TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
xwozone

Dct

Question for you guys. Im currently a mediacom customer and looking to shave down my bill.

If i get a TiVo and want to use it only as a DCT (Cable box) and rent the Mcard from mediacom, is that an issue? i dont need the DVR ability as my son doesn't need to record anything nor does my dad.

I was looking at this on amazon. TiVo Roamio HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player (TCD846500)

Before i order 2, i want to make sure it will work.

Anyone else tried doing this before?

My main needs are just the guide and the prem channels that im sub to. The VOD and the rest i could careless about it.

Or even cheaper ideas.

Last edited by xwozone : 12-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.
xwozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwozone View Post
Question for you guys. Im currently a mediacom customer and looking to shave down my bill.

If i get a TiVo and want to use it only as a DCT (Cable box) and rent the Mcard from mediacom, is that an issue? i dont need the DVR ability as my son doesn't need to record anything nor does my dad.

I was looking at this on amazon. TiVo Roamio HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player (TCD846500)

My main needs are just the guide and the prem channels that im sub to. The VOD and the rest i could careless about it.

Or even cheaper ideas.
Does DCT stand for Digital Cable Tuner?

Let me begin by stating that the reason for the TiVo hardware to exist in the first place is to have something on which to run the TiVo software.

And to be licensed to run the TiVo software, you either pay about $500 per machine for a license for that machine that's good as long as the machine doesn't die, or you pay a monthly fee per machine, your choice.

I think the monthly on the new TiVos is $14.95, but I could be mistaken somewhere within a plus or minus $5 range.

And it sounds like most of what constitutes the "TiVo experience" is the stuff you don't care about.

If you had a TiVo I think you'd eventually wonder how you ever did without it, but right now it looks like the opposite of what you think you want.

How much are you currently paying mediacom and for what and in what part of the country?

Maybe there's a used, lifetimed TiVo solution that would fit your needs.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:

Or even cheaper ideas.
TiVo requires a subscription, either monthly or lifetime, and is non-functional without one. You won't be able to just purchase the box and use it as a non-DVR cable box. Make sure you factor in the cost of both the box and the subscription.

Another option you could consider that would be cheaper would be the Samsung Smart Media Player. It does not have DVR functionality. It requires no subscription. Hardware retail cost is $149.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

If you just want a straight-up STB without the DVR, you might consider looking at the Samsung GX-SM530CF. $138 on Amazon.

Edit: Yeah, that.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
lessd

Quote:

Or even cheaper ideas.
I use a older HD TiVo as a cable box in a guest room, I use a cable card from Comcast that is paired, but I have no service on the TiVo, you do not get any information about what is playing, but you do get the name of the channel, the extra cable card is now costing me only $1/month, no HD fee so I will keep that set up, good for a guest room, but not for a family TV.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
TiVo requires a subscription, either monthly or lifetime, and is non-functional without one. You won't be able to just purchase the box and use it as a non-DVR cable box. Make sure you factor in the cost of both the box and the subscription.
Technically you can use a TiVo without a sub if all you want is basic cable box functionality, but it's a waste.
All you get is live TV and what little trickplay you get with a 30 minute buffer and no guide data. Channels can only be tuned direct or with the up/down channel button. Obviously no other extra features.
I suppose $150 for a basic Roamio would pay for itself vs. renting a box from the cable company in perpetuity, but there's most likely a cheaper solution that isn't severely disabled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
If you just want a straight-up STB without the DVR, you might consider looking at the Samsung GX-SM530CF. $138 on Amazon.

Edit: Yeah, that.
+1 for the Samsung. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it works great. I got rid of the last of my Verizon set top boxes so now the only hardware I'm renting from Verizon is three cablecards. Tivo is overkill if you only want to tune TV channels and not record anything.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
brykasch

Well as a Mediacom customer and employee, Using Tivo with our system is a breeze. Now we are using Tivos in most areas and will be offering them as upgrades shortly for current customers.

However your best bet is to purchase your own Tivo, there are apps on it that aren't available on Mediacom Tivos such as Netflix and Hulu. Plus it will be cheaper in the long run. Cablecard rental is 1.99 a month. I picked mine up a couple years ago brought it home and had it paired in 10 minutes.
brykasch is offline   Reply With Quote