TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #31
rcoates777

DLFL -

Would that I had direct access to the supervisor with whom I met once at the local TWC office but I don't. I do have good rapport with one of the counter women at the local office. I am going to try to get her to get me a number for him and barring that my plan is to write a note to him and have her pass it to him when he's in the office.

Even the phone # for the local office usually has me talking to someone in the Philippines.

I wish I had the special direct # of the CableCard/TA hotline that the techs use that would allow me to "jump the queue" rather than be on hold forever.

So what do you think of the fact that my TA rebooted at the exact same time as it did 2 days before?
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I have the same thoughts as you. Your whole problem is new territory to me.

I usually get a Philippines CSR when I call about an internet problem but not for cable TV issues.

Do you have the TWC national cable card help desk number?
866-532-2598
Don't hesitate to call them -- they talk directly to customers. For some systems they can actually look at your account and send signals.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
rcoates777

TA reboot workaround plan

I am trying to be pragmatic about getting my TA reboot issues resolved. There are threads on this going back years that have never reached a satisfactory conclusion. It seems like if Cisco or a cable company or TiVo put somebody on this they could figure it out in a couple of days.

The biggest annoyance for me is having the TA reboot during a recording and having that recording terminate prematurely.

Most of the channels that I watch in central NC are NOT SDV. So I can get along most of the time without the TA. But IF the TA reboots it will terminate any current show(s) being recorded. It is also a pain if you are watching a prerecorded show and a reboot occurs since you have to manually position back to the point where your viewing was interrupted.

My current MO is to leave the USB cable disconnected except for when I need to watch an SDV channel. There are only 2 that I watch and not all that often. When a TA reboot occurs the TiVo will not be aware of it with the USB cable unplugged.

Not elegant but it does provide some peace of mind in that it prevents interruption of shows being recorded.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #34
rcoates777

more reboot data points

So far my plan of leaving the USB cable unplugged (except for when I need to watch one of my few SDV channels) seems to be a viable workaround. I have verified a few points:
  • the TA will still reboot even with the USB cable unplugged. That tells me that the cause of the reboot is not the TiVo
  • a recording will be stopped whenever the USB connection is lost OR reestablished. (This loss & reestablishment occurs during the TA reboot.) The recording will NOT automatically resume.
  • the reestablishment of the USB connection does not prevent future recordings from taking place
  • with the USB unplugged one cannot get into the TA diagnostics to check the last TA reboot date/time

Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
rcoates777

unintended benefit of TA

I had an interesting episode recently. I could not get the Guide info to clear no matter what I did. I could navigate within it just fine but when I hit CLEAR it would just stay there. I tried everything short of pulling the plug.

I didn't want to spend 10 minutes rebooting so I plugged in my TA (normally unplugged - see earlier posts) and got the Tuning Adapter Connected msg and the Guide info cleared.

So the TA is providing me a benefit after all.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #36
stepbill

Just curious if you can use your tivo without the tuning adapter. I don't really really watch the channels that you need the adapter for. I live in Aberdeen, right next door.
stepbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #37
rcoates777

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
Just curious if you can use your tivo without the tuning adapter. I don't really really watch the channels that you need the adapter for. I live in Aberdeen, right next door.
Bill -

Yes, you can use your TiVo without the tuning adapter and you will get all the regular channels just fine. I often leave the connection (USB) between the TiVo and TA unplugged unless I need to watch a show on one of the 2 or 3 channels that requires it. If it is connected and the TA reboots in the middle of something you are recording then the recording stops - even if it's a channel not requiring the TA. And if you are watching a prerecorded show and the TA reboots you have to restart your show from the beginning and FF to the point of interruption.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #38
Andy D

I have 2 Cisco TA's on 2 Premieres sitting right next to each other. It seens that once very3 to 4 weeks on or the other TA's will just go into a blink mode and require a PO reboot. So fr I have not had both need a reboot at be same time.

From reading this I guess there no real solution. The timer option would not work for me a I often record shows in the middle of the night while I sleep. Cisco or Charter needs to find a permenant solution so these things do not need to be rebooted.

Andy
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #39
rcoates777

I replaced my TA and (knock wood) this seems to have resolved my frequent TA reboot issues. I really didn't think that would help.

While I was out of town my wife signed us up for $3/mo. Showtime offer from TWC. Good deal except that we get no picture! Calling TWC CS results in their sending out some signal which does nothing. I'm assuming that the signal they send is to the cable card and that this is supposed to enable the reception of this premium channel. Would the cable card hot line perhaps yield better results?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #40
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I would have called the national desk before even posting. This sounds like an account provisioning issue, i.e., they haven't entered the correct channel authorizations at the head end (translated: central office). If that's the problem no amount of sending signals or truck rolls will fix it. Just the right few keystrokes is what is needed.

and
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #41
rcoates777

I just got off the line with the Cable Card National Hot Line. My man, Joe, fixed things very quickly. He said that the process of getting my new channel (SHOW) had started but not completed. He added the missing information and we were quickly up & running. Plus there was only about 15 seconds of my being on hold. These guys are much better than the standard TWC 800 #. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #42
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Sleep well ... your local cable experts are right on top of things.

and
Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #43
andriusb

what kind of tuner did you get? I have a Cisco from Time Warner and the only problems I get is when they decide to change the entire channel lineup like they did a few weeks ago.
andriusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #44
rcoates777

Quote:
Originally Posted by andriusb View Post
what kind of tuner did you get? I have a Cisco from Time Warner and the only problems I get is when they decide to change the entire channel lineup like they did a few weeks ago.
I got a Cisco STA 1520 - same model as I had before. 16 days without a reboot but who's counting? I am quite sure that I am not getting nearly the amount of pixelation that I used to. I don't know the architecture well enough to know if that could have been improved by the new TA but I'll take it.