TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #31
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Thanks dlfl. $8 for the upgrade isn't too bad.
you just got the $8 offer for just playon? are you on a yearly license? hmm, my offer was $4.99 for each playon and playlater. $10 for both. not bad all at. I'm on lifetime license for both.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #32
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Thanks dlfl. $8 for the upgrade isn't too bad.
The upgrades cover one license key. If you have PlayLater that must be upgraded at additional cost. My cost was $4.99, for my annual PlayOn subscription, with 3 months remaining in it. I don't have PlayLater.

I don't know what their long term price structure will be but wouldn't be surprised if it changes.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
Beryl

Roku 3 with Play On vs Tivo Premiere

It covered both my Playon and PlayLater lifetime licenses.
Quote:
Product: HD for PlayOn and PlayLater
Plan Description: One time fee of 7.99
Edit: I bought the "PlayOn and PlayLater bundle" so that might account for the reduced upgrade cost.

Last edited by Beryl : 11-29-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
Beryl

Used PlayLater to download the last episode of Person of Interest. The size was 5x the size of the 480p version I already had so I thought it would come in at 720p. It came in with commercials just 480p (per Plex and my eyes). I'll try something else to verify HD.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #35
Davelnlr_

Thanks for the tip. As an original lifetime subscriber, it only cost me $4.99 one time to add HD. Well worth it, if it works. Will be testing it out tomorrow. Just got PlayOn installed on my new i7 PC, and everything shows MAX on the tests, so hoping for the best.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #36
Coffee

It sounds like you could probably save a lot of money anually by just getting one of the new blu-ray players. Aside from providing access to Netflix, you can also do Hulu and Amazon (both instant video and Prime) on most of them. In addition... you can play blu-ray movies.

That saves you $130/yr and you can cut your cable, which would probably end up being tons more than that.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
getting one of the new blu-ray players. Aside from providing access to Netflix, you can also do Hulu
I thought those only did Hulu Plus.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
bacevedo

What I didn't like about PlayOn vs Plex (besides the difference in video quality) was that PlayOn had commercials that you couldn't fast forward through. And they were the same commercials over and over again. I won't be tempted by PlayOn (even with HD) until they change that.

Plex is still working great for us. We have decided to keep one Tivo Premiere (I already sold the other one) to record things live that you may not be able to get streaming. I'll be trying to get lifetime for $199 on that here pretty shortly, so we'll see if I am successful.
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #39
Davelnlr_

Can you access Hulu (not HuluPlus) with Plex? I havent found anything other than PlayOn that can assess the free Hulu.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #40
magicspell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
What I didn't like about PlayOn vs Plex (besides the difference in video quality) was that PlayOn had commercials that you couldn't fast forward through. And they were the same commercials over and over again. I won't be tempted by PlayOn (even with HD) until they change that.
This is not a function of PlayOn but rather a function of the video feed (most likely Hulu). PlayOn does not insert commercials into the feed themselves but only streams what comes from the source.
That's one reason I stopped using Hulu as the source for 90% of what I watch via PlayOn.
magicspell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Can you access Hulu (not HuluPlus) with Plex? I havent found anything other than PlayOn that can assess the free Hulu.
Not currently, but it was possible up until a few months ago. The app just no longer works and has been removed from the available channels list. I don't know if they are trying to fix it or not.

I paid for a lifetime license for PlayOn several years ago (before I found Plex), so if I need to, I can fire up my old pc to watch hulu on my tv.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I paid for a lifetime license for PlayOn several years ago (before I found Plex), so if I need to, I can fire up my old pc to watch hulu on my tv.
Ive got a lifetime PlayOn license as well. Have it running on an i7 desktop and have no problems with it. I just use the private PlayOn channel on the Roku3 and it works great.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #43
Beryl

PlayOn Airplays nicely on the ATV also. I haven't done it for a while but it worked well a few months ago.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #44
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicspell View Post
This is not a function of PlayOn but rather a function of the video feed (most likely Hulu). PlayOn does not insert commercials into the feed themselves but only streams what comes from the source.
That's one reason I stopped using Hulu as the source for 90% of what I watch via PlayOn.
Yeah, I know that is Hulu doing it, but the only reason I had PlayOn was for the Hulu content. Somehow, Plex is able to get me a feed from the network websites in HD that don't have any commercials. I was hoping PlayOn would be able to do the same with Hulu.
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

I haven't tested this yet for myself, but over on the getadtrap.com forums there's indications that AdTrap filters the commercials from the PlayOn viewing. If I get some free time I'm gonna give the playlater/playon stuff a test drive and see how they work. My AdTrap is installed inline so hopefully it'll get rid of any commercials.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote