TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.89 average.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #1531
knownzero
Seeker

Do you think a WD20EARX would work for a drive upgrade? It's the only 'green/av' drive I can find in stock around here.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #1532
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownzero View Post
Do you think a WD20EARX would work for a drive upgrade? It's the only 'green/av' drive I can find in stock around here.
That will work fine.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #1533
knownzero
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
That will work fine.
Cool, thanks!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #1534
knownzero
Seeker

So far everything seems fine with the new drive. Actually the hardest part was getting the cover off.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #1535
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownzero View Post
So far everything seems fine with the new drive. Actually the hardest part was getting the cover off.
I did three Roamio base models. Basically, it's remove the T8 screw, pull UP from middle of back (get some fingers underneath to make the sides pull in by flexing) and gently the rotate the top upwards to release the front.

The tricky part (which I didn't notice until the 2nd one), is getting the cover fully seated again, you do it all in reverse order (making sure that little tab in the front is in place FIRST, under the metal), then look to see if the screw hole is lined up on it's own. If it isn't, you can press down and put the screw in, but the snaps on the sides won't be fully seated.

I went back to the first unit, and had to take the screw out, then squeeze each side with a little side-to-side motion, and front-to-back, hearing one extra pop on each side. Then the screw hole was lined-up without having to press down.

To the naked eye, I couldn't see any visual signs the lids were, or weren't, fully seated, other than that single screw hole. I just had a suspicion, and double checked.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #1536
hansnuts

Hi. I'm looking to upgrade my base Roamio. It has been recommended on numerous post here to go with the WD 2TB WD20EURS. Can I buy the WD AV-GP 3TB WD30EURS? It's just $20 more on Amazon. Thanks for your help.
hansnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #1537
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansnuts View Post
Hi. I'm looking to upgrade my base Roamio. It has been recommended on numerous post here to go with the WD 2TB WD20EURS. Can I buy the WD AV-GP 3TB WD30EURS? It's just $20 more on Amazon. Thanks for your help.
That's what I got, and so far it works great.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #1538
hansnuts

PedjaR, many thanks for the reply.
hansnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #1539
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansnuts View Post
That's what shipped in my Pro from the factory.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #1540
tdeegan

I'm interested in upgrading from an XL4 to a Roamio Plus.

Anyone know if I can just swap/transplant the drive from the XL4 to the Roamio Plus?

I know I'll void the warranty and lose all my old recordings. From what I've read online, the Roamio setups a blank hard drive for use after you make the physical cable connections and powers back up.

I'm assuming that it'll do the same with an XL4 hard drive. Just double-checking my guesses...
tdeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #1541
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeegan View Post
I'm interested in upgrading from an XL4 to a Roamio Plus.

Anyone know if I can just swap/transplant the drive from the XL4 to the Roamio Plus?

I know I'll void the warranty and lose all my old recordings. From what I've read online, the Roamio setups a blank hard drive after you make the physical cable connections and powers back up.

I'm assuming that it'll do the same with an XL4 hard drive. Just doubl-checking my guesses...
The word is blank hard drive, if you change drives you should zero out the drive with your computer, but why would you want to use an old hard drive in a new Roamio ? you just spent good money on this new unit, and for under $100 you can get a new 2 TB drive.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #1542
tdeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The word is blank hard drive, if you change drives you should zero out the drive with your computer, but why would you want to use an old hard drive in a new Roamio ? you just spent good money on this new unit, and for under $100 you can get a new 2 TB drive.
Money is the only real issue. I'd prefer to reuse the XL4 hard drive (it's only 9 months old) rather than spend money on a new hard drive. I could install the XL4 drive in my computer (like I did with all my other retired Tivo's HDs) if I wanted to buy a fresh HD. 2TB for 300+ hours should be plenty for me.

I don't believe that there's any major technical issues. Maybe a quick format under Windows. But the Roamio HD prep and setup should format the HD anyhow.

Last edited by tdeegan : 12-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #1543
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeegan View Post
Money is the only real issue. I'd prefer to reuse the XL4 hard drive (it's only 9 months old) rather than spend money on a new hard drive. I could install the XL4 drive in my computer (like I did with all my other retired Tivo's HDs) if I wanted to buy a fresh HD. 2TB for 300+ hours should be plenty for me.

I don't believe that there's any major technical issues. Maybe a quick format under Windows. But the Roamio HD prep and setup should format the HD anyhow.
It could only have a problem if it saw old TiVo software, a blank drive will be the least likely to give you any problems in your Roamio, but it does not do any damage (to the hard drive) to try.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #1544
sleepdragon

I would suggest you delete old partitions from the drive and not format it
Tivo uses different file system than the normal FAT/FAT32/NTFS you find on windows
Safer to delete all partitions and let TiVo do all the work
sleepdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #1545
tdeegan

Follow-up. I ended up buying the Roamio Pro. Apparently Tivo and Best Buy had a promotion for a $50 gift card. So, price-wise it was more or less comparable to buying the Roamio Plus and buying a 3TB drive. Also, my computer storage space is running low, so the XL4's 2 TB will come in handy. Use it til dies.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #1546
MJR0309

Swapping Cable Cards

Hello All,

Two thoughts, can i swap the active CableCard in my TivoHD into my
Romio Plus. Also I have Comcast in Philly, can i pickup the CableCard and do the install myself. Has anyone done this.

Mike
MJR0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #1547
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR0309 View Post
Hello All,

Two thoughts, can i swap the active CableCard in my TivoHD into my
Romio Plus. Also I have Comcast in Philly, can i pickup the CableCard and do the install myself. Has anyone done this.

Mike
You can swap cards, but you'll need to call the comcast cablecard hotline to have the re-pair the card with your roamio. And, yes, you can pickup cable cards at the nearest comcast store (though they may be out of stock, and there is no way to know without going there...) The days of requiring a truck roll to get a cable card are, thankfully, gone.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #1548
MJR0309

tivo Romio Cable-Card

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate that. Called the 489th and Parkside office.....what a joke. Couldnt't even get an answer. Will try to get another card tomorrow, because i'm using the TIVO_HD in another room. Just getting a little antsy having the Plus just sit here. Already installed the WD-30ERUS. Will inform of the outcome. Thanks to all for their insight. invaluable. just wish i could type right now...lolol. Great Forum. Mike Thanks to ALL.....
Old 12-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #1549
lessd

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate that. Called the 489th and Parkside office.....what a joke. Couldnt't even get an answer. Will try to get another card tomorrow, because i'm using the TIVO_HD in another room. Just getting a little antsy having the Plus just sit here. Already installed the WD-30ERUS. Will inform of the outcome. Thanks to all for their insight. invaluable. just wish i could type right now...lolol. Great Forum. Mike Thanks to ALL.....
To pair you cable cards with Comcast just call 877-405-2298.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #1550
MJR0309

TIVO Roamio Plus Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
To pair you cable cards with Comcast just call 877-405-2298.
All done....473 Hours of HD recording. Unbelievable. !!!. Very painless process. Thanks Mike.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #1551
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Great... So it worked for you (or fooled you). If you have the right tool for the job, you should use it. TiVo has been using the same fasteners for mounting drives to the brackets for generations. Sometimes they are manufactured on the loose-end of acceptable, sometimes on the tight-end of acceptable. I have some here, obviously from another batch, that a T10 will slip inside of with two fingers and no effort, I have some that a T10 would "work" on, if little torque is needed to loosen, and care is taken while tightening. It doesn't change that they are T15 and the T15 bit, or driver, is the correct tool for the job.

Why encourage somebody who may have a cheap, or worn-down, T10 bit/driver to use it? What is the point in that?

When you work in any field that requires the repairing/replacing of things, you get a natural feeling for when you are using a bit that is a size too small.

As for the general population, many/most people don't even realize there are multiple sizes of Phillips fastener heads, just as are there multiple sizes of flat ones. The list of all the fasteners that can be removed or installed with the wrong tool is virtually endless, which is why I'm not listing them all. A 13mm nut is so close to a 1/2" one, most mechanics won't dig for one socket if they have the other already in hand, or on their bench. At the same time, they don't use a Phillips head on a posi-drive fastener, or the other way around, nor does one who takes pride in their work use an adjustable wrench on every nut and bolt, just because it fits.

A while back, you asked me what my "sudden problem with you" was. I replied that I "didn't have one", and I was simply presenting facts that had been left out of a topic. Can you honestly tell me a T15 bit/driver does not fit the fastener? If not, the facts are that even your fasteners are T15 and a T15 tool is the correct one, making the T10 tool an incorrect tool. Let's not confuse those who don't know better, please.
Have you ever read "The Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling?

Last edited by ltxi : 12-18-2013 at 08:01 PM.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #1552
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Nope, and I don't plan to. If you really want to give me the cliff notes, you can always PM me.

Honestly, I'd rather come to mutual understanding with other members here, than fight and cause thread-drift, or bicker with people.

So far, the only attempt I've tried at doing so, which failed, was with a new member, who just can't leave anything I post alone (always has to try and incite a fight). That member clearly has no intentions of being peaceful, and would rather take snipes at anything I post. I know you likely feel like I am doing the same to you, based on how you react. It's not the same. But, I can understand why you'd feel that way. I don't want that. I'd rather make friends, not enemies, of anybody that can be reasoned with, and do try to keep making that effort.

Want to discuss something OT, please PM me. This goes for anybody. My PM box is always open.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #1553
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post

No, but I hear "The Yellow River" by I.P. Dailey is really good as well as "Brown Spots on the Wall" by Hu Flung Dung.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #1554
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
No, but I hear "The Yellow River" by I.P. Dailey is really good as well as "Brown Spots on the Wall" by Hu Flung Dung.
Don't forget "Under the Bleachers" by Seymour Butts.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #1555
headless chicken

OK, I guess it's time to officially unsubscribe from this thread.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #1556
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Nope, and I don't plan to. If you really want to give me the cliff notes, you can always PM me.

Honestly, I'd rather come to mutual understanding with other members here, than fight and cause thread-drift, or bicker with people.

So far, the only attempt I've tried at doing so, which failed, was with a new member, who just can't leave anything I post alone (always has to try and incite a fight). That member clearly has no intentions of being peaceful, and would rather take snipes at anything I post. I know you likely feel like I am doing the same to you, based on how you react. It's not the same. But, I can understand why you'd feel that way. I don't want that. I'd rather make friends, not enemies, of anybody that can be reasoned with, and do try to keep making that effort.

Want to discuss something OT, please PM me. This goes for anybody. My PM box is always open.
Ok...we're good.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #1557
MJR0309

Roamio Plus upgrade

Quote:
All done....473 Hours of HD recording. Unbelievable. !!!. Very painless process. Thanks Mike.
Oh yeah one other thing, Called Tivo and got Lifetime on the Plus for $399 and Lifetime on my TIVOHD for $99. It's been a great couple days here. Mike
Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #1558
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
OK, I guess it's time to officially unsubscribe from this thread.
Not before you read "The Headless Chicken" by Ima Butcher.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #1559
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Was it I. P. Dailey who wrote "Rusty Bedsprings" or was that I. P. Knightly?
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #1560
c3
TiVoholic

People with high capacity TiVos read books?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote