TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
desertpatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Which is exactly why I linked him to the hardware I suggested. By owning the hardware instead of renting it, it will cost him much less in the long run. If he can get an adapter from TWC for free to do what he wants then that would certainly be the least expensive way to go.
@unnatural: you're on the right track -owning is better than renting. the idea of giving more money to the cable companies (pack of thieves) doesn't sit well with me either. even if it entails paying more for 3rd party hardware then so be it
at this point i'm considering two options:
-purchasing a tivo series4 or newer w/transferable subscription -ebay, amazon etc.
-building a pc based dvr box with an hd dual tuner pci express card

Last edited by desertpatriot : 12-17-2013 at 07:29 PM.
desertpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Amen.

They are only 75 cents a month here and that is why I want to keep them.

Since they convert from digital to analog, does anyone know if they will work with a two tunner series 3? I realize the second tuner will be useless and I won't get HD from the cable but I can get HD OTA.
That would depend in part on whether the DTA has line level outputs (composite video-the yellow jack, and left-right audio--the white and red jacks), or if it just outputs a channel 3 or 4 NTSC signal over co-ax.

EDIT TO ADD:

All 3 of the Series 3 models are dual tuner.

The Tivos after the Series 2s do not have any inputs except the cable and Over The Air co-ax inputs (those threaded nipple thingies).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 12-17-2013 at 12:38 PM.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #33
Colbyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That would depend in part on whether the DTA has line level outputs (composite video-the yellow jack, and left-right audio--the white and red jacks), or if it just outputs a channel 3 or 4 NTSC signal over co-ax.

EDIT TO ADD:

All 3 of the Series 3 models are dual tuner.

The Tivos after the Series 2s do not have any inputs except the cable and Over The Air co-ax inputs (those threaded nipple thingies).
I think your edit answered the question but to clarify, the DTA also called a mini-box outputs on 3 or 4 via coax cable. My series 1 sees that as analog cable with only one channel. The channels are controlled in the mini box using the remote IR sensor.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #34
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I think your edit answered the question but to clarify, the DTA also called a mini-box outputs on 3 or 4 via coax cable. My series 1 sees that as analog cable with only one channel. The channels are controlled in the mini box using the remote IR sensor.
Correct, and S3 and higher do not have ir blaster capability
Old 12-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #35
Colbyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Correct, and S3 and higher do not have ir blaster capability
They really did sell us down the river didn't they. Sorta looks like they got into bed with the cable companies. Looks like when the S1 dies we are all done.

I guess I will continue to get my fix from streaming sources. That is a lot easier than commercial zapping anyway. For sure it is far cheaper than digital cable with 87 channels of nothing to watch.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #36
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Amen.

They are only 75 cents a month here and that is why I want to keep them.

Since they convert from digital to analog, does anyone know if they will work with a two tunner series 3? I realize the second tuner will be useless and I won't get HD from the cable but I can get HD OTA.
No, a cable box will not work with a Series 3 or newer Tivo. Also, there is no way the Tivo to control it either.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #37
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
They really did sell us down the river didn't they. Sorta looks like they got into bed with the cable companies. Looks like when the S1 dies we are all done.

I guess I will continue to get my fix from streaming sources. That is a lot easier than commercial zapping anyway. For sure it is far cheaper than digital cable with 87 channels of nothing to watch.
How did they "sell us down the river"? CableCARDS are a far more reliable way of managing this as an industry standard (in most cases)

Additionally the technology changed from analog and encoding to just being able to grab the digital stream without processing, they brought their game from the 20th century to the 21st, that's not "selling me down the river" that's innovation and moving forward.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
unitron

Quote:

To be fair, when the S3 came out it could do both analog and digital over the air, and analog and digital cable, and if your digital cable was encrypted, it had provisions for cable cards which would negate the need for a separate cable box.

As for a TA being built in, or included in what cable cards do, there's only so much TiVo can do when the cable companies want to be dicks about it and the FCC won't kick 'em where they deserve it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #39
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpatriot View Post
@unnatural: you're on the right track -owning is better than renting. the idea of giving more money to the cable companies (pack of thieves) doesn't sit well with me. even if it entails paying more for 3rd party hardware then so be it
at this point i'm considering two options:

-building a pc based dvr box with an hd dual tuner pci express card
Now you're talking. I've been using PC-based DVR setups for about six years now and I'm hooked. If you're seriously thinking about going this route then consider using Windows 7 instead of Windows 8. You need the Pro version of Windows 8 and then you'd have to pay an extra $10 to download the Media Center add-on. Windows 7 Home Basic already includes WMC and can be purchased for about $80 or less if you don't already have a license. I'd be happy to point you to lots of websites with guides and tutorials as well as hardware recommendations. Send me a PM so we don't clutter up the forums with off-topic posts.

If you've already got a Windows 7 PC then all you need is the tuner. The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 and the AverMedia AverTV Duet are probably the two most popular PCI-e dual ATSC tuners. The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual is also quite popular, but it's a network-based tuner. There are lots of other models, but these are probably your best bet. I'm currently using all three with excellent results.

Not sure where all the talk came from regarding S3 Tivos since the OP has a S2.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #40
desertpatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Send me a PM so we don't clutter up the forums with off-topic posts.
sent
desertpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote