TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
bluebsh

Does the mini have dynamic tuner allocation now?

I ask this because I keep having my main premier xl4 box going into recording 4 shows at once mode, even though I have a mini... this started in the past two months where I will turn on the mini and be told live tv isn't available now because all tuners are in use, and I have to cancel recordings just to watch live tv now...
bluebsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. They added it a few weeks ago with the Fall update.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

For you to watch live TV on the mini, the main Tivo has to record it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
For you to watch live TV on the mini, the main Tivo has to record it.
That's not true. The Mini can simply borrow a live tuner from the host TiVo. But it can only do that if the host TiVo is not recording. Unfortunately it appears TiVo allows suggestions to take priority over live TV on the Mini so if you have suggestions recording then you may get a "no tuner available" message when trying to watch live TV on the Mini.

The Stream requires you to record to watch live TV, but not the Mini.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
bluebsh

Is there anyway to dedicate a tuner still? I am already getting sick of having to cancel recordings to watch live tv on my mini, sure dynamic is nice, but I don't really want it the way I have my system set up.. the device tells me it had to turn off live tv due to a "setting" on my main box... what setting? I went through all the settings menus and can't find anything tuner related... and I THOUGHT there use to be one for tuner allocation
Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
razor237

I think they took that away when they went to dynamic tuner allocation, I cant find it on my mini
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
lapdog12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's not true. The Mini can simply borrow a live tuner from the host TiVo. But it can only do that if the host TiVo is not recording. Unfortunately it appears TiVo allows suggestions to take priority over live TV on the Mini so if you have suggestions recording then you may get a "no tuner available" message when trying to watch live TV on the Mini.

The Stream requires you to record to watch live TV, but not the Mini.
I'm trying to understand this. So if the main tivo box is recording something, even if it's just one program, you can't watch LIVE TV on the mini? This doesn't make practical sense, unless I'm missing something. I was hoping the mini is like having another box but it borrows a tuner from the main box to watch LIVE TV.

To have to stop recording something on the main box just to watch LIVE TV on a mini seems counter productive. I'm sure I'm missing something because not being able to watch LIVE TV on a mini while the main box is recording doesn't seem right.
lapdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapdog12 View Post
I'm trying to understand this. So if the main tivo box is recording something, even if it's just one program, you can't watch LIVE TV on the mini?
No, he means if all tuners are consumed by recordings (including Suggestions), no tuner will be available for live TV on the Mini. Thus something would have to be cancelled to use Live TV.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebsh View Post
Is there anyway to dedicate a tuner still? I am already getting sick of having to cancel recordings to watch live tv on my mini, sure dynamic is nice, but I don't really want it the way I have my system set up.. the device tells me it had to turn off live tv due to a "setting" on my main box... what setting? I went through all the settings menus and can't find anything tuner related... and I THOUGHT there use to be one for tuner allocation
What are you having to cancel? If they are suggestions then I suggest just turning them off. They're not worth the hassle they cause unless you really watch them a lot. If these are low priority recordings that repeat frequently then there is really nothing you can do other then to cancel them like you've been doing or get rid of the SP completely. Maybe using a Manual recording for a specific time slot would work better for you?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
lapdog12

thanks bigjimoutlaw!
lapdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
bluebsh

Quote:
What are you having to cancel? If they are suggestions then I suggest just turning them off. They're not worth the hassle they cause unless you really watch them a lot. If these are low priority recordings that repeat frequently then there is really nothing you can do other then to cancel them like you've been doing or get rid of the SP completely. Maybe using a Manual recording for a specific time slot would work better for you?
we have suggestions already turned off, but a lot of time time we will have it try to record 4 programs, and I have to keep telling it to cancel one just to watch live tv.. I liked it better when I could say only record 3 max and allow one tuner for the mini. Now if it finds 4 possible records (say season passes that I might not really care if get recorded or not) it will throw me off the live tv to record it (well tell me it will).. even if we did manually recording I know at times we'd have 4 possible records going... because certain family members would find things to record....
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sounds like you need a 6 tuner Roamio.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
DEC2955

Pre-Purchase Question: IF two Mini's are tuned into the same channel.. does this mean that two tuners are in use? or only one with the same channel going out to the two Mini's
DEC2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC2955 View Post
Pre-Purchase Question: IF two Mini's are tuned into the same channel.. does this mean that two tuners are in use? or only one with the same channel going out to the two Mini's
Two tuners.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #15
markfheil

So its basically the identical situation to when you want to watch live TV on the actual Premier/Roamio and all tuners are in use? So not really a big deal.
markfheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Except that on the main TiVo if you try to change the channel it'll prompt you with the option to cancel the recording. Also if it's a Suggestion it will simply cancel the recording without prompting.

On the Mini you have to go to My Shows, find the recording, and cancel it manually. Would be nice if the Mini prompted you with a list of all recording shows and the option to cancel one of them. Also if it was smart enough to cancel Suggestions like it does on the main TiVo.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
gweempose

Quote:

On the Mini you have to go to My Shows, find the recording, and cancel it manually. Would be nice if the Mini prompted you with a list of all recording shows and the option to cancel one of them.
This would be convenient for my wife and I, but it would be bad when my mother-in-law is staying with us. There is a Mini in the guest bedroom, and I would hate for her to have the ability to so easily cancel one of my recordings. It would be ideal if you could turn this feature on and off for each individual Mini. We virtually never watch TV in the guest bedroom, so there would be no real benefit to having it on that Mini. It would be nice to have it on the Minis in the master bedroom and workout room, though.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
SOCATivo

The TiVo web site still says this:
Quote:
TiVo Roamio DVRs allow for dynamic tuner allocation, so the tuner is only used when the Mini needs it and is released back to the DVR for use when the TiVo Mini isn’t in use. TiVo Premiere DVRs do NOT support dynamic tuner allocation, so any Mini connected to a Premiere is allocated a constantly dedicated tuner and therefore reduces the tuners available for the Premiere DVR.
Is this true or not? I have a Premier XL4 and want a Mini, but if it permanently ties up a tuner, I'm not going to go for it.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

They released a software update in November that added dynamic tuner allocation to the Premiere.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #20
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCATivo View Post
The TiVo web site still says this:

Is this true or not? I have a Premier XL4 and want a Mini, but if it permanently ties up a tuner, I'm not going to go for it.
That is wrong, the web site needs an update. I actually submitted a ticket about a month ago with like 8 errors on the site including that one, for a laugh... Needless to say I got a cookie-cutter answer and the errors still are up there

The premieres software got an update months ago that enabled dynamic tuner allocation and removed the ability to designate specific tuner(s) for minis.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
SOCATivo

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
Rob_W

Quote:
Unfortunately it appears TiVo allows suggestions to take priority over live TV on the Mini so if you have suggestions recording then you may get a "no tuner available" message when trying to watch live TV on the Mini.
Is this a feature or a bug? I like the idea of suggestions but even with 6 tuners I have had to cancel shows more than once to watch live shows on the mini (and I have had it less than a week). I guess I will have to just shut off suggestions which seems silly.
Rob_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #23
Bigg

The idea of dedicating a tuner was a stupid work around. There's no reason it should be an option. Not only is it confusing, but allowing the host TiVo to use all four tuners, which, unless you're an extreme TV watcher with a big family, happens very rarely anyways.

With three roommates, an XL4, and quite a bit of stuff recording between the all of us, we rarely have all 4 tuners running. Maybe an average of half an hour to an hour a week. This week and next week it will obviously be way higher than that.

What's stupid about the Mini is that it can't cycle through the live tuners like the XL4 can. It's often a lot easier to find a basketball game that way, since I already set it to record.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote