TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
marklyn

Yet a few more questions about Roamio series

I have some questions I either couldn't find the right answer for or found conflicting answers. I'd appreciate some help in the questions below.

I'm getting the Roamio Plus and 3 mini's.

1. Can a season pass be setup/managed from a mini? I'm re-asking because two different Tivo reps told me I couldn't do this, nor could I record a show I'm watching from a mini. That sounded wrong, so I ask here.

2. Can I manage season passes through an outside internet connection?

3. What, if anything, can I do from an outside internet connection in regard to the Roamio?

4. Is there any internet functionality (inside of your network) that you can do with a Roamio?

5. Is there a screen that tells me if a recording didn't record as planned, including when/if a tuner doesn't tune it in properly?

6. How dynamic is the online guide, meaning, does it change if something is going to be preempted on short notice (1 day?) ?

7. Is it possible to use one of the outputs on the Roamio to feed a coax cable that runs to my kitchen TV? If so would an adapter be needed?

8. Do the mini's have RF and IR capability?

That's all the questions I couldn't find good, solid answers for. For some of them I found more than one answer, usually conflicting each other.

Thanks
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I have some questions I either couldn't find the right answer for or found conflicting answers. I'd appreciate some help in the questions below.

I'm getting the Roamio Plus and 3 mini's.

1. Can a season pass be setup/managed from a mini? I'm re-asking because two different Tivo reps told me I couldn't do this, nor could I record a show I'm watching from a mini. That sounded wrong, so I ask here.

2. Can I manage season passes through an outside internet connection?

Yes, log into your TiVo account

3. What, if anything, can I do from an outside internet connection in regard to the Roamio?

4. Is there any internet functionality (inside of your network) that you can do with a Roamio?

5. Is there a screen that tells me if a recording didn't record as planned, including when/if a tuner doesn't tune it in properly?

Yes, it is there but I can't remember how to get to it.

6. How dynamic is the online guide, meaning, does it change if something is going to be preempted on short notice (1 day?) ?

Most likely not as that up to the guide service TiVo uses

7. Is it possible to use one of the outputs on the Roamio to feed a coax cable that runs to my kitchen TV? If so would an adapter be needed?

TiVos now do not have any coax output, that ended with the Series 2.

8. Do the mini's have RF and IR capability?

No

That's all the questions I couldn't find good, solid answers for. For some of them I found more than one answer, usually conflicting each other.

Thanks
That all the answers I have.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
eric102

Answer to #1 is yes, I just added a season pass from my mini last night and also reordered their priority's in the season pass manager.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
eric102

For #8 if you need RF a Tivo Slide remote with a dongle should work with the mini.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

1) Yes. The Mini is basically a reflection of the host TiVo. Originally you couldn't access the To Do List or SP manager from the Mini, but they added that with the Fall update a month or two ago.

2) Yes, either via their website or via the iOS app.

3) You can access most (all?) of the features of the iOS app. Also if you have a Roamio Plus/Pro, or a Basic with add-on Stream, you can watch any unprotected shows outside the home as well.

4) Not sure what you mean by this, but the iOS app allows you to do almost anything you can do on the TiVo itself. (i.e. schedule recordings, manage SPs, manage To Do List, etc...)

5) Yes there is a History screen with this info.

6) TiVo has the ability to send last minute changes to the boxes if they're alerted to them, but it's rarely used. There are several companies the data has to propagate through before it gets to TiVo so last minute updates aren't very common.

7) The Roamio does not have an RF out, but you can get an RF modulator afor like $15.

8) The Mini is IR only, but you can get a Slide Pro with dongle and it'll add RF. You can even use the dongle to pair the remote that comes with your Roamio to the Mini and then use the Slide on the Roamio. (they use the same RF technology)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
marklyn

I'm chuckling to myself because several of these answers that were given to my by someone at Tivo.com (tivo chat) are dead wrong. For example, I was specifically told you could set up a recording online but couldn't do anything to add or modify a season pass. Another untruth, the mini's have both RF and IR capability!
Mind you, this is from at least two different chat conversations, on different days, with Tivo people
I thought it was a good idea for me to ask these questions from people who have real experiences and understanding.

side note question:
I notice the android app says you can browse your recorded shows list. Although I asked the tivo.com people this question as on 'online' request, they could have mentioned that you can do this via an android/iOS app, no?
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I'm chuckling to myself because several of these answers that were given to my by someone at Tivo.com (tivo chat) are dead wrong. For example, I was specifically told you could set up a recording online but couldn't do anything to add or modify a season pass. Another untruth, the mini's have both RF and IR capability!
Mind you, this is from at least two different chat conversations, on different days, with Tivo people
I thought it was a good idea for me to ask these questions from people who have real experiences and understanding.
The answers you received weren't really "dead wrong." It's a matter of the chat reps sticking to the script without offering up additional info.

Season Pass management (i.e. setting up/modifying) is not possible "online" via tivo.com. These actions can, however, be done via the Tivo mobile app while outside your home network.

The Mini does not have RF capability out of the box. You can, however, use the RF dongle that ships with the Tivo Slide Pro remote and use it with the Mini, thereby making the Mini RF capable.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah I think with the Android app you can see the list of shows and start one playing on the TV, but you can't yet watch the shows on the Android device like you can in iOS. That's supposedly coming early next year.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The answers you received weren't really "dead wrong." It's a matter of the chat reps sticking to the script without offering up additional info.

Season Pass management (i.e. setting up/modifying) is not possible "online" via tivo.com. These actions can, however, be done via the Tivo mobile app while outside your home network.

The Mini does not have RF capability out of the box. You can, however, use the RF dongle that ships with the Tivo Slide Pro remote and use it with the Mini, thereby making the Mini RF capable.
Thanks for the details. It's a shame you can't have the same functionality online that you have with an app.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

You can do some stuff online. You can reorder SPs and delete them. You can also add new SPs for shows. But you can't modify the recording properties of shows already in Now Playing or the SP Manager.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
LaughingGravy

Can you see video on both composite and HDMI if both are hooked up on the Roamios?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes, but if the video requires HDCP and the TV is turned on then you will get a message about the video not being able to be displayed over the composite connection. If the TV is off then composite will work fine.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
razor237

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingGravy View Post
Can you see video on both composite and HDMI if both are hooked up on the Roamios?
There are some HDMI Switches and HDMI Extenders that will basically do a Keep alive of the HDCP encryption or there are some the remove it all together.

I was having issues with my slingbox and found a $20 HDMI extender that solved my problem and allows video to always output on the component Video even when the TV is off now

Just figured i would throw that out there
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote