TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #91
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Yes, it's the same piece of company hardware, the head-end. A cable company supplied box is able to talk through its cablecard to the head-end to arrange the Xfinity On Demand show, so the communication is happening completely over your coax cable. Unfortunately, the protocol language for talking through the cablecard to the head-end is a proprietary protocol that is dependent on the particular cable company and particular local hardware; there is no way for TiVo to implement it and talk over the coax. So what TiVo and Comcast have done is implement an alternate route over the internet between the TiVo box and the head-end. But now you've got some things coming over the internet and some things coming over the coax, and the Comcast head-end has to merge everything together, which can be difficult.

In your case, it's likely to be very difficult for Comcast to do. Since the franchise was recently acquired (I think you said), it's not running Comcast's standard hardware and protocol, so there's a whole lot of new local effort that needs to be figured out.
Comcast took over Adelphia in this area several years ago. During a service call is when the tech said we were "in line" to get VOD around Jan., 2013.

Thank you CC for explaining the finer points

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #92
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
DD, what forum did you post in? What is the best forum over there for PBC Tivo/Comcast issues?
Here's the thread. Comcast wasn't much help, but they did seem to think that PBC has the VOD feature now.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...59011#U1959011

I've been trying to connect to the TiVo servers for the past hour or so, but I've been having network errors when trying to connect. Hopefully they will be back online again later today. Keeping finger crossed.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #93
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Here's the thread. Comcast wasn't much help, but they did seem to think that PBC has the VOD feature now.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...59011#U1959011

I've been trying to connect to the TiVo servers for the past hour or so, but I've been having network errors when trying to connect. Hopefully they will be back online again later today. Keeping finger crossed.
Thanks for the link DD. You're right, not too much help from Comcast.

I'll keep my fingers crossed the VOD comes up for you too! I rebooted once, but nada.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #94
tatergator1

The lack of the Comcast VOD app may be related to this thread.

I briefly followed a link to the Comcast forums from that thread and it suggests contacting the Comcast CableCard hotline may be a good first step since they have a good working knowledge of Comcast systems and Tivo. Good luck!
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #95
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The lack of the Comcast VOD app may be related to this thread.

I briefly followed a link to the Comcast forums from that thread and it suggests contacting the Comcast CableCard hotline may be a good first step since they have a good working knowledge of Comcast systems and Tivo. Good luck!
Thanks for the link tater... I just might hold off on the VOD app.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #96
nws alpine

My zip code in Boca is still showing not available for VOD.

We had a major outage the past few days and saw multiple bucket trucks in our community. Our cable was on and off for 2 days and internet was out for 3. After they fixed it I still had to call in to get my internet back. Now getting almost 70down/10up. On the same Blast package before the outage we had the older 25/5 speeds. I wonder if there was an upgrade gone wrong that caused the significant outage.

Now Netflix snaps into SuperHD in about 2 seconds were it was not always able to go to the highest bit rate at all.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #97
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
My zip code in Boca is still showing not available for VOD.

We had a major outage the past few days and saw multiple bucket trucks in our community. Our cable was on and off for 2 days and internet was out for 3. After they fixed it I still had to call in to get my internet back. Now getting almost 70down/10up. On the same Blast package before the outage we had the older 25/5 speeds. I wonder if there was an upgrade gone wrong that caused the significant outage.

Now Netflix snaps into SuperHD in about 2 seconds were it was not always able to go to the highest bit rate at all.
I don't know if this affected you, but some time ago they doubled the speed for Performance Plus and above packages, HOWEVER, to get that speed you had to restart your modem. Until/unless you did that, you got the same speeds you always did. When I restarted back then, I got similar speed upgrades to you without any more expense.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #98
DigitalDawn

Even though our zip code (here in Jupiter) says we should have VOD, there's still no Xfinity app in either of my TiVo's.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #99
DigitalDawn

This is really strange. I wish Comcast would make up their mind. Now my PBC zip code is showing that VOD is NOT available. Go figure.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #100
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
This is really strange. I wish Comcast would make up their mind. Now my PBC zip code is showing that VOD is NOT available. Go figure.
We're now getting the same message