TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #361
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamide View Post
Hi ggieseke,

Got it, thanks you so much for your time and effort. Will update you on how it goes with the replacement. Question on the replacement, since i don't have an old hard drive, what will be my source drive that will house the image? Can the image be anywhere attached to the computer say a USB drive. Will the DvrBARS program recognize the external drive.

Thank you
DVRBars currently does not do Drive-to-Drive restores, only Drive-to-FileBackup and FileBackup-to-Drive restore. So, All you would need is a "Target" drive and an image file (and DVRBars program.)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #362
Olamide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
DVRBars currently does not do Drive-to-Drive restores, only Drive-to-FileBackup and FileBackup-to-Drive restore. So, All you would need is a "Target" drive and an image file (and DVRBars program.)
Ok, great thanks. Will give it a try waiting for the drive from amazon.

Thanks
Olamide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #363
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Some questions:

Is there any problem running DVRbars under Win 8.1? Any possibility that Windows will automatically try to mount the source drive and write a drive signature to it?

Has the problem with an empty card reader been fixed? My new machine came with an 8-in-1 reader and I have absolutely nothing to put in it.

@ How long for a truncated backup of TCD746320? USB 3.0 connection, supposedly max 5Gbps

@ how long for restore?
I haven't tried it on 8.1 but I don't expect any problems. If you don't open Disk Manager while the source drive is connected it shouldn't try to write a signature (that was only a problem on Win2K).

The card reader problem was fixed a few days after the initial post. I would also disable the reader in BIOS if you don't plan to use it, but it's not a problem for DvrBARS anynore.

A truncated backup should only take a few minutes even on a USB 2.0 connection. It's only reading about 2GB, especially if you go into settings and turn off the alternate root partition.

A quick restore is about the same time as the backup. If you do a full restore it writes the entire drive with data or zeroes, so it's up to the connection speed. My PC has an old ICH10 chipset that doesn't support USB 3.0 speeds, so even on eSATA it takes about 3 hours/TB.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #364
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamide View Post
Hi ggieseke,

Got it, thanks you so much for your time and effort. Will update you on how it goes with the replacement. Question on the replacement, since i don't have an old hard drive, what will be my source drive that will house the image? Can the image be anywhere attached to the computer say a USB drive. Will the DvrBARS program recognize the external drive.

Thank you
It scans the entire machine for drives at startup, so the target drive has to be attached before you run DvrBARS. The image can be anywhere that Windows recognizes (external, DVD, flash drive, etc).
Old 12-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #365
DFWDave

Bought a TCD748 (Premier XL) back in Sept of 2011, and unlike the other 9 Tivo devices I've purchased since 2003 (including 2 S2s, 2 Minis, and 1 Stream), this is the ONLY one I purchased an extended warranty on.

Of course, it expired less than three months ago, and right before my eyes this morning it went into the endless reboot of hard drive failure!

It's also about the only one that I haven't replaced the hard drive in and have a backup for.

I guess it's too late to make a long story short - looking for a factory backup image for a TCD748.

Thanks
DFWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #366
gls84

Thank you ggieseke! My Tivo Premier is back up and running. Had trouble with my cable card after fixing but Time Warner came and fixed their problem.

Great tool set.

Gary
gls84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #367
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gls84 View Post
Thank you ggieseke! My Tivo Premier is back up and running. Had trouble with my cable card after fixing but Time Warner came and fixed their problem.

Great tool set.

Gary
Agree with the "great tool set" and the tremendous value ggieseke offers to the forum, with his FREE tool, FREE help, & FREE PMs to help you get your images, supported only by those who click on his PayPal link to make donations.

However, you will always have to ask the cable company to send a pairing signal to your cablecard, if you use one, when installing a fresh, or donor image.

A truck-roll should not be necessary, just calling the toll-free number on the screen that should come up automatically, or try the local number if that one doesn't work out (or the number doesn't work). Many cableco's now charge if they have to roll a truck for YOUR problem. Which, if your cable was working before you needed to image, is technically "your problem".

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just posting something others should know, who find themselves here, and possibly save the cost of a "truck roll" to resolve a customer-related issue. A critical part of the pairing data for a cablecard is stored on the TiVo's hard drive. If the HDD fails, you lose it.

In the phone-in method, which even cable techs must do (or do the equivalent online), sets of numbers from the cablecard screen on your TiVo are read to dispatch/operator and manually entered to send the pairing signal and re-write that lost bit on the hard drive.

Sometimes the person who gets your call doesn't remember the last time they had to do this, if ever (other than training), or just is lazy and will push for a truck roll, to make it not their job anymore, to do a very simple task.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #368
Olamide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.

Use DvrBARS to restore it. If the new drive is larger than the original you can download a copy of the jmfs CD, boot from it, and expand the drive.

When you put the new drive in the TiVo run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" it to the motherboard.
Hi ggieseke,

Thank you very much. Was able to restore, expand and backup the new harddisk. Thanks so much for you hardwork.
Olamide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #369
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
However, you will always have to ask the cable company to send a pairing signal to your cablecard, if you use one, when installing a fresh, or donor image.
That may be true in some cases but not all. I've never had to do that with my cable company (Suddenlink) when installing a new drive in a box using a CableCard so I'm thinking that maybe they marry the card to the MAC address of the box. I have had to remarry the card when I've moved it to a different box.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #370
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
That may be true in some cases but not all. I've never had to do that with my cable company (Suddenlink) when installing a new drive in a box using a CableCard so I'm thinking that maybe they marry the card to the MAC address of the box. I have had to remarry the card when I've moved it to a different box.
I intentionally posted accurate info for the person's post (which named TWC as the MSO), to which I was replying to, as well at ~90%+ of other cable markets, and then decided it might be fun to wait and see when how long it would take for somebody in the ~2% of cable markets that don't require pairing, at all, to correct me. Not really, I was just trying to be brief (which isn't easy for me).

Some markets only require it if you have elective "packages" of channels in the lineup, some only require it if you subscribe to premium channels, etc....

Now, let's see how many people want to argue market percentages (actually, please, lets not).

Cox, in my market, is so tightly locked-down, that If I have two identical model & size drives, one being in the TiVo, with the cablecard paired, and I clone the drive to the blank identical drive (with only a different drive serial number), the pairing comes undone.

People dispute this is possible, and claim that there's no way the cablecard could know the HDD S/N. I've replicated it so many times, on three generations of TiVos, with virtually every known method of cloning (including DD type sector-by-sector / forensic cloning), that nobody is going to convince me that I'm "doing something wrong" (which I've been told, many times) as being the reason why the cloning, including the pairing data, doesn't keep the cablecard paired, in my market.

You are correct, in that the MAC addresses are in the pairing data, in one form or another. In my market, so are the serial numbers (which other than the hard drive, which doesn't have a MAC address, is mostly just redundant).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-07-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #371
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Cox, in my market, is so tightly locked-down, that If I have two identical model & size drives, one being in the TiVo, with the cablecard paired, and I clone the drive to the blank identical drive (with only a different drive serial number), the pairing comes undone.

People dispute this is possible, and claim that there's no way the cablecard could know the HDD S/N. I've replicated it so many times, on three generations of TiVos, with virtually every known method of cloning (including DD type sector-by-sector / forensic cloning), that nobody is going to convince me that I'm "doing something wrong" (which I've been told, many times) as being the reason why the cloning, including the pairing data, doesn't keep the cablecard paired, in my market.
On Comcast CT if you take a CC that is pared with TiVo-A and put it in another TiVo, than put it back into the original TiVo-A the CC will be unpaired as the data changes, I have done this so I know, and it was confirmed by the Comcast Tech.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #372
BDM351

You did a great job making DvrBARS

Thanks to the developers of DvrBARS. I find it easy to use.
I Need a .vhd file for a SVR-2000 with a 30GB drive.
I have a question. I have an old SVR-2000 that I need to image a drive for (30GB or 40GB drives). The one back up that I have is from a 80GB drive. I found a .tbk file...how do I convert .tbk file to .vhd file?
BDM351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #373
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDM351 View Post
I have a question. I have an old SVR-2000 that I need to image a drive for (30GB or 40GB drives). The one back up that I have is from a 80GB drive. I found a .tbk file...how do I convert .tbk file to .vhd file?
.tbk is a WinMFS backup file, so use that free program instead.

~~~~~

Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #374
BDM351

Turns out the .tbk file I had was no good.
I still need an image for a SVR-2000 for a 30GB or 40GB HD
Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #375
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Quote:
This backup is from a 80gb drive as you stated earlier, so it needs a drive at least 80gb or larger.
Please explain what happened to determine the backup file was bad.

~~~~~

Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #376
BDM351

The original drives are a 30GB Quantum fireball lct10 series and a 40GB MaxtorD540X-4K

the .tbk file I located on this site doesn't work Winmfs give me the error message "Not a valid backup file" when trying to restore it to a drive. This was to a 80GB WD drive
Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #377
ggieseke

The only SVR-2000 image I have is from a box running dual 120GB drives. You could probably restore just the A drive image and then use WinMFS to divorce it, but you would need at least one drive that big and I've never tried it.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #378
DFWDave

Thanks to ggieseke for the TCD748 image. Before attempting that, I did try a Hail Mary and tried a quick backup and restore of my failing drive to the new drive. It did boot in the Tivo, but at random times during the downloading guide data, it would just reboot.

I figured it was corrupted software from the other hard drive or something, so I moved on to the clean image provided. When booting from that one, it gets stuck on the second boot up screen. When I say stuck, I mean overnight, not just 10-15 minutes.

Possibly something more than just the hard drive failing in this unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWDave View Post
Bought a TCD748 (Premier XL) back in Sept of 2011, and unlike the other 9 Tivo devices I've purchased since 2003 (including 2 S2s, 2 Minis, and 1 Stream), this is the ONLY one I purchased an extended warranty on.

Of course, it expired less than three months ago, and right before my eyes this morning it went into the endless reboot of hard drive failure!

It's also about the only one that I haven't replaced the hard drive in and have a backup for.

I guess it's too late to make a long story short - looking for a factory backup image for a TCD748.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #379
ggieseke

Quote:
Thanks to ggieseke for the TCD748 image. Before attempting that, I did try a Hail Mary and tried a quick backup and restore of my failing drive to the new drive. It did boot in the Tivo, but at random times during the downloading guide data, it would just reboot.

I figured it was corrupted software from the other hard drive or something, so I moved on to the clean image provided. When booting from that one, it gets stuck on the second boot up screen. When I say stuck, I mean overnight, not just 10-15 minutes.

Possibly something more than just the hard drive failing in this unit?
Have you run the new drive through the full manufacturer's diags, checked the cables you're using to copy and the ones in the TiVo, and probably a few other things?

You might also try the clean 748 image again, but keep the network disconnected until it's fully set up. If it's trying to make the jump from 14.5 to 20.3.7 while everything else is going on...
Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #380
DFWDave

Quote:
Have you run the new drive through the full manufacturer's diags, checked the cables you're using to copy and the ones in the TiVo, and probably a few other things?

You might also try the clean 748 image again, but keep the network disconnected until it's fully set up. If it's trying to make the jump from 14.5 to 20.3.7 while everything else is going on...
Haven't done full mfg diags, but the drive initially came up from my (failing) image.

Point I didn't try and definitely should is leaving network disconnected. I am also re-downloading the clean image in case it was corrupted the first time.

While the image is downloading, the Tivo is running a SMART test on the new drive, now about 50% through the Extended test.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #381
DFWDave

Quote:
Haven't done full mfg diags, but the drive initially came up from my (failing) image.

Point I didn't try and definitely should is leaving network disconnected. I am also re-downloading the clean image in case it was corrupted the first time.

While the image is downloading, the Tivo is running a SMART test on the new drive, now about 50% through the Extended test.

Both old and new hard drive completely pass full mfg diags. Starting to wonder if it is the power supply - if I let it sit unplugged long enough, either drive will boot and work for a while, then either go into a reboot cycle or sit at the almost done screen.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if I just give up and replace it with a Roamio Plus. I could either return the 2TB drive I just purchased, use it to upgrade a factory 746 unit I have, or use it in the Roamio. I could also throw more money at the XL with a power supply, assuming it's a safe bet that is the problem.

I'm certainly not looking for an excuse to spend $399 on a Roamio. With 3 Premieres (2 x 746, 1 x 748, 1 x 758), 1 Tivo HD, 2 Minis, and a Stream, I feel like I have the market cornered.

I guess looking for anything obvious I might have missed.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #382
unitron

Quote:

Thanks
Is it possible that it's the endless reboot of trying to install a TiVo OS update and not succeeding?
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #383
DFWDave

Quote:
Both old and new hard drive completely pass full mfg diags. Starting to wonder if it is the power supply - if I let it sit unplugged long enough, either drive will boot and work for a while, then either go into a reboot cycle or sit at the almost done screen.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if I just give up and replace it with a Roamio Plus. I could either return the 2TB drive I just purchased, use it to upgrade a factory 746 unit I have, or use it in the Roamio. I could also throw more money at the XL with a power supply, assuming it's a safe bet that is the problem.

I'm certainly not looking for an excuse to spend $399 on a Roamio. With 3 Premieres (2 x 746, 1 x 748, 1 x 758), 1 Tivo HD, 2 Minis, and a Stream, I feel like I have the market cornered.

I guess looking for anything obvious I might have missed.
Kind of as a last resort, called Tivo Tech Support this morning to see what they might suggest. They had me disconnect from coax and ethernet, and remove cable card and boot Tivo and Clear and Delete Everything. This was after they asked if by chance the DVR had become full when I started having the problem. I did notice yesterday on one of my successful boot-ups (original drive) that it had, in-fact become full, and that I deleted all of the recordings. This led to the clear and delete suggestion indicating that at 100% capacity, the Tivo might become "confused".

It only took about 5 attempts to power up before I could get it to boot and allow me to do a clear and delete. I don't think it made it any less "confused" though, because subsequent to that it is still acting the same way.

I was offered $50 off the a Roamio Plus that I discussed with billing customer service in conjunction with a service transfer (different person) and billing at the same rate without the 1-yr commitment.

Starting to think that moving this new 2TB drive to my unmodified 746 and replacing the 748 with a Roamio Pro for $350 is my next move. The sale prices on the Premieres look pretty nice, but the feedback on the speed on the Roamio sounds like it might be worth it (and the extra tuners).
Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #384
unitron

Quote:
Ideally an S1 image, Philips or Sony, would have been undated to 3.0 (so you can work around any internal modem problems via either Ethernet card or serial port) and have had the kernel patched to handle drives larger than 137GB.

And if my TiVo wrangling motherboard wasn't acting up, and if I could find where I put my Sony S1, I'd build you one.

In the meantime, the image mentioned in this post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...02#post6228202

is no longer available at the link in that post, but you can get it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r-20080428.bak

You'll need to use the MFS Live cd v1.4 to restore it, and I'm pretty sure I remember it needs a 30GB drive.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #385
BDM351

unitron, Thanks Much. I will add this to my backups.
Last week I ended up locating some 80GB Drives and replacing the 2 SVR-2000's with larger H.D. and loaded a image I had from another series 1 that had a 80GB in it.
I didn't see this until now....holidays became quite busy but thank you for the follow up. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #386
unitron

Quote:
unitron, Thanks Much. I will add this to my backups.
Last week I ended up locating some 80GB Drives and replacing the 2 SVR-2000's with larger H.D. and loaded a image I had from another series 1 that had a 80GB in it.
I didn't see this until now....holidays became quite busy but thank you for the follow up. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.
Just don't mix Sony and Philips S1 images or you'll have to use the wrong remote and the first time you try to download program listings it'll probably have a nervous breakdown.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #387
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Just don't mix Sony and Philips S1 images or you'll have to use the wrong remote and the first time you try to download program listings it'll probably have a nervous breakdown.
"Just another one which flew over the Tivo's nest."
I remember that movie.

~~~~~

Old 12-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #388
1larryw

Quote:
Check your PMs.
Hello, I am looking for anyone who can provide me with an image as well for the TCD746320.. I do not have enough posts to be able to PM anyone (especially ggieseke...) but it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

LW

Last edited by 1larryw : 12-27-2013 at 03:06 PM.
1larryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #389
ggieseke

Check your PMs.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #390
1larryw

Quote:
Check your PMs.
Thanks. Going there now. You may be a life saver
1larryw is offline   Reply With Quote