LINUX.

The videos I've seen all say disconnect your WINDOWS hard drives and only connect your TIVO hard drives. The JMFS disk boots up in the CDROM and handles the cloning job.

I've never done a TIVO hard drive CLONE before so I'm not completely certain I have the facts just right. I'd appreciate any expert advice on the matter.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjon2121 View Post
or
one problem right here:

Quote:
Partition Wizard supports the most commonly used Windows file systems, including FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.
TiVo uses Linux and a proprietary file system that Partition Wizard doesn't appear to recognize.

PS. feel free to try either one and report back.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
jjon2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post
one problem right here:

TiVo uses Linux and a proprietary file system that Partition Wizard doesn't appear to recognize.

PS. feel free to try either one and report back.
Your right. They both showed the tivo disk as unallocated.
jjon2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
ggieseke

And still people won't use DvrBARS...

Sigh
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeball View Post

Several Questions

How about this one?

The older version, the WD20EURS, will work just fine, and Amazon has it for $95, free shipping right now.

I'm currently running 3 of them in 2 original S3s and one S3 HD.

The feature that needs to be turned off on some WD "green" drives is "Intellipark".

Apparently the WD20EURS's made in the past several months are leaving the factory with it disabled already, but the

wdidle3.exe

utility, available on the free Ultimate Boot cd (of which everyone should have a copy) can tell you if it's enabled or not

wdidle3 /R

and can disable it if it isn't already

wdidle3 /D

Also on the UBCD is diagnostic software from several different drive makers, including WD, and before putting any drive into service the maker's own long test should be run on it, because sometimes sh1t happens during shipping.

If one wishes to "Xerox" a TiVo drive to another of the same size (same LBA number, actually) then one should use the Linux/Unix utility

dd

or the more feature-heavy

dd_rescue

(available on the MFS Live cd v1.4, among other places)

or the similar but slightly newer

ddrescue

(more properly Gnu ddrescue)

which is available on the jmfs cd v1.04 (it's what jmfs uses to do the copying part of what it does) and it's also available on the UBCD.

All 3 of those don't take any notice of which partition scheme or file system a drive uses, or even if the drive is formatted or not, they just do a byte for byte copy of whatever's there.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
TiVoTJung

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
And still people won't use DvrBARS...

Sigh
Can i use DvrBARS to clone a drive thats the same size? i think my 2tb drive in my xl4 took a dump. i was going to buy a replacement off of weakness and then clone it for a back up.
TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #15
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoTJung View Post
Can i use DvrBARS to clone a drive thats the same size? i think my 2tb drive in my xl4 took a dump. i was going to buy a replacement off of weakness and then clone it for a back up.
DvrBARS is drive-to-file (backup) or file-to-drive (restore). It doesn't do drive-to-drive copies. A truncated backup file is usually around 1.5GB for a Premiere, which you can easily fit on a $10 flash drive or burn to DVD for safe keeping. If you ever need to build another drive from the backup file it only takes a few minutes, and in the meantime you don't have a 2TB drive sitting around doing nothing.

I already have an image of a factory XL4, so let me know if you want a copy. With your own blank 2TB drive you can be back up and running for about $90.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
TiVoTJung

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
DvrBARS is drive-to-file (backup) or file-to-drive (restore). It doesn't do drive-to-drive copies. A truncated backup file is usually around 1.5GB for a Premiere, which you can easily fit on a $10 flash drive or burn to DVD for safe keeping. If you ever need to build another drive from the backup file it only takes a few minutes, and in the meantime you don't have a 2TB drive sitting around doing nothing.

I already have an image of a factory XL4, so let me know if you want a copy. With your own blank 2TB drive you can be back up and running for about $90.
LOL i am evidently too new to send you a PM.
TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote