TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Lifetime costs alot more now. So with MSD $400 lifetime, it would take over 57 months to break even with the $6.95 rate. The break even point was only 43 months when MSD lifetime was $300.

Since the break even point being so long was why I wanted to keep my $6.95 rate and have it transferred to my Romaio Basic. Of course the resale value is much less. But I figure since it can handle OTA or cable it will be more useful as a backup unit if needed in the future for me or my GF.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Lifetime costs alot more now. So with MSD $400 lifetime, it would take over 57 months to break even with the $6.95 rate. The break even point was only 43 months when MSD lifetime was $300.

Since the break even point being so long was why I wanted to keep my $6.95 rate and have it transferred to my Romaio Basic. Of course the resale value is much less. But I figure since it can handle OTA or cable it will be more useful as a backup unit if needed in the future for me or my GF.
Your not assuming any re-sale value, you will recover some of your lifetime investment if you sell the TiVo on say E-Bay.

At the end of October this year I sold a TiVo Premiere TCD746320 no hard drive upgrade for $370 (net after shipping of $310) and a TiVo HD TCD652160 Upgraded to 157h for $265, net $220, the unit was purchased in Sept of 2007 and a $79 1Tb drive was installed, that 8 years of use for a service cost of $400/96 or about $4.2/month.

Last edited by lessd : 12-13-2013 at 11:17 AM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #33
Lrscpa

For anyone who is an eBay virgin, selling a Lifetime Tivo is a breeze.

They make it sooooo easy.

And in both cases (an HD/Tivo Wireless Adapter/Lifetime, Premiere XL4/Stream/Lifetime), items sold at above my minimum price.

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #34
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcronin View Post
On the other hand, I've (sadly) found that the life of a TiVo unit is not that much more than 3 years. Both my old TiVo HD's died almost exactly 3 years after being put into service. So the monthly fees added up to about what lifetime would have cost, so its kind of a wash. I'm not convinced paying the monthly fees upfront via the lifetime charge is so compelling ...
--
bc
Depends on the person and whether they feel compelled to have the latest model or some new feature on that model. Our original S1's were in use for 6 1/2 years and the 2 S3 OLED's that we upgraded to are coming up on 7 years in January. For me the S3's are still meeting my needs so I have not felt the need to move to the Premiere or the Roamio yet and lifetime has paid off tremendously for us especially since we were allowed to "transfer" the S1's lifetime to the S3's for $199 so my cost of service is $2.47 each and dropping with each month.

Unless Comcast decides to implement mpeg4 on a channel that we watch (none yet) I don't see that we'll be upgrading anytime soon either.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #35
nexusplexus9

I upgraded to the Roamio Plus, transferred my $6.95 plan to it and upgraded a Tivo HD to lifetime for $99. If I was paying a higher monthly rate I would do lifetime for the Roamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

nexusplexus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #36
gigaguy

I know many people won;t buy used or want the Roamio, but you can get Lifetime TiVos for a fraction of 'new' plans. I bought a used P4 complete w/ slide remote for $70. I've used it about 90 days on a monthly plan. I just bought an unused lifetime & ext warr. XL4 off craigslist for $200. then TiVo lifetimed my used P4 for $99.

For used buyers or newbies, their plan transfers are great.

Last edited by gigaguy : 12-17-2013 at 12:38 PM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
After reading some old posts, it seems that most people can't get the PLSR code to work if you are ordering a Tivo and service at the same time from Tivo.com. Not sure if that's what you are trying to do.

I bought my Tivo from Best Buy.....so I had to activate separately.

-Kevin
I just tried entering it on my year old XL4 to upgrade from $12.95/month, and it reduced lifetime to $399. I would be ahead after 2-1/2 years.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcronin View Post
Both HD units were bought directly from TiVo and both did have hard drive failures. All my earlier TiVo's (back to my original series 1, and my later 2 DirecTiVo units) worked without issue until I moved on to a new unit. So its just been the more recent ones that haven't lasted. Sure, I could have put new hard drives in them but in both cases the cost of doing that was roughly the same as just getting a new unit, so for me it wasn't worth the effort. Anyway, since new TiVo generations seem to come along about every 3 years and I am the type to upgrade fairly quickly, I just don't see the point in paying the monthly fees upfront. For my use case, it doesn't make sense.
--
bc
What exactly did you do with your Tivo HDs that had failed drives? If they had failed drives, they were still worth a considerable amount and putting new hard drives in them would have been less than $100. I get it, if your time is more valuable than money.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote