TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Lifetime transfer

I recently bought a Roamio and two Minis and activated them with Lifetime. Is there a minimum amount of time these units need to stay on my account (say, 30 days) or can I transfer them to my parents immediately? It's not a big deal if we have to wait, but I'd like to button it up prior to the holidays.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
I recently bought a Roamio and two Minis and activated them with Lifetime. Is there a minimum amount of time these units need to stay on my account (say, 30 days) or can I transfer them to my parents immediately? It's not a big deal if we have to wait, but I'd like to button it up prior to the holidays.
If you've already paid for the hardware and the lifetime subscription, I don't see any reason you can't do it tonight if you call before they shut down for the evening.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Since "Product Lifetime Service" is for the lifetime of the box, you could've purchased it and given the box/service away the very same day without even putting it on your account at all. It's really just a matter of having it there for the purpose of activation. And since some here at TCF have reported cases of selling "lifetimed" boxes only to have them remain on their accounts for a while, it's worth mentioning that even the account isn't really relevant to the operation of said devices. They simply connect to the servers as appropriate based on the settings for locality and provider.

So let your parents get the benefits of these new gifts as soon as you like and let the rest follow at your convenience!
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Thanks for the feedback. I'll transfer them Monday.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll transfer them Monday.
If your parents do not already have an account with TiVo, i.e., they've never previously owned a TiVo, then they will need to set one up.

Since they won't be making any monthly payments to TiVo, they just need to choose an email address they already have to be the email address of record for that account, and they'll need to make up a password so they can access the account via the tivo.com website.

If you're going to be their tech support for these TiVos, though, it might be simpler for them to be on your account and skip your folks having an account altogether.

Are these supposed to be a Christmas surprise or can they know about them before the 25th?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If your parents do not already have an account with TiVo, i.e., they've never previously owned a TiVo, then they will need to set one up.

Since they won't be making any monthly payments to TiVo, they just need to choose an email address they already have to be the email address of record for that account, and they'll need to make up a password so they can access the account via the tivo.com website.

If you're going to be their tech support for these TiVos, though, it might be simpler for them to be on your account and skip your folks having an account altogether.

Are these supposed to be a Christmas surprise or can they know about them before the 25th?
Half-surprise - one knows, the other doesn't.

They don't currently have an account, and I don't seem to be able to create one for them online without activating a device first. Am I missing something? I did see that I can only transfer the service by calling TiVo. (I assume it's some security measure but I don't know enough to know why.) Can I only create an account by calling TiVo? Strange.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Half-surprise - one knows, the other doesn't.

They don't currently have an account, and I don't seem to be able to create one for them online without activating a device first. Am I missing something? I did see that I can only transfer the service by calling TiVo. (I assume it's some security measure but I don't know enough to know why.) Can I only create an account by calling TiVo? Strange.
You can create a new TiVo account by using the TSN of an old un-activated TiVo, just try to active the old TiVo but close out before you put in your credit card, works great. You can use this TSN if needed 595-0001-C035-EFB0

After you create this account log in and you will see no TiVos in the account, than move your Lifetime TiVo into that account by calling as yourself and ask TiVo to move your gift TiVo into the new account.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
You can create a new TiVo account by using the TSN of an old un-activated TiVo, just try to active the old TiVo but close out before you put in your credit card, works great.
I was able to create a new account. Thanks for the workaround.