TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
desertpatriot

Digital to Analog Converter Needed

Digital to Analog Converter Needed

have: tivo series2 dvr w/single analog tuner and a digital cable signal from wall connected to the back of tivo series2

service: time warner cable

objective: keep my tivo series2, convert digital signals from the wall to analog so i can watch channels 29-99 on tivo series2 dvr box

issue: tivo series2 dvr box does not display digital signals channels 29-99. it sees and recognizes them but won't display the content. time warner offers a tuner box w/remote they call a converter (wtf???) which i do not need. i need a digital to analog converter!!!

need: 3rd party digital to analog converter box/device

any suggestions?? ideas? links?
desertpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
HomeUser

You need a Digital Transport Adapter which converts the digital signals to analog. The DTA does have a remote to change the channels instead of the remote the TiVo controls the DTA using the IR control cable that came with the Series 2 see How do I set up my Series2 DVR with a Digital Transport Adapter? If you can not find the "IR Control Cable" is available from TiVo.com for about $7.

TimeWarner may be calling the converter the "tuner box"

The digital channels may be encrypted and only the TWC supplied converter will work.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

There are digital to analog converters in electronics stores but they are only for Over the Air Antenna.
For cable, you need to contact your cable service and rent a box, you cannot buy one.
You would need to connect the IR Blaster (cable with 2 angled things at one end and a plug at the other), to the back of the Tivo where its labeled "IR". Stick the angled things in front of the little IR window on the cable box. This will be how the Tivo controls the cable box and change channels.
Be sure to look in the cable box's menu settings for anything like "Sleep mode" which will turn off the box after some length of inactivity. This will prevent recordings of shows if its off.

You would need to re-run Guided Setup to Cable with cable box and follow through the setup instructions including the setup for controlling the cable box. You would not need to use the cable box remote after setting up with the Tivo because it requires explicit control by the Tivo.

You may need another cable box if you want to watch TV while the Tivo records, or to watch On-Demand.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Unless the cable company is still providing analog channels, your Series 2 TiVo's tuner is useless. It's an analog tuner and will not get ANYTHING if the cable company has switched to an all digital lineup.

You now, if this is the case, MUST use a cable box. The TiVo will never again be able to tune the channels on its own. The analog channels it could tune aren't there any more, and so the TiVo will need another source to turn to for channels it can record.

As explained, that new source is a cable box. The TiVo should be able to control the box with an IR blaster, especially if you put a "tent" over the cable box and the IR blaster so that no outside light can affect things and throw off the channel changing.

You'll have to go thru Guided Setup again and this time tell the TiVo it's now using a cable box. ID the type of box your service provider has given you, and the TiVo should know how to simulate the IR flashes your cable company remote produces. Hide the cable remote away, and use your TiVo remote. The TiVo will take it from there.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
For cable, you need to contact your cable service and rent a box, you cannot buy one.
Not true. I just bought a Samsung GX-SM530CF Smart Media Player a couple of weeks ago to replace my last HD STB in the master bedroom. Now I'm only paying $5 per monthly for a cablecard instead of $12 for the STB. The latest FCC regulations allow you to own all of your own equipment, although you'd still have to rent the cablecard. I have heard that there are some providers that will actually sell you the card rather than have you rent it, but that all depends on your provider.

Unfortunately, the box only has an HDMI output so it doesn't help the OP with his problem. There may be adapters that can convert the HDMI output to analog audio with composite video so the Tivo can use it. I found one made by MDR Electronics, but you'd have to order it from India. I suspect there are others, but I'll leave that to you to Google for it. I do know of several converters that will convert HDMI to component video, but that won't be of much help unless you can also convert the component video to composite.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 12-14-2013 at 09:03 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
desertpatriot

thanx for all your kind suggestions but i'm still confused as to why it's so difficult to convert the digital cable signal from the wall to analog. this is not rocket science
Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpatriot View Post
thanx for all your kind suggestions but i'm still confused as to why it's so difficult to convert the digital cable signal from the wall to analog. this is not rocket science
The conversion is easy. Its the copy protection/scrambling the cable company puts on the digital signal that makes it rocket science.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
HomeUser

It may not be difficult to convert digital to analog except that the digital data can and most likely is encrypted using a key only the provider knows.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
desertpatriot

okay, now i get it. the scrambled digital signal is what i was afraid of.
which raises the question: would an aftermarket desrambler device be a viable option? do they exist? any links?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
ajwees41

Quote:
which raises the question: would an aftermarket desrambler device be a viable option? do they exist? any links?

yes they exist, but like was said you need to get a cable card or box from your cable company. They will not authorize a cable box or cable card bought from anywhere but them.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Try reading. I put links in my previous post above.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
desertpatriot

@unnatural: yes, read your comment -thanx. as mentioned previously i'm trying to keep expenses to a minimum, do not need any additional cable charges and want to hold on to tivo 2series box. what you're offering is good advice but i do not need/want to hassle with cable cards

i visited mdr electronics http://www.mdrelectronics.com/Produc...y.asp?PID=5471
but the box they advertise is for hdmi input...and i need coax input. unless i'm missing something here i do not believe it will work

tried a google search many times for adapter and came up short each time

note:
-i do not need/require a digital signal. plain ol' analog will suffice
-it would appear i need a descrambler but am not 100% certain
Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Everything is moving from analog to digital. They use less bandwidth, power and everything else. Over the air from antenna (for example) has already moved to digital. Currently for the bandwidth of 1 analog channel signal, they can carry 4 or more digital signals.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
desertpatriot

@thabto: no argument there -all good points. but it still does not solve the issue -how can i convert digital to analog without giving more money to the cable companies?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
@thabto: no argument there -all good points. but it still does not solve the issue -how can i convert digital to analog without giving more money to the cable companies?
you can't, you need that cheap $5 a month DTA box referenced above to resolve your issue, and this does not involve CableCARDs, no idea whjy you thought that.

There is no magic bullet product you can buy that automagically converts digital cable to analog cable other than using their DTA. You say "how hard can it be, it's easy" but it's not, and insisting that it is that easy means you may not really be reading what everyone else has already posted.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
mr.unnatural

Quote:
@unnatural: yes, read your comment -thanx. as mentioned previously i'm trying to keep expenses to a minimum, do not need any additional cable charges and want to hold on to tivo 2series box. what you're offering is good advice but i do not need/want to hassle with cable cards
The setup I discussed will keep your monthly bill lower than it would with a set top box from your provider unless you go with a standard def box, then the cost difference may be minimal or even the same. If your provider offers a box with analog audio and composite video then that should suffice for what you want to do.

Quote:
i visited mdr electronics http://www.mdrelectronics.com/Produc...y.asp?PID=5471
but the box they advertise is for hdmi input...and i need coax input. unless i'm missing something here i do not believe it will work
You are missing the point. You need a box that can decode the cable signal from the coax input. To do that you either need to rent a box from your provider or get something like the Samsung Smart Media Player that uses a cablecard. There simply is no other way around it. The Samsung only requires that you rent a cablecard and not the entire box. It will pay for itself in the long run. Since the Samsung only has a HDMI output you need to convert it to analog so it can feed your Tivo, hence the box from MDR electronics.

Quote:
tried a google search many times for adapter and came up short each time

note:
-it would appear i need a descrambler but am not 100% certain
Yes, you do need a descrambler. That's what the cablecard does. Your input signal from the provider is digital so you need something that can not only decode it but also convert it to analog.

The bottom line is that if you want to use your S2 Tivo on a digital system, you're going to need additional hardware to decode and convert the signal to analog. You can either buy your own equipment or rent it from your cableco.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The setup I discussed will keep your monthly bill lower than it would with a set top box from your provider unless you go with a standard def box, then the cost difference may be minimal or even the same. If your provider offers a box with analog audio and composite video then that should suffice for what you want to do.

You are missing the point. You need a box that can decode the cable signal from the coax input. To do that you either need to rent a box from your provider or get something like the Samsung Smart Media Player that uses a cablecard. There simply is no other way around it. The Samsung only requires that you rent a cablecard and not the entire box. It will pay for itself in the long run. Since the Samsung only has a HDMI output you need to convert it to analog so it can feed your Tivo, hence the box from MDR electronics.

Yes, you do need a descrambler. That's what the cablecard does. Your input signal from the provider is digital so you need something that can not only decode it but also convert it to analog.

The bottom line is that if you want to use your S2 Tivo on a digital system, you're going to need additional hardware to decode and convert the signal to analog. You can either buy your own equipment or rent it from your cableco.

They do not sell Cable DTA (digital to analog adapter) at a store you can only get them from the cable provider.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
desertpatriot

thank you unnatural and ajwees for the good advice. at this point i think it best to do some research, invest in a new (previously owned?) digital tivo box and come to grips with 21st century technology. all the best
Old 12-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
thank you unnatural and ajwees for the good advice. at this point i think it best to do some research, invest in a new (previously owned?) digital tivo box and come to grips with 21st century technology. all the best
So is it confirmed that TWC in your area no longer offers any analog channels?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
ajwees41

Quote:
your cheapest option if you want to keep your S2Tivo is do what Homeuser said You need a Digital Transport Adapter which converts the digital signals to analog. The DTA does have a remote to change the channels instead of the remote the TiVo controls the DTA using the IR control cable that came with the Series 2 see How do I set up my Series2 DVR with a Digital Transport Adapter?

You can only get those from your cable company.

Or get a S3 or Newer Tivo and a cablecard from TWC.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
desertpatriot

unitron: twc still offers analog channels 2-28 (by law?) in my area with the exception of channel 4 (nbc) which is digital. i use/view 2-28 to record on my tivo series2 box. with a channel line up that includes mexican soap operas and qvc i'd say i'm ready for a change
note: channels 29-99 are recognized on the tivo series2 but are not viewable

aj: i understand the concept of a dta but choose not to hassle with additional boxes, connectors, adapters, spaghetti, another added charge etc. your suggestion of series 3 or newer is more appealing at this point
Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
They do not sell Cable DTA (digital to analog adapter) at a store you can only get them from the cable provider.
Apparently you did not check the links in my posts to understand what the conversation was about. Everything I discussed is available from sources other than your cable company, except for a cablecard or standard converter box.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
ajwees41

Quote:
unitron: twc still offers analog channels 2-28 (by law?) in my area with the exception of channel 4 (nbc) which is digital. i use/view 2-28 to record on my tivo series2 box. with a channel line up that includes mexican soap operas and qvc i'd say i'm ready for a change

aj: i understand the concept of a dta but choose not to hassle with additional boxes, connectors, adapters, spaghetti, another added charge etc. your suggestion of series 3 or newer is more appealing at this point
well when your area starts to use Switched digital video you will need the sdv adapter from TWC which will work with your S3 or newer Tivo. That's only if you want a channel this only available on the digital tier also in my opinion your better off getting a S4 Tivo since they also handle mpeg 4 video if TWC decides to use it.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
ajwees41

Quote:

aj: i understand the concept of a dta but choose not to hassle with additional boxes, connectors, adapters, spagohetti, another added charge etc. your suggestion of series 3 or newer is more appealing at this point
there is no law that any cable provider can't go all digital.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/dtv-transi...switch-digital
Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
ajwees41

Quote:
Apparently you did not check the links in my posts to understand what the conversation was about. Everything I discussed is available from sources other than your cable company, except for a cablecard or standard converter box.
Apparently you didn't see were the OP wants to keep costs to a minimum.

Even though he doesn't want more wires or boxes the DTA's from TWC would be the cheapest option for his situation since they should be free, but will make his S2 Tivo a single tuner.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #26
Davelnlr_

DTA's are $2.99 a month here from Comcast, and work 100% with my old Tivo series 1.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #27
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Apparently you didn't see were the OP wants to keep costs to a minimum.

Even though he doesn't want more wires or boxes the DTA's from TWC would be the cheapest option for his situation since they should be free, but will make his S2 Tivo a single tuner.
Which is exactly why I linked him to the hardware I suggested. By owning the hardware instead of renting it, it will cost him much less in the long run. If he can get an adapter from TWC for free to do what he wants then that would certainly be the least expensive way to go.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
ajwees41

Quote:
Which is exactly why I linked him to the hardware I suggested. By owning the hardware instead of renting it, it will cost him much less in the long run. If he can get an adapter from TWC for free to do what he wants then that would certainly be the least expensive way to go.
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...r-a-digit.html
Old 12-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
It already is a single tuner Tivo.

Quote:

have: tivo series2 dvr w/single analog tuner and a digital cable signal from wall connected to the back of tivo series2

Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
Colbyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
DTA's are $2.99 a month here from Comcast, and work 100% with my old Tivo series 1.
Amen.

They are only 75 cents a month here and that is why I want to keep them.

Since they convert from digital to analog, does anyone know if they will work with a two tunner series 3? I realize the second tuner will be useless and I won't get HD from the cable but I can get HD OTA.