TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 161 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #721
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Entered the six tuner code, forced reboot and still only seeing 5 tuners. Does that mean my Motorola M-card is not capable of simultaneously streaming 6 tuners? How can I know for certain?

I have another M-card lying around from my Series3 that I was set to return on Monday. I'd try that card but then I'd have to go through the whole repairing process for my premium channels. Is it worth trying?
Are you sure you aren't just looking at the diag screens wrong?
The tuner numbering starts with 0. So if you see 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...then you have all 6.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #722
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
Are you sure you aren't just looking at the diag screens wrong?
The tuner numbering starts with 0. So if you see 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...then you have all 6.
I wasn't looking at a diag screen...I pressed info and selected the interlinked circles to see what was playing on each tuner. There was only one program listed on all five tuners. Manually selected different channels to test it could concurrently buffer/record on all the tuners. Since then the tuner count has mysteriously gone down to four with no further intervention on my end.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #723
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler11563 View Post
[I have] a new NDS CC, updated with OS Ver:VGUARD3.0.7_F.p.0601 (Oct 23rd 2013 build).

To the best of my knowledge - this is the latest CC firmware that's supposed to enable all 6 tuners. HOWEVER - only 5 tuners work. When I enable the 6th tuner, I receive the good ol' V58 error. Backed out to 5 tuners and all is fine... for now.

Thought the tuner issue was supposed to be addressed with the new FW... Can any NY Optimum NDS users chime in on their progress? Maybe one of the TiVo reps on here can also help...
I have Cablevision on Long Island, and the old firmware for my NDS cards yielded v58's galore, even when reducing the tuners to 5 or even 4 (albeit less often). I didn't even realize I had the new firmware until last night, when mysteriously none of the tuners worked, even for nonencrypted (i.e., broadcast) channels. After grumbling about a couple lost recordings, I took a look at the NDS FW for the heck of it, and noted the new rebuild date (same as yours).

So on a whim I cranked up all six tuners, and restarted the TiVo. All the channels came back online, and lo and behold! all six tuners worked, including encrypted (non-broadcast) channels. I'm here with fingers crossed, but this may be an early Christmas present.

Try it again; you may have the same results. Here's hopin' for ya.

Last edited by TishTash : 12-09-2013 at 03:40 AM.
TishTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #724
doubler11563

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishTash View Post
I have Cablevision on Long Island, and the old firmware for my NDS cards yielded v58's galore, even when reducing the tuners to 5 or even 4 (albeit less often). I didn't even realize I had the new firmware until last night, when mysteriously none of the tuners worked, even for nonencrypted (i.e., broadcast) channels. After grumbling about a couple lost recordings, I took a look at the NDS FW for the heck of it, and noted the new rebuild date (same as yours).

So on a whim I cranked up all six tuners, and restarted the TiVo. All the channels came back online, and lo and behold! all six tuners worked, including encrypted (non-broadcast) channels. I'm here with fingers crossed, but this may be an early Christmas present.

Try it again; you may have the same results. Here's hopin' for ya.
The problem is - my CC was already updated with the latest Cablevision FW when it was still in the old Premiere. So when I switched it to the new Roamio - the 6 tuners should've worked - assuming the issue is actually resolved.

I'll try again tonight and will report back. Thanks for the info.
doubler11563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #725
DigitalDawn

Hazel,

That firmware version should work properly with 4 tuners. Perhaps you have a bad card? See if you can get Comcast to give you a new card with 1.5.3 1101.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #726
doubler11563

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Hazel,

That firmware version should work properly with 4 tuners. Perhaps you have a bad card? See if you can get Comcast to give you a new card with 1.5.3 1101.
To clarify - I'm on Cablevision and the CC seems to work fine with 5 tuners, but errors-out when activating the 6th tuner. It was my understanding that the newest FW version of my NDS CC supported ALL tuners. This is critical for my viewing, because I need to utilize the extra tuners for the Minis.

I just received the new Roamio Plus last week, so if the 6-tuner functionality is still not supported in my area, I'll probably be returning the unit.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #727
HarperVision

One thing I noticed while I was in the DVR Diagnostics screen was that even if a certain number of tuners was selected using the 8863x code, if you happen to tune to a channel that won't tune or is analog only still, like we have here in Hawaii (MTV, TVLand, etc.) then it won't even count that tuner as a "Decrypt/Record" tuner device!

I knew I had selected all 4 tuners of my basic and rebooted and after it was back up I checked DVR diags and it only showed 3 tuners, and I was like WTF!!! It took awhile and a call to oceanic TWC to realize it was because TVLand was analog only here so the Roamio couldn't tune it. They have it listed as an SDV channel, not analog only.

These things have so many bugs I'm about to call an exterminator! I noticed Amazon has the Ceton itv6 PCie at $249, Ceton echo at $99, Xbox 360 at $149 now. Maybe I should just chuck this crap to the curb and go back to WMC!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #728
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
I wasn't looking at a diag screen...I pressed info and selected the interlinked circles to see what was playing on each tuner. There was only one program listed on all five tuners. Manually selected different channels to test it could concurrently buffer/record on all the tuners. Since then the tuner count has mysteriously gone down to four with no further intervention on my end.

The screen you were looking at, "interlinked circles", list the channels that are not currently active on your screen. So if you are showing 5 listings there you have a total of 6 active tuners. The other tuner shows up when you first press the "Info" button, (The single circle" selection).
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #729
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
The screen you were looking at, "interlinked circles", list the channels that are not currently active on your screen. So if you are showing 5 listings there you have a total of 6 active tuners. The other tuner shows up when you first press the "Info" button, (The single circle" selection).
Ah yes! So all six tuners are in good form. Cheerio.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #730
cc0n01

Quote:
To clarify - I'm on Cablevision and the CC seems to work fine with 5 tuners, but errors-out when activating the 6th tuner. It was my understanding that the newest FW version of my NDS CC supported ALL tuners. This is critical for my viewing, because I need to utilize the extra tuners for the Minis.

I just received the new Roamio Plus last week, so if the 6-tuner functionality is still not supported in my area, I'll probably be returning the unit.
Six tuners have been working fine for me on Cablevision with the NDS cards for the last two weeks. But I just received a V58 error on one of the tuners last night. So for me all six tuners work but not reliably. When I lose one of the tuners, I call Cablevision and tell the automated line that I have four dashes on my cable box which will initiate a reset to be sent to the cablecard to fix the V58 error.
WHS 1.1 with pyTivo
Cablevision
cc0n01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #731
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0n01 View Post
Six tuners have been working fine for me on Cablevision with the NDS cards for the last two weeks. But I just received a V58 error on one of the tuners last night. So for me all six tuners work but not reliably. When I lose one of the tuners, I call Cablevision and tell the automated line that I have four dashes on my cable box which will initiate a reset to be sent to the cablecard to fix the V58 error.
For you guys with NDS and still having problems, are you reaching out to Ed to also let him know? Are they working on a fix?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #732
pshivers
Retired!

With the 20.3.8 upgrade successfully installed yesterday, I read an indication from other members that the "Tuner 5 &6 Not authorized" problem may also be fixed. Figure there is no way to know for sure without trying, so I have re-enabled all 6 of the tuners on my Roamio Pro from my 5 tuner configuration that has been working for about a month now.

After enabling all 6 tuners with code "88636" and restarting the Roamio this morning I was able to immediately bring up 6 channels all of which require authorization to watch (HBO, ESPN, Lakers, etc) and were known to me to cause the subject problem.

This problem is known to take time to rear its ugly head so all I can do now is use my Roamio Pro as always and see if anything goes wrong in the next week or so....

Wish me luck! -lol-

I'm on Charter in Southern California, so this particular test applies to Charter Users only!
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 12-15-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #733
andyf

Good Luck. Keep us informed.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #734
pshivers
Retired!

That did not take long.... Started to watch the Laker's game on Sportsnet and got a V58 Not Authorized error message. Same error on several other channels I tried switching to.

Oh Well... Back to 5 tuners... :-(
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 12-15-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #735
NJguy

Quote:

Doubler, 6 tuners WILL work. I know exactly what you're talking about. Ed at CV was all over it. I emailed him some pics of what I was experiencing and he jumped on it. This IS NOT a CV issue. It was an issue with TiVo's code. When TiVo pushed out the .6 version it messed up those of us with NDS cards....I was only getting 4 tuners again. The .7 code came very quickly after that and the next day .8 came. Ed at Cablevision was working with .8 version and he noticed I was on an older version and he told me about the .8 push coming back the beginning of the week but didn't know when TiVo would push it. He said on the .8 version the NDS cards were running solid. When I saw the push of .8 on Friday morning I went back to 6 tuners and TV got heavy use yesterday as we were snowed in and not one V58 message.

Long story short. You should be fine with 6 tuners now. Ed is super responsive and even asked me to give him some feedback after .8 was pushed. Cablevision has a gem of an employee with Ed. He was even emailing me during the week at 9 and 10pm to help. I've never met the man but he's great in my book. If I remember correctly, I pm'd you Ed's email address a few weeks back. Use it he is great.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #736
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
Doubler, 6 tuners WILL work. I know exactly what you're talking about. Ed at CV was all over it. I emailed him some pics of what I was experiencing and he jumped on it. This IS NOT a CV issue. It was an issue with TiVo's code. When TiVo pushed out the .6 version it messed up those of us with NDS cards....I was only getting 4 tuners again. The .7 code came very quickly after that and the next day .8 came. Ed at Cablevision was working with .8 version and he noticed I was on an older version and he told me about the .8 push coming back the beginning of the week but didn't know when TiVo would push it. He said on the .8 version the NDS cards were running solid. When I saw the push of .8 on Friday morning I went back to 6 tuners and TV got heavy use yesterday as we were snowed in and not one V58 message.

Long story short. You should be fine with 6 tuners now. Ed is super responsive and even asked me to give him some feedback after .8 was pushed. Cablevision has a gem of an employee with Ed. He was even emailing me during the week at 9 and 10pm to help. I've never met the man but he's great in my book. If I remember correctly, I pm'd you Ed's email address a few weeks back. Use it he is great.
I wish it weren't so rare to find this sort of employee at larger companies. And I wish it were somehow easier to find ways to ensure the management knows they should be cloning these people somehow, or at least their methods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #737
cc0n01

I agree with comments about Ed from cablevision. He has been responsive whenever I contacted him.

I didn't know about the .8 update. I need to check if I received it.
WHS 1.1 with pyTivo
Cablevision
cc0n01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #738
doubler11563

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post

Since the .8 update - reverted back to all 6-tuners - recorded six protected channels at the same time and no issues. Also tried to a combination of protected and unprotected channels - so far no V58 errors.
Much thanks to Ed from Cablevision and Margret from TiVo for seeing this through and of course to the users on this forum for pointing me in the right direction for a solution.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #739
tedede

Does anyone know if it's possible to get 1.5.3.1101 in the Nashua, NH area. I've seen postings saying it's coming in Q1 2014, but I was wondering if calling the right person would get it earlier.

I'm currently at 1.5.2.3001 and getting random unauthorized errors. I know I can reduce the number of tuners but am hoping to avoid that.

Last edited by tedede : 12-17-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Said Q4 but meant Q1 2014
tedede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #740
jadziedzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedede View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to get 1.5.3.1101 in the Nashua, NH area. I've seen postings saying it's coming in Q4, but I was wondering if calling the right person would get it earlier.

I'm currently at 1.5.2.3001 and getting random unauthorized errors. I know I can reduce the number of tuners but am hoping to avoid that.
Are you a Comcast subscriber? I ask because all of the CableCARDs I have from Comcast are Motorola brand MediaCipher units. I wasn't aware that one could mix different vendors' cards on a single head end. (I live in Nashua BTW.)
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #741
tedede

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
Are you a Comcast subscriber? I ask because all of the CableCARDs I have from Comcast are Motorola brand MediaCipher units. I wasn't aware that one could mix different vendors' cards on a single head end. (I live in Nashua BTW.)
I'm in Amherst, a former Adelphia town. Probably should have said "Londonderry Area".
tedede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #742
Elgato54

I am in Tucson and have Cox.
With the exception of the random reboots the Roamio Plus seemed to be ok. All six tuners seemed to work and no channels were missing.
Following the upgrade a few channels were just black or unauthorized.
Spent some time with Cox and they wanted to replace the Cable card.
I pulled it out and it was a SA PKM800 from 2007 with HW 1.2 and "F"
Tivo reported PKEY-1.5.3_F.p.0601

Cox said that they would have a new card ready at the store on Monday.
After driving nine miles and waiting 30 minutes all they had was the same card from 2010 with a huge dent in the side. Same HW 1.2 and "F"

Gave this card a try. Tivo reported the same firmware version. Cox repaired and did some resets. Now more channels were missing! Cox was confused and wanted to send out a tech.

Went to the other Cox store (22 miles) and picked up another PKM800 from 2011. Same HW 1.2 and "F"
Tivo reported the same firmware. Apparently 1.5.3_F.p.0601 is the most current for Cox. The Cablecard tech said that they have no way of upgrading firmware and it only gets upgraded when engineering decides to do a mass push.

Installed this card, re-paired and did a few resets. Much to my surprise all of the channels were back! The tech said he did a default initialization on the card which had not been done previously.

Not sure why its working with what seems to be the same hardware and software versions.

Does anyone know if Cox has deployed and PKM801 or PKM 908 cards?
Elgato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #743
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgato54 View Post
I am in Tucson and have Cox.

I pulled it out and it was a SA PKM800 from 2007 with HW 1.2 and "F"
Tivo reported PKEY-1.5.3_F.p.0601

Does anyone know if Cox has deployed and PKM801 or PKM 908 cards?
I have not seen anything but PKM800's in Phoenix, been to several stores and asked for anything newer, and no one claimed to find anything else.

PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601 is the latest firmware Cox has deployed,

In fact Cox is using this same firmware on their own Contour 6 Tuner Cisco DVR, although their DVR has a PKM908 installed from the factory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #744
Elgato54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I have not seen anything but PKM800's in Phoenix, been to several stores and asked for anything newer, and no one claimed to find anything else.

In fact Cox is using this same firmware on their own Contour 6 Tuner Cisco DVR, although their DVR has a PKM908 installed from the factory.
Thanks.
How is it working out for you?
Elgato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #745
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

I have two PKM802 cards from Cox, and they have the highest serial numbers of any I have, the rest being PKM800.

Before I return lower S/N PKM800 cards, thinking that the PKM802s are the best to have, can you give me a reason to re-think this thinking?

I used to only see 802s in their own equipment, and only see 800s given out as standalone. I've tried, many times, to ask Cox about it, but I get told they show all my cards are PKM800 (and the register slip reflects that), although two of the S/Ns on that slip, and in their computer records are, in fact, PKM802s. Asking about why I have two of them gets me nowhere.

I like consistency, but I also can tell a new card from one that has been refurbished. All my cards were very obviously new (although a card that spent its life inside a cable box, would be protected from having signs of use). Sometimes I'd get ones that looked like they were hit repeatedly with a ball-peen hammer, and was frequently told "there's no such thing as new Cox equipment, it's all recycled and refurbished, then re-issued back into use", when I'd bring them in and ask for "new ones".
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #746
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgato54 View Post
Thanks.
How is it working out for you?
My Roamio Pro is doing very well, especially after the 20.3.8 update.

Never had any issues with all 6 tuners not working, except in the very beginning back in early Sept, all my issues were SDV tuning and missed recordings on SDV channels, but rebooting the TA every few days seemed to fix that, and now 20.3.8 hopefully I will not have to reboot the TA so often.

Roamio Pro CableCARD is a PKM800, Part# 4011354 0J, 08/03/11, HW 1.2 "F"
Elite/XL4 CableCARD is a PKM800, Part# 4011354 0J, 07/07/11, HW 1.2 "F"
Premiere CableCARD is a PKM800, Part# 4011354 0J, 10/25/10, HW 1.2 "F"

As far as SA/Cisco CableCARDS go (technically)
  • PKM800 & PKM802 are for Retail devices standalone CCs (this my be incorrect, my Cox HD STB contains a PKM802)
  • PKM801/803/908 are shipped already installed in a Cisco STB/DVR
All models run the same OS Version: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide...1.5.3.0601.pdf

I don't think there is a huge difference between them, except the 908 supports 8 tuners, and all the others only support 6 tuners

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 12-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #747
Philmatic

I got to say, since installing 20.3.8, I've been able to re-enable my 5th and 6th tuners and all is well. My late night Friends recordings no longer crap out halfway through and I no longer turn on the TV to find V58 errors.

I'm happy. This is Cox in Santa Barbara btw, Cisco Cablecard PKM800 with PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601 installed an SA SDV adapter. I don't believe any of my issues were due to the CableCard, my issues were solely isolated to SDV tuning issues.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #748
jntc

Comcast user here with an SA 800 card and 1.5.2.1101 firmware (Harford County, MD) (No SDV, just the cable card)

I'm getting a LOT of v58 errors. I tried the tuning ideas presented by TivoMargret and when switching between tuners it appears that only 3 are actually working (not quite sure I did this right though). However, I've been able to record 5 shows with no problems, but when tuning I get v58 errors a LOT - I can change back and forth a few times and the channel will usually come in okay after that. Also, on some of my mini's I'm getting audio disappearing altogether and I have to reboot for it to 'fix' itself. V58's on the mini's as well.

I've had Comcast re-pair the card twice now, but still getting the unauth'd v58s

Do I have a bad Roamio (this is the second one I've tried) ? A bad cablecard? I know they support 6 tuners cause they offer the X1 in our area, and it works.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #749
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
Comcast user here with an SA 800 card and 1.5.2.1101 firmware (Harford County, MD) (No SDV, just the cable card)

I'm getting a LOT of v58 errors. I tried the tuning ideas presented by TivoMargret and when switching between tuners it appears that only 3 are actually working (not quite sure I did this right though). However, I've been able to record 5 shows with no problems, but when tuning I get v58 errors a LOT - I can change back and forth a few times and the channel will usually come in okay after that. Also, on some of my mini's I'm getting audio disappearing altogether and I have to reboot for it to 'fix' itself. V58's on the mini's as well.

I've had Comcast re-pair the card twice now, but still getting the unauth'd v58s

Do I have a bad Roamio (this is the second one I've tried) ? A bad cablecard? I know they support 6 tuners cause they offer the X1 in our area, and it works.
You need a cable card firmware upgrade from Comcast. Pester them until they give it to you.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #750
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
You need a cable card firmware upgrade from Comcast. Pester them until they give it to you.
What version do I need? This card 'updated' when I first plugged it in. Do I need a new card? Or, how do I get a firmware update?
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote