TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Those are technically stollen.
How do you know?
Could cable cards be legally purchased from from salvaged cable boxes?

Last edited by Teeps : 12-10-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
How do you know?
Could cable cards be legally purchased from from salvaged cable boxes?
That would not be reasonable as the cable co would re-use the cable card, and they have almost no value except in some places, in Comcast CT the card shuts down after about 45 days, if not activated, or plug in.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #33
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
But a cable card from an outside cable company isn't going to work. It's not going to download any channel maps or anything.
Well, don't need channel maps. Where I live indoor antenna is crap. And I don't want to bother with outdoor antenna. My parents only need a few local channels. Using the antenna doesn't work, but if I pop in a cablecard I got from eBay. It works. I get all the local channels that I need and there are lots of them including all the big networks like CBS, ABC, NBC. Like I said, an antenna does not work for us. Plugging in the Antenna into the tivo doesn't tune anything. I tried all sorts of scenario. The only thing that works for us is a cable card inside the tivo. I bought two on eBay and they both work.
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Only if it is from the same cable co that issued the card
I got two on eBay. Maybe I got lucky? I always ask sellers if they would know whether or not the cards have been used by Verizon, and they never know the answer. I bought two anyways, and they both worked. I cannot tune cable channels, but I get all the local stuff that my antenna cannot tune.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #35
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
I got two on eBay. Maybe I got lucky? I always ask sellers if they would know whether or not the cards have been used by Verizon, and they never know the answer. I bought two anyways, and they both worked. I cannot tune cable channels, but I get all the local stuff that my antenna cannot tune.
So the questions is: did you try to get the Ebay cable cards activated by Verizon?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #36
siratfus

Quote:
So the questions is: did you try to get the Ebay cable cards activated by Verizon?
No.

That box has no tivo service, no pairing with our cable. Just using it as an old school tuner for local channels. If you want to pair it and tune the cable channels as well, you would need an activation code from Verizon. As many of said here, they won't do it, so I haven't bothered.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #37
Teeps

Quote:
No.

That box has no tivo service, no pairing with our cable. Just using it as an old school tuner for local channels. If you want to pair it and tune the cable channels as well, you would need an activation code from Verizon. As many of said here, they won't do it, so I haven't bothered.
Understood.
Thanks for the answer.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
siratfus

Quote:
Understood.
Thanks for the answer.
If I attempt to go through the pairing process with an agent and it doesn't work, I fear I may have exposed myself. I don't know how this stuff works, so I'm not sure what Verizon is capable of or aren't capable of on their end . I fear that if we try and fail, they now have the cable card number, host ID, etc. They can then possibly render it completely useless. You guys think this fear/paranoia is warranted? If not, then I would give it a try.

Last edited by siratfus : 12-15-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
headless chicken

Quote:
You guys think this fear/paranoia is warranted? If not, then I would give it a try.
With Verizon every fear is warranted. They are a money-grubbing corporation that will nickel & dime you to death. If they learn you obtained an unauthorized CC from another source other than their official stock they will probably render it inert.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #40
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
With Verizon every fear is warranted. They are a money-grubbing corporation that will nickel & dime you to death. If they learn you obtained an unauthorized CC from another source other than their official stock they will probably render it inert.
LOL! In that case, I'll quit while I'm ahead.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #41
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yep, if it isn't broke, there's no need to try and fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #42
Teeps

Quote:
If I attempt to go through the pairing process with an agent and it doesn't work, I fear I may have exposed myself. I don't know how this stuff works, so I'm not sure what Verizon is capable of or aren't capable of on their end . I fear that if we try and fail, they now have the cable card number, host ID, etc. They can then possibly render it completely useless. You guys think this fear/paranoia is warranted? If not, then I would give it a try.
I'm too lazy to recover and read the complete FCC mandate with regard to encryption devices, but considering the FCC required the data encryption device be "removable", I would like to think that if the hardware is same/same.
The firmware and programming have to work regardless of the source of the hardware.

But you are correct in your notion that what you have works for your needs. So there is no need to poke the bear...