TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #61
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
I was able to transfer shows from a Series 3 to Premier with no problem after the software update. Must be an issue with your network.
I agree, but he said he has tried troubleshooting his network and hasn't been able to resolve the issue.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #62
jgametest

Wink Thanks Netflix

Although we have only being using Netflix briefly since we are mostly HuluPlus users I can understand the frustration of it locking up and spitting out to the main screen when it wanted to. So this refresh is sweet. Just have to remind my kids.. Hey kids only click on the right that says "KIDS" and will be just fine..
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #63
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb1226 View Post
I can't say for sure that this is related, but since I received this update Friday night, I can no longer transfer recordings between my Premiere and my Series3 HDTiVo. I have tried restarting both, renaming them, turning Video Sharing off and on, and nothing works. The S3 TiVo tells me that the S4 has no recordings (although it does), and the Premier tells me that the S3 "My Shows could not be displayed because of a network problem." There is no network problem that I can detect. Both units can connect to the TiVo server and get updates.

I had zero issues transferring shows between these two units for over a year before this update. What did you do, TiVo????
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the new update has improved my transferring of shows between my two S4 boxes. I would frequently lose connectivity between them. A few days before the update, I couldn't even browse the Now Playing list on the remote box. This happened from both S4 boxes. I could also connect to the TiVo service with no problems when the connection error, between boxes, happened.

I haven't had an error since the update. Maybe the "fix" broke something on your setup.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #64
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I've seen this as well. PITA, but at least you can recover from it.
I think I only see this when streaming from another TiVo.

It happens if you delete the show or not.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #65
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
I think I only see this when streaming from another TiVo.

It happens if you delete the show or not.
I wonder if this could be the result of TiVo trying to load an ad and failing. Thoughts?

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 12-17-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #66
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Netflix causes my Roamio to reboot after about an hour of watching it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #67
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I haven't had an error since the update. Maybe the "fix" broke something on your setup.
It sure did on mine. It gave me the problem it was supposed to fix with channels not tuning, which I did not have before. I was afraid exactly that would happen.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #68
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
It sure did on mine. It gave me the problem it was supposed to fix with channels not tuning, which I did not have before. I was afraid exactly that would happen.
Are you sure you don't just have a bad tuning adapter. You mentioned in another thread that your cable company just started moving channels over to SDV. Maybe the channels you actually watch just happened to be moved around the time of the software update and you're only just noticing the problem.

Could also be a network related issue. I noticed something really weird the other night. My internet connection was down. While it was down I was surfing through the channels, one by one, just to check out all the new HD channels I get. Some of the channels would cause my TiVo to "lock up" and not respond to the remote for a good 10-15 seconds. The channels would still play, but I could not get the Roamio to respond to the remote for at least 10-15 seconds every time I tuned one of these channels. This was repeatable on these specific channels if I tuned away and then came back. (about 10 I saw) As soon as I got the internet working again (turned out to be a router problem) I tried these channels again and they all worked fine and did not lock up the TiVo. So it seems that having a live internet connect can somehow effect certain channels. During this time I tried disconnecting the TA and none of the suspect channels were SDV, so I'm not sure why not having an internet connection had any effect.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #69
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Are you sure you don't just have a bad tuning adapter. You mentioned in another thread that your cable company just started moving channels over to SDV. Maybe the channels you actually watch just happened to be moved around the time of the software update and you're only just noticing the problem.

Could also be a network related issue. I noticed something really weird the other night. My internet connection was down. While it was down I was surfing through the channels, one by one, just to check out all the new HD channels I get. Some of the channels would cause my TiVo to "lock up" and not respond to the remote for a good 10-15 seconds. The channels would still play, but I could not get the Roamio to respond to the remote for at least 10-15 seconds every time I tuned one of these channels. This was repeatable on these specific channels if I tuned away and then came back. (about 10 I saw) As soon as I got the internet working again (turned out to be a router problem) I tried these channels again and they all worked fine and did not lock up the TiVo. So it seems that having a live internet connect can somehow effect certain channels. During this time I tried disconnecting the TA and none of the suspect channels were SDV, so I'm not sure why not having an internet connection had any effect.
Unless I have 6 bad TAs (I had 6 in use on Premiere 2-tuner models, now only need three), that's not it. Same situation with cablecards. I have three extra ones of those as well now, which makes swapping cablecards and TAs as easy as it can be (meaning as easy as getting a good Cox rep on the phone).

I'm also having major issues with H.264 channels that operate in the mid to high 900Mhz range, which were rock solid before the update. Now it is nearly always impossible to get them to work.

Also, Cox has halted, for now, changing channels to SDV and reassigning frequencies. They stopped ~1 month ago. It was only a rough ride in the beginning, when they'd change frequencies, but fail to re-map the cablecards/TAs to tune to the new ones. that's old-news now.

I didn't even have any Roamios when Cox was changing things around. I made sure not to post anything about issues, that could even remotely be related.

Since a buyer of one of my Premieres has paid, but let me defer shipping for a while, I keep that one operable, to offload my content, also giving me a chance to compare platforms for a while.

This update borked both platforms, introducing the very issues that it was supposed to resolve, plus adding issues to H.264 channels, which have worked fine before, during, and after Cox's SDV mapping and related changes.

My internet is all hard-wired, and has been more reliable than it has been in years. I don't have to reboot the CM and/or router, on a schedule, like I used to. I have tried doing so, and rebooting everything, as well as power-cycling all networking switches, etc.

Thanks for the input, but it just seems N/A. It's still appreciated, though.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #70
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The Netflix causes my Roamio to reboot after about an hour of watching it.
I didn't watch long enough to see if that happens on mine. I'll have to test it.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #71
Jeff_DML

Quote:
Originally Posted by univers View Post
Since the 20.3.8 update 2 days ago, I've been having a problem when I'm viewing a recording, reach the end and select 'Delete'. (Not sure if it would happen if I chose to keep the recording.)

Instead of seeing the 'My Shows' screen, I get only black.

The remote still functions and I can blindly select another recording to play, which then restores the display.

This has happened probably 5 or 6 times in 2 days, so somewhere between 10 and 20% of the time. Some of these were downloaded videos (CNET), others recordings from cable.
Seeing this too, seems to happens almost every time I delete/stop? a program
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #72
Jeff_DML

New Netflix is nice with 1080p24. It fixes the output to 1080p24 then adjust the quality without changing it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #73
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

updated yesterday (signed up on priority update page last wednesday), no negative issues so far, and love the new captioning.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #74
spaldingclan

I still haven't gotten the update even though I signed up on the priority page
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #75
dave13077

I have discovered an issue that has appeared a couple of times since the update. If you are watching a recorded program and get out of it before it is finished, in my case about 1/2 through, it doesn't save the place you were at. It doesn't show "Resume" you have to select "Play" and fast forward to where you left off. This has happened twice so far. Once when I tried to resume a program on the same Tivo I originally was using and another time when I tried (different program) to continue a recorded show from my Mini. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet..
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #76
jgametest

Wink My resume works

We only have a premiere XL with no Stream or NAS drive attached. Perhaps because we are not using extra add-ins to the port the software is reacting differently. Are you playing from Groups of videos or one individual.

My daughter has been playing a Group of Team Umizoomi videos 1 of 7 and the group player is fine. I ran a video this morning that I started watching last night and it continued where it was. Have you tried to reboot since the update perhaps a hiccup in the system?
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #77
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I have discovered an issue that has appeared a couple of times since the update. If you are watching a recorded program and get out of it before it is finished, in my case about 1/2 through, it doesn't save the place you were at. It doesn't show "Resume" you have to select "Play" and fast forward to where you left off. This has happened twice so far. Once when I tried to resume a program on the same Tivo I originally was using and another time when I tried (different program) to continue a recorded show from my Mini. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet..
This has been mentioned before, so either it was never fixed, or the recent update broke it again.
Try to remember to hit the pause button before you back out of the program. That seems to force the Tivo into applying the resume bookmark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #78
FrodoB

Quote:
Unless I have 6 bad TAs (I had 6 in use on Premiere 2-tuner models, now only need three), that's not it. Same situation with cablecards. I have three extra ones of those as well now, which makes swapping cablecards and TAs as easy as it can be (meaning as easy as getting a good Cox rep on the phone).

I'm also having major issues with H.264 channels that operate in the mid to high 900Mhz range, which were rock solid before the update. Now it is nearly always impossible to get them to work.

Also, Cox has halted, for now, changing channels to SDV and reassigning frequencies. They stopped ~1 month ago. It was only a rough ride in the beginning, when they'd change frequencies, but fail to re-map the cablecards/TAs to tune to the new ones. that's old-news now.

I didn't even have any Roamios when Cox was changing things around. I made sure not to post anything about issues, that could even remotely be related.

Since a buyer of one of my Premieres has paid, but let me defer shipping for a while, I keep that one operable, to offload my content, also giving me a chance to compare platforms for a while.

This update borked both platforms, introducing the very issues that it was supposed to resolve, plus adding issues to H.264 channels, which have worked fine before, during, and after Cox's SDV mapping and related changes.

My internet is all hard-wired, and has been more reliable than it has been in years. I don't have to reboot the CM and/or router, on a schedule, like I used to. I have tried doing so, and rebooting everything, as well as power-cycling all networking switches, etc.

Thanks for the input, but it just seems N/A. It's still appreciated, though.
Our Premiere 4 that got 20.3.8 has been having issues holding onto channels since the update. Things that were rock-solid before no longer are. I *believe* it's isolated to SDV channels. I've rebooted our TA on that TiVo twice, and each time it connects up and things are fine for a bit but then degrade later. I'm getting 37db on all tuners and signal readings in the low to mid 90s.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #79
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
Our Premiere 4 that got 20.3.8 has been having issues holding onto channels since the update. Things that were rock-solid before no longer are. I *believe* it's isolated to SDV channels. I've rebooted our TA on that TiVo twice, and each time it connects up and things are fine for a bit but then degrade later. I'm getting 37db on all tuners and signal readings in the low to mid 90s.
Thanks for taking the time to post this, and letting me know I'm not alone in having something that worked rock-solid pre-update, and now doesn't post-update.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #80
spaldingclan

i finally got the update after tweeting to Margret...I don't notice anything different...should I?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #81
soccerdad72

Quote:
Since the 20.3.8 update 2 days ago, I've been having a problem when I'm viewing a recording, reach the end and select 'Delete'. (Not sure if it would happen if I chose to keep the recording.)

The remote still functions and I can blindly select another recording to play, which then restores the display.

This has happened probably 5 or 6 times in 2 days, so somewhere between 10 and 20% of the time. Some of these were downloaded videos (CNET), others recordings from cable.
I'm seeing this too, in fact it's the reason I checked and discovered I received the 20.3.8 update. It happens pretty consistently. TiVo Premiere XL, watching previously recorded shows from cable.

Never saw this behavior before.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #82
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
I'm seeing this too, in fact it's the reason I checked and discovered I received the 20.3.8 update. It happens pretty consistently. TiVo Premiere XL, watching previously recorded shows from cable.

I have seen this a few times on my Roamio Pro, Last night even the "Format" button on the back would not reboot the unit, I had to unplug the unit. The LiveTV Video was still playing in the Preview Window but no commands would work, I left it for 15 minutes and tried to reset the UI, but nothing.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #83
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
i finally got the update after tweeting to Margret...I don't notice anything different...should I?
Did you read this entire thread? See the release notes Margret posted at the beginning of the thread.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #84
shamilian

black menu bug after delete/keep dialogue.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post

I am having this issue so far I have noticed it on 2 of 6 tivos.

It only happens if I select delete from the pop up dialogue at the end of a recording. If I select keep the menu system works fine.

If you have the video in the corner on, then you see that as well as the black screen.

If I press liveTV or Guide then everything works again. Although I have lost my place in the My Shows list. ( The Tivo button does not work.)

I have played with the input button, thought it may be an hdmi issue, but nothing brings back the menus other than those 2 buttons.

The Tivos did not do this when I first got the update, but it was doing it consistently earlier today. But I just checked and it is not doing it any longer...

It may have something to do with the daily updates and the extra advertising inserted into the menu system. Maybe someone did not fill all the fields in correctly in one of those pop-up advertisements that sometimes get inserted in the delete/keep dialogue.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #85
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Yep. Had the very same situation. My router was down and I had the same TiVo symptoms. I was about to reboot the TiVo when a bunch of the remote commands took effect. I don't know whether the symptom kept up as we left the house and when we came back I got the router back up and working. I have MOCA and I'm thinking that maybe it's more of a home network problem rather than just not having internet service? I've lost internet service and never had the TiVos act up except for the connection message.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #86
lpwcomp

Well, I am extremely annoyed. One of my Premieres (apparently) d/l'd the update as the network status was "Pending Restart". Prior to checking the status, I had started recordings on both tuners of shows that were in the live buffers - "NFL Live" and "Holiday Affair". I wqas going to restart after the recording s finished. I lleft the room for @5mins tp do something else. When I came back, I was presented with the "Installing an update..." screen. I suspect that after the d/l, the TiVo schedules a restart for a time with no scheduled recordings and doesn't check to see if it is actively recording anything. It may ask prior to dong the restart, but I wasn't there to say no.

Bottom line - I missed about 19 mins of both programs, "Holiday Affair" being the more annoying loss. It is showing againg tomorrow but it is on HMC and will thus have commercials (I was recording from TCM) and might have cuts.

Since the Premiere will probably only have one more update, it's too late to fix for that platform. However, it should be addressed for the Roamio.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #87
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Black screen after Keep-or-Delete

Quote:
Instead of seeing the My Shows screen, I get only black
There has been an ongoing problem for over a year where the menu's background turns black, but are you saying the entire screen now turns black?

http://youtu.be/3Z96TFmyLwU?t=1m56s
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #88
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
There has been an ongoing problem for over a year where the menu's background turns black, but are you saying the entire screen now turns black?

http://youtu.be/3Z96TFmyLwU?t=1m56s

Yes, this is the HD UI and the whole screen is back no lettering can be seen...
The old issue of the background being black refers to the old UI which stored the background as a video which sometimes got lost or damaged.

This is a brand new bug!
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #89
TiVoToo

Quote:

I noticed this same behavior after my Premiere was updated to 20.3.8. I would end up pressing Live TV, then TiVo button to restore the HD GUI.
Another weird thing with this update. Before the update, whenever I would change to a new channel (either using up/dn, Guide, or direct input of channel number), the TiVo would switch to the new channel with the channel banner displayed, but no video yet displayed, then a fraction of a second later, the audio would come on immediately followed by video. Now, many times when I switch to a new channel, the channel banner is displayed over a blank screen, but a short fraction of second later the banner disappears followed by a long fraction of a second of unformatted video, then a fraction of a second of blank screen followed by video in correct format with no banner. It doesn't happen with every channel every time, but is frequent enough that it is annoying. Because I've been Christmas busy, I've not yet had time to experiment to isolate whether cause is associated with HDMI, T/A, or change in video format between channels. I do know it happens with both OTA and cable channels.

[Update] Channel changing anomaly was related to output format. My Premiere has had Output Video Format as 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i for as long as I can remember. Changing OVF to 1080i only (which matches the display) eliminated the weird channel changing behavior. Why I never noticed this behavior until 20.3.8 is a mystery.

Last edited by TiVoToo : 12-26-2013 at 09:42 AM.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #90
MMG
early adopter

How long after getting 20.3.8 does the new Netflix kick in?