TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
ADG
Allan

Roamios without problems?

I've been waiting a little before purchasing a Roamio Plus to see what others think of it. Of course due to the nature of forums such as this, most of the posts revolve around problems. I'm curious to know how many early adopters have Roamios that are trouble-free. I'm on the Cablevision system and as I understand it my area has cards that support 6 tuners, so that should be an issue. I already have two S3's and a Premier, so I'm certainly familiar with the product.

Are there a fair number of folks with Roamios running without any issues? Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
pgoelz

I am one who has been extremely annoyed by the C133 issues and with the poor response to them by the telephone support staff. Tivo really needs to get their act together on that front.

However, I have to say that with the EXCEPTION of that particular issue, my Roamio basic has been 100% trouble free and I am very satisfied with it. It is small, inexpensive and very easy to upgrade to a larger hard drive.

I have had the S2, S3 and now the S5 and the Roamio is hands down the best of the lot.... assuming that Tivo successfully addresses the C133 issues and functionality with no or partial internet, that is.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Jasper

I bought the Roamio Pro a week after launch. Zero problems on FIOS in Northern VA.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

The C133 issue impacted premieres as well, so that really adds little to the OP's question.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The C133 issue impacted premieres as well, so that really adds little to the OP's question.
It's fine - I'm getting exactly what I'm looking for, thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

The relatively minor issues I was having with the Roamio were resolved within the first couple of software updates (related to Verizon Fios cablecards). I'm enjoying it a lot without problems.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
tds4182

Smile Roamios without problems?

I've been running a Roamio Plus for about 3 months now. It took 4 cable cards from Suddenlink before we finally got one that would authorize all 6 tuners but, other than that, no problems.
tds4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far

Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
comedian999

On my second week with Roamio Pro on Comcast. Other than the C133 errors on two occassions (The night I installed it was the night of the extended outage - great timing!), I've had no problem. All six tuners working, I took the lastest software update automatically and with no trouble. I haven't watched a ton of Netflix yet, but no unexpected reboots so far.

That said: I have no iOs devices, so I can't address any potential streaming problems anyone might be having.
comedian999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
AdamNJ

Launch day Roamio Pro, on cablevision.
After the Cisco firmware was resolved, I haven't had any issues at all.
If u are in the Raritan valley system, buy it.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
jntc

I have to say, the roamio has been pretty good so far. I am having problems with my mini's attached to it, but the roamio itself, working great. The service issues (c133) were frustrating, but seem to be under control over the last few days.
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
xbr23

i have been up and running since the end of September on my Roamio Pro. i have not had many "issues", in fact, no issues with the hardware of the Roamio. i have had some pixelation (recorded shows) and tuning adapter (V53 channel not available) issues but, there is no way of knowing who to blame for those issues. i have had "issues" with the iPad app, but even the app seems to have gotten better with updates. tuning adapter issues have definitely gotten better with the 20.3.8 update. :-)

most of us, that know we are early adapters, expect some glitches. my glitches have been fewer than some on here. i am pleased with Roamio and would recommend it others. i also have a Premeir XL4 and i like the Roamio's UI speed way more than the XL4.

Last edited by xbr23 : 12-15-2013 at 07:10 PM.
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
jimmypowder

I have a Tico Roamio plus. Here are my grades Recording & ease of use -A Downloading shows - C ,just too slow User interface - A Streaming capability - F if your looking for this feature buy a slingbox or something similar
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
ltxi

I've had two Plus boxes running for a couple of months now...no problems....quite happy.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
tomm1079

have had a plus upgraded to 3 TB drive for a few weeks now on comcast.

No issues. ONly the one time the system had downtime a week or so ago. Other then that been running perfect.

But i also never had issues with my Series 4's while everyone else did.
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

I have two basic Roamio and they are nearly flawless, it is the fastest, most pleasant to use DVR I've ever seen. Mine are OTA, so there is no potential for CableCards or tuning adapters to make them less reliable.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
buccobruce

A few weeks with a roamio plus and a mini. No problems, on Comcast, works as I expected.
buccobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

I have the Roamio basic on OTA. In two months, I've had two issues that I can remember.

1. If a download is aborted, the blue light stays on, and further downloads are prevented. Fixed by rebooting, or maybe software update, or both, not sure.
2. Video frozen. Can select menus, and change channels. Audio follows channel changes, but video doesn't, as though the video processor is frozen. Fixed by rebooting.

I have some dislikes of the way the software works, but the hardware seems to be OK, ... so far.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Roamio Pro and I've had zero issues,
That includes no issues streaming or with my Mini
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
ADG
Allan

Thanks again folks. Glad to hear all the good reports!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

I got a launch Roamio Pro and it worked fine for a week or two on FiOS. But then one morning it was stuck on the powering up screen. I tried rebooting it multiple times, even with no connections, and had the same results. When I took it back to BestBuy and they plugged it in, it booted up. I still exchanged it and the replacement Roamio Pro has been working fine without issues for three months.

I also got a Roamio Basic, directly from TiVo, around six weeks ago and that has been working great with OTA.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #22

No issues here. Best TiVo I've had since my series 1.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
the block

I'd like to add I love my Roamio/Mini duo. I love the speed and modernized functionality. Haven't had any problems with it yet.
the block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
mxfanatic

My Roamio Plus has been working very well from day 1. (C133 errors aside)
mxfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
tomhorsley

Other than the occasional server-side C133 recently, my Roamio has been pretty much flawless, but I doubt I'd be able to say that if I hadn't first waited for Comcast to roll out the new cablecard firmware. My Premiere was horrible till the new firmware showed up.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #26
moon_tower

I have had a Roamio Plus for a few months now. No issues. I expected problems pairing a new card from Comcast, but that was no issue either.
moon_tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #27
ADG
Allan

Okay, I'm convinced. Just ordered one - thanks again everyone.