TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
JSY

Transfer of plan to Roamio

I received an email from TiVo offering to upgrade my Tivo to the Roamios at a discounted price along with what appears to be the ability to transfer my existing plan to the Roamio. Has anyone else seen and done this? I was thinking about it, but not sure if I understand it correctly.

I have a TiVo HD XL at the $12.95/mo plan.
I also have a TiVo Premiere XL at the $6.95/mo multi service discount plan.

I really don't want my rates to increase for obvious reasons - so I was thinking of just replacing the HD XL to a Roamio Pro ($499) but I do want to be sure that my $12.95/mo plan will transfer over. When I look at this page (http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20) it seems to indicate that it cannot transfer over - so it seems contrary to the TiVo email I got. Then again the email has a footnote saying it's a limited time promotion so maybe it's an incentive for me to move up. The footnote also makes me wonder if I can still keep my $6.95 msd for the Premier XL.

Sooo, before I contact them I was wondering if any of you experts know if I can upgrade and keep my existing plan rates? (I don't know what I'll do with the HD XL once it's removed. If they'd offer me a cheap lifetime on it maybe I'll keep it and use it for OTA and streaming use for another tv but otherwise...) I won't do this if my rates will need to increase.

Additional edit: Sorry, I noticed the Deals thread below but since I had a question on plan transfer, I wasn't sure if this fit in there. Ooops if it did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tivo.jpg (53.8 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by JSY : 12-14-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added jpg...
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Since it seems that your HD is the primary box on your account, if you were to replace it with a Premiere or Roamio, it will go up to 14.99. It is what qualifies you for the MSD discount.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
willp2

I just upgraded my HD to a Roamio under that promotion and kept the same rate. You just need to follow the directions on the email and call them to do the deal.

This only works if you buy from them directly and you have to do it over the phone and not online, or at least that's the way it worked for me. Be sure to confirm that you are keeping the same rate.
willp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
bcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by willp2 View Post
I just upgraded my HD to a Roamio under that promotion and kept the same rate. You just need to follow the directions on the email and call them to do the deal.

This only works if you buy from them directly and you have to do it over the phone and not online, or at least that's the way it worked for me. Be sure to confirm that you are keeping the same rate.
Usually the email you get offering this option tells you which TSN the offer applies to. I did this and replaced a Premiere that was being charged at a $12.95 rate with a Roamio Pro. I have another Premiere that I got replacing an old TiVo HD at a $9.95 rate. I wish I would get an email offering me a Roamio replacement/transfer for that rate. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
--
bc
bcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
JSY

Thanks so much for the tips all. Unfortunately this email doesn't say which TSN this applies to, but I guess I'll give it a shot by calling them. If they can retain the $12.95 charge then I'll probably go for it. I'm glad someone has had it done, so fingers crossed.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
JSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcronin View Post
Usually the email you get offering this option tells you which TSN the offer applies to. I did this and replaced a Premiere that was being charged at a $12.95 rate with a Roamio Pro. I have another Premiere that I got replacing an old TiVo HD at a $9.95 rate. I wish I would get an email offering me a Roamio replacement/transfer for that rate. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
--
bc
Ooops - I didn't look at the email close enough.. It IS tagged to a specific TSN. It is tagged to the Premiere XL that has the $6.95 charge. Now this is interesting - why would it be tagged to the MSD unit even though the XL is newer than the HD?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Ooops - I didn't look at the email close enough.. It IS tagged to a specific TSN. It is tagged to the Premiere XL that has the $6.95 charge. Now this is interesting - why would it be tagged to the MSD unit even though the XL is newer than the HD?
I transferred the $6.95 rate from my two tuner Premiere to a Roamio Basic. And then they gave me lifetime on the Premiere for $99.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
JSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I transferred the $6.95 rate from my two tuner Premiere to a Roamio Basic. And then they gave me lifetime on the Premiere for $99.
Okay, I just got off the phone with them -

Yes, the deal was for the TSN for the Premiere with the 6.95 rate however it didn't matter - she was able to just replace the HD (which is what I wanted to replace) with the $12.95 rate instead. I guess it could have been done the other way (replace the Premiere and transfer the Premier to the HD plan but that sounds messy). So in the end, my rates stay the same and she assured me of that as I would need to call back once I get my Roamio Pro in the mail.

She was going to suggest the Roamio Plus with 150 hrs but since my Premiere XL had also 150 hrs and I was at 100% (yes 100%), I thought I better go with the Pro for the 450hrs. I am such a tv programming hoarder! But truth be told, it's mainly because I sometimes record full seasons before watching shows. However, it's nice she suggested the lower alternative - you don't get that.

I have to admit one thing - I've had about 11+ yrs service and my calls with TiVo have always been pleasant. They know what they're talking about and are always cordial to me. I can't say the same for Time Warner Cable NYC unfortunately as my experience with them - even Tier 3 - has been mediocre.

And now I have to face going through a battle with them in pairing my cablecard to the Roamio soon. I just know I will have issues.. lol