TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
jscozz

Show photos from PC?

I have used the Tivo Desktop free version for many years to show photos from PC on Tivo S3 and HD. I now have a Roamio Pro. When I display photos on it from PC the photos are crappy quality. They are perfectly clear on the PC. I know they have discontinued the free Desktop software. Before I waste money on the $ version, can anyone tell me if it displays the full photo resolution cleanly? or is there a better way to just show photos from PC to Roamio?

Also, does the new $ Desktop support any new video formats? ie. I'd love to point it to the folders where I store my camcorder AVCHD video and just watch all my camcorder video on the Tivo... never was possible on the old Tivo. Is it now?

Thanks for any advice!
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
HomeUser

For videos I don't use TiVoDesktop I use PyTiVo + Kmttg

For the photos I don't think Plus has any additional capability. Check that your current TiVo Desktop has the HD option set.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
worachj

I didn't think TiVo desktop worked with the new Roamio's. If it does its not supported by TiVo. If you want to take an extra step you can upload your photo's to Picasa or Photobucket accounts and view them on your Roamio under the Music and Photo menu.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
HomeUser

Looking at photos served by TiVoDesktop on my 4 tuner Roamio Basic now.
Over Thanksgiving I played Alice's Restaurant twice from the TiVoDesktop PC.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
jscozz

HomeUser, are you saying they look as good as they do on the PC without degradation? Free or paid version?
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscozz View Post
HomeUser, are you saying they look as good as they do on the PC without degradation?
No. They can't, really.

The TiVo uses SD resolution (704x480 -- actually a bit less, to account for overscan) in the built-in picture viewer. (This hasn't been upgraded for the HDUI, and probably won't be.) TiVo Desktop will scale pictures down to that resolution, if necessary (as in most cases). For pictures below the requested size, AFAIK TD passes them through as-is. BUT -- in addition to leaving the screen unfilled -- these pictures appear in the wrong aspect ratio, since the images on your computer use (almost certainly) square pixels, and the SD video mode does not. (For these reasons, unlike TD, pyTivo resizes pictures that are below the requested size, as well as those above it.)

You can get a better picture via the "HD Photos" HME app, which will appear under the "Showcases and Apps" menu rather than "Music and Photos". This app uses a 1280x720 resolution (actually less), and that mode has square pixels. The colors are better, too, or at least different. But most of the pictures you have will probably still have to be scaled down to fit the screen.

Quote:
Free or paid version?
I'm pretty sure the only differences in those versions are related to videos, not photos or music.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
HomeUser

Mine look fine on the old 50" Panasonic plasma TV. I have not notice any difference in quality with the Series 3, 4 or 5. I downloaded a couple of HD test patterns and the resolution is EIA 700. The same pattern on this 13" PC is a little better then 750 maybe 800.