TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
tturner23

Could This Work: A Comcast OnDemand App in the Opera Store

Comcast's OnDemand rollout is DOA. I understand that there were some technical issues that only allowed a few areas to experience Comcast OnDemand on their TiVo boxes but what if they developed an app for the Opera TV Store? Couldn't Comcast release one piece of software and all TiVo's (that have access to the Opera Store) would have access to their OnDemand library? There's already an OnDemand app in both the Apple App Store and Google Play so its not crazy to think that they could develope one for the Opera Store, right?
tturner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
rainwater

It is doubtful. Not that it isn't technically possible. But Comcast has to have an agreement with each hardware maker before they will allow their app on that hardware. And because the Opera TV Store is setup to work on multiple devices, I just don't see that happening.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
tturner23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It is doubtful. Not that it isn't technically possible. But Comcast has to have an agreement with each hardware maker before they will allow their app on that hardware.
If I had to guess the Opera TV folks would jump at the chance to have an app of that caliber in their store, I don't think they would say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
And because the Opera TV Store is setup to work on multiple devices, I just don't see that happening.
The Apple App Store and Google Play can be setup on multiple devices. The app would still require you to sign in to you Comcast account in order to view OnDemand stuff just like the other apps.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

It does sounds smart, but This would require a willingness on the part of comcast to pay for the creation and support of this....

-they could have just rolled out a flash-based app years ago and avoided the current nonsense of spotty coverage

-they already pretty fractured with all of their non-standardized infrastructure, differing hardware and software platforms.

-tivo is the competition. They are trying hard to fix and rollout X1

-they have shown no desire to spend money to train their support people, who mostly know little to nothing about tivos, cable cards etc, nor about the current version of on-demand

-comcast is ALL about profits today, this week, this month, this quarter. There is little to no financial upside to either supporting the old way, or in rolling out a new app.

-despite their hip xfinity branding, they are a giant corporation. Giant corporations tend to move glacially. They probably have been working on a flash app and have gotten so far as to show a snazzy display of the xfinity logo
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturner23 View Post
If I had to guess the Opera TV folks would jump at the chance to have an app of that caliber in their store, I don't think they would say no.
It is more than a matter of Comcast asking Opera to allow their app. It would probably cost Opera a good amount of money. And I doubt Comcast would ever come to Opera TV to begin with.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

The service offered via iOS/Android/XBox is different then what's offered via TiVo. The TiVo service is real VOD. It's exactly the same thing as you'd get with a Comcast cable box, the only difference is the TiVo is communicating with the head end server over the internet rather then via the coax itself. The service offered on iOS/Android/XBox is pure IP and only offers a subset of the content available via the real VOD service.

That being said I think the industry is heading towards pure IP VOD distribution eventually anyway, so the IP version may catch up to the real VOD offering. And there is nothing preventing Comcast from offering access to the IP based service via an app that will run on TiVo to all their customers. Unlike the real VOD option available in some markets the IP based service doesn't require any local level upgrades so it should be much easier for them to roll out. The only issue they may have is with content providers who tend to treat VOD differently then video delivered via IP.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
tturner23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The service offered via iOS/Android/XBox is different then what's offered via TiVo.
Well I can't access any aspect of OnDemand on my TiVo at this point so I would gladly take the iOS/Android/XBox verison over the nothing I have right now.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
JosephB

The problem wasn't the platform, the problem was Comcast was only mildly interested and quickly lost even that little bit of interest. Having the Opera app store available doesn't make it any more interesting to Comcast, if it was a priority for them they would have completed the TiVo rollout.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not quite. The way the current method works require a pretty major upgrade to the headend VOD servers. Basically they have to install a whole new VOD server that supports something called seachange. This allows the TiVo to communicate with the VOD server over the internet but continues to deliver the content via typical QAM channel.

The newer IP based VOD stuff that's available on iOS/XBox is like Netflix streaming. Everything happens over the internet. So it would be a lot easier for them to offer it in all markets without having to upgrade the VOD headend.

Edit: I found some news clips from last year that say Comcast ended their relationship with Seachange and is switching over to Cisco servers instead. So not only are we not going to see any new markets there is a possibility we could see current markets go away. That would suck for those that are use to having access to VOD.

Last edited by Dan203 : 12-18-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
tturner23

Quote:
Edit: I found some news clips from last year that say Comcast ended their relationship with Seachange and is switching over to Cisco servers instead. So not only are we not going to see any new markets there is a possibility we could see current markets go away. That would suck for those that are use to having access to VOD.
Goddammit Comcast...
Old 12-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Ugh. The wife's not going to be happy if that happens in our area.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Philmatic

Dave just reported that Comcast and TiVo are continuing the VoD rollout, great timing!

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/...emand-rollout/
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... Maybe they had to redo the app to support the new Cisco VOD servers? Maybe they have a similar IP based communication tech to the Seachange stuff?