TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
RickStrobel

Stupd Roamio dumps partial recording and starts over!

Stupid new Roamio. Not a good start...

I'm watching Green Bay vs Dallas today, casually, in the buffer. Around 7:45 or so it's getting interesting. I begin recording what I'm watching. Wife has a show at 8:00 she wants to see. At about 8:01 I go and find the show she wants and record it. When I come back to my football game the recording has nothing!

It's basically the post-game show. I missed the last two minutes of the game. The last 10 minutes of game time was being recorded. I was watching it. But somehow when I started recording the other show it dumped my game and started it again Very frustrated
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

If I watch anything I always hit record. I've been doing that for almost twelve years and it has avoided issues like that. IF I always record it then I don't have to worry about walking away and not coming back for a while, hitting a button by mistake that would change the tuner and clear the buffer or a number of other things. The TiVo will eventually delete the content or I can delete it myself if I want to. But by recording anything you might watch avoids a bunch of possible issues.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
BobCamp1

That's a bug. Older Tivos will grab what's already in the buffer and throw it into the recording. They always did it without fail before.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
That's a bug. Older Tivos will grab what's already in the buffer and throw it into the recording. They always did it without fail before.
I've seen just the opposite (it is still working the way it always did).

Yesterday, I realized that I hadn't remembered to set a recording for the 1:00 football game at 1:20. I was closest to my Mini, so I went there, went to the guide, and found the game, and hit record. No big deal. I figured I had missed the first 20 minutes and that was all.

Later, when I went to watch the game, I was confused how I had actually caught the entire show. I can only assume that one of the 6 tuners on the Roamio was already randomly on the proper channel, and it simply "did the right thing."
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
RickStrobel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If I watch anything I always hit record. I've been doing that for almost twelve years and it has avoided issues like that. IF I always record it then I don't have to worry about walking away and not coming back for a while, hitting a button by mistake that would change the tuner and clear the buffer or a number of other things. The TiVo will eventually delete the content or I can delete it myself if I want to. But by recording anything you might watch avoids a bunch of possible issues.
But I did record it! That's the whole point. I had been watching it live. I decided to record it and had been watching it while recording, for another 15 minutes or so. It's when I went to add my wife's show and came back that it screwed up.
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
But I did record it! That's the whole point. I had been watching it live. I decided to record it and had been watching it while recording, for another 15 minutes or so. It's when I went to add my wife's show and came back that it screwed up.
Then that is pretty weird behavior for the TiVo. Hopefully it isn't something that gets repeated.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote