TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
the_Skywise

Repair HR10-250 or go HR22?

My HR10-250's tuners may be dying - I've been having intermittent signal issues over the past few weeks (yeah it's not raining!) and last night I turned on the TV to find the Signal Info Error screen staring me in the face. Rebooting didn't resolve the issue and my older DirectTV box could get signal fine. I screwed around with the satellite cables for a bit and got things going again except satellite 2 wouldn't receive ENCW 536 (all the stations around it would come in fine, though and satellite 1 had no problem with it). I decided to swap the cables and as soon as I disconnected satellite 1, ENCW came in fine on satellite 2! Completed the swap and the station is now coming in fine on both (Cable short, flakey tuner or flakey LNB?)

Assuming it ends up being the tuners - Weaknees offers a $159 repair service or I can get a new HR22 for $200. Obviously I don't subscribe to the HD channels with the HR10-250 (which always makes for an eventful call whenever I call DirectTV) but I don't really care to get the HD channels. I do use the OTA features of the HR10-250 to get some of the sub-channels that directv doesn't carry so I'd have to get the OTA box to go with the HR22.

Anyone have a preference?

(oh - if I buy from weaknees do I "own" the HR22 or does that still count as leasing from Directv? Do I still pay the monthly DVR fee? I'm lifetime'd on the Tivo so I should be able to avoid the additional Tivo fee)

Last edited by the_Skywise : 12-17-2013 at 03:09 AM.
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Wil
Senile Member

If you haven't hacked the HR10-250 and were satisfied with it as a closed box you'll find the THR22 is fine.

Yeah, monthly fee. Even though you're lifetimed they'll probably also sneak the DVR fee in after awhile and when you complain they'll eventually be oh so sorry and take it off, then it comes back again. You'll also pay a HD fee and they'll try tooth & nail to get an "advanced receiver" fee to stick, but they'll take that off too if you're obnoxiously persistent about it.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
the_Skywise

Update

Regardless of cable connections I tend to lose ENCW on one of the two tuners if I tune the other tuner to a high channel (like STZW) if I set the tuner back down to something lower (EG Scifi) then ENCW will be reacquired on the other tuner)

Anyone know if this sounds like a tuner issue or a power supply issue?
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Common symptom of a bad power supply.

When you "buy" from Weaknees, Solid Signal, etc., you are just paying the "lease upgrade fee" - you don't own the box.

You DO mean THR22, and not HR22, right? There would be absolutely no point in obtaining an HR22 nowadays. I have both the THR22 and the HR44 - if it were solely up to me, I'd stick with the HR44, but the THR22 is a serviceable HR10 replacement.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Curt

Is there any value to an HR10-250? I think I still have one or two of them.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Some value, yes. I sold mine for $25 a few months back.