TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
marklyn

a few TWC cable card questions

Last week I went into a smaller TWC cable store to ask some basic questions about a cable card and tuning adapter, which I'd need for new planned Roamio plus purchase.
It was a very slow day and 1 other person was being waited on so I had one guy who gave me his undivided attention. I asked him if it was possible to 'see' what a tuning adapter and cable card looked like and he willingly obliged by going to a bin and pulling out one of each so I could eyeball it.
Since I'm going to order my TWC cable this week I planned on going back to the same store and seeing if I can talk to the same guy.

A few questions. If he has a 'bin full' of cable cards, is it possible I can ask him for a specific brand, or to even go further, is there any way he is able to tell the version number on the cable card by 'testing it" or something like that?

If this is a possibility, is there a known brand and version that seems to be less problematic for TWC? I've seen mention of this for various other cable providers but haven't yet come across anything specific for TWC.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
JC Fedorczyk

Here in Charlotte, NC "I think" they use the same cable card across the area. Same for the tuning adapter. It's the firmware that's key from everything I've read and that's something that the techs can update once you're plugged in and powered up.

Most important is the national TWC cable card support phone #.
866-532-2598

They actually know what they are doing. Call them directly and don't waste time with the regular support number.
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
gigaguy

You can ask, but don't expect much. My experience is their services are preset, you say what you need and they hand them out. It's easier not to ask too many tech questions, when I did, the worker didn't know and even had attitude about me asking things not on the script.
The office workers are not techs, they are scripted sales staff.
but of course your experience may be better than mine. The cablecard phone support for was very good when I set mine up.
Austin TWC cable user.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
jhwpbm

Agreed re: the cable card support line (shown above).

Folks at the local offices don't know much, at least around here. When I first went in to get my SDV tuning adapter, they didn't even know what one was, despite the fact that Corporate had sent out a letter more than two weeks before saying everyone needed one within 30 days to avoid losing access!

They're great for working on billing issues, etc., but not techies.
jhwpbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Xabanero

Austin TWC

I've been a customer of TWC for years here in Austin (actually Buda) but I was tired of paying for outdated technology and software so I bought a Roamio Plus about a week ago (ABT). Went to the TWC office on Stassney and asked for a M-CableCARD and Tuning Adapter. I asked them if they had other brands/models or if they had newer versions than others but they said they only had one brand.

Anyway, I just took what they gave me Cisco STA1520 (bigger than I thought it would be) and a Scientific Atlantic m-card (I believe it's Cisco though).

Begin setting up the tivo first without cablecard. I inserted the m-card (when Tivo prompted) before calling in to activate it. I noticed the m-card firmware was updated automatically from TWC which was kind of cool.
Then call the number that is posted above, don't waste time with normal TWC support. The Tivo TWC people knew exactly what to do and step you through setting up and authorizing both your m-card and adapter.

Long story short, it was actually less painful than I expected (I've read many horror stories). I can say that everything appears to be working properly so far and I even recorded 6 shows at once (without even realizing it). I've only been up a couple of days though so only time will tell if things stay good.
Xabanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabanero View Post
I've been a customer of TWC for years here in Austin (actually Buda) but I was tired of paying for outdated technology and software so I bought a Roamio Plus about a week ago (ABT). Went to the TWC office on Stassney and asked for a M-CableCARD and Tuning Adapter. I asked them if they had other brands/models or if they had newer versions than others but they said they only had one brand.

Anyway, I just took what they gave me Cisco STA1520 (bigger than I thought it would be) and a Scientific Atlantic m-card (I believe it's Cisco though).

Begin setting up the tivo first without cablecard. I inserted the m-card (when Tivo prompted) before calling in to activate it. I noticed the m-card firmware was updated automatically from TWC which was kind of cool.
Then call the number that is posted above, don't waste time with normal TWC support. The Tivo TWC people knew exactly what to do and step you through setting up and authorizing both your m-card and adapter.

Long story short, it was actually less painful than I expected (I've read many horror stories). I can say that everything appears to be working properly so far and I even recorded 6 shows at once (without even realizing it). I've only been up a couple of days though so only time will tell if things stay good.
That's good to hear, since I also live in Austin and would be on the same system. Did you need to ask them specifically for a M-card or did they know to give that to you?
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
gigaguy

I just told them I needed a cablecard for a Tivo.
I actually need another TA and cc cause I jut got an XL4 off craigslist. I wonder if they will mail it, instead of having to go into the store. I'm in no rush.

unexpectedly I now have 2 lifetime Premieres for very cheap. gotta love craigslist. when I transfered this new XL4 to my acct TiVo offered me lifetime on my other Premiere for $99.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
knownzero
Seeker

Having just installed a new Roamio and moving an unused cable card to another TiVo, yes, call the number listed above. The level 3 people didn't have a clue.