TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #31
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw1qvpiybu View Post
?????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????100G?? ????????3??????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????!????????? ????...????????????????????????????????????Louis Vuitton 2001 SS " Conte de Fees "(????)?
?????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

??1?100???????2????????????????????????????????????????????? ???3.8m?????????????????????????????????????http://www.originalcellularaccessory.com ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????3???????????????????????3???????

????? ????????25.5cm?????????????????????????????????????5cm?????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????? Studio???????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????2??????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

??????????????????????16???????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????http://www.actionairandelectric.com/...ries-id-6.html ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????65??????????????????110???????????????????????????????? ????????????????100??????145???????????????

???? ????????????? ??? ???????????????????????!! ????????????????? 1???????????? ???????(9?) ?????????HOTNEWS7??????????????? ???????? 1997.07.31??? 9? ???????????????????????????????????????(???) ??????HP?????????????? ?? ??????????????????????????17????????????? ?? 2006??????????????;?????????????? ????????????? ???????????????? ????????????????.????????????????...??????????!????????????? ??...??????????????????????????????????????
???? ????????????????????????????????!??????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? JCAST???? ??? ????????????.?
? ????ios7.03????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????icloud??????????????????????Safari?????????????? ????????????????????...10?24? 13?14??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????11?16?18:30 20:30???????????????????????...10?23? 17?44?iphone5s??????????sim????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????4?????????????????? ?????

??????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????http://www.cherylsgone.com/categories-id-12.html ??? ???? ???????? ???? ???????????? ???????? ???? 0883422018???? ??:????? ??10? ??????????????319 ????? ??????(0) ????(0) ????(0) ???!(0) ??????????? ???????? ????????? ?? PC??? ???? ????????????????????????????????????????? >> ??????? ?????????? ???? ??? ????(0) ??(0) ?????????????????????????????? ???? ??(??) ?????? ?? ?7793403 ????????????319 TEL 0883422018 ????(?.?
Yeah, what he said!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
I read the info about the Mini always grabbing a tuner in another thread here, but I'd have to go looking to find the link. That thread did even have some discussion of a desire for a "Recorded Only" mode, so you could watch while all tuners were otherwise occupied, and the folks in the thread all seemed to agree that that's how it works (i.e. the Mini grabs a tuner, no matter what).

As for the rest, I was considering a Roamio ($200) plus Stream ($130), instead of a Roamio Plus ($400). It would be cheaper and let me view OTA. And, like I said, if Minis could watch Recorded content even when all tuners are in use, I think 4 tuners would be plenty. It's just 2 of us in the house. But, we each have tablets, and we may end up with 5 or 6 TVs in the house (Master bedroom, main floor/TV room, basement, guest bedroom, her office, and/or my office). If the main unit is recording 2 programs, it would be nice for us to be able to have a guest over and still be able to let the guest watch whatever they want in their room while we're each watching recorded content in other rooms (e.g. late night viewing).

Oh, and the new house we're looking at has Ethernet to every jack plate that has coax, so no need for MoCA.

You can get a Roamio plus for under. $350 right now.

If there are only two of you then you are really over-thinking this as far as tuner allocation goes even if u have the occasional guest.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
stuartv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
That's not true, a Mini only grabs a tuner if you go to live tv. I just tested that to verify as I would really annoy me if it grabbed a tuner from my 4 tuner Roamio just to play a recording, but when it's playing the recording it still shows all 4 tuners avail.
Thank you for testing that. I still have a question about it, though. The other thread implied that the Mini would grab a tuner when you start it up, then let it go when you start watching a recording.

Can you test it by starting to record 4 different things on your Roamio (with the Mini off or in Standby or whatever the correct term is), then attempt to start watching a recorded show using the Mini?

If that really does work, then that would definitely alleviate a lot of my concern.

Thanks again!
stuartv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
stuartv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You can get a Roamio plus for under. $350 right now.

If there are only two of you then you are really over-thinking this as far as tuner allocation goes even if u have the occasional guest.
I've had a DirecTV DVR for years. With the 2 of us, it is quite common to have the DVR recording 2 different things simultaneously, and not uncommon (in the past) for me to want to record a 3rd thing that overlaps with 2 others. So, I don't think I'm overdoing it to say that I want a setup where I can record at least 3 things while, at the same time, at least 2 people are wanting to watch different recorded content at the same time.

As I've said, if the Minis can watch recorded content without ever touching a tuner, then 4 tuners definitely should be enough for us. But, if a Mini has to have a tuner - even if it's just for 2 seconds - in order to let me get to recorded content, then that's a restriction that will probably bite us.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #35
mr_smits

Quote:
I've had a DirecTV DVR for years. With the 2 of us, it is quite common to have the DVR recording 2 different things simultaneously, and not uncommon (in the past) for me to want to record a 3rd thing that overlaps with 2 others. So, I don't think I'm overdoing it to say that I want a setup where I can record at least 3 things while, at the same time, at least 2 people are wanting to watch different recorded content at the same time.

As I've said, if the Minis can watch recorded content without ever touching a tuner, then 4 tuners definitely should be enough for us. But, if a Mini has to have a tuner - even if it's just for 2 seconds - in order to let me get to recorded content, then that's a restriction that will probably bite us.
I recommend getting a 6 tuner model and grabbing the integrated Stream capability.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
jmpage2

Quote:

The Mini doesn't use a tuner unless you are watching something with it. Two people wanting to watch different things is not an issue, you have 4 or six tuners.

I went from a four tuner Premiere Elite to a Roamio Plus. I have two Minis. I have never run out of tuners and there are times when I'm recording four or five shows at once.

You are over-thinking this. The solution, especially for two people works extremely well. I would be very surprised if you somehow found that it was not working to your satisfaction with such a small household.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
stuartv

jmpage2, thanks for that info.

In that case, it sounds like 4 tuners would be plenty for me. I don't foresee ever wanting to watch or record 5 or 6 things that are all on at the same time. Recording 3 things while watching something(s) that is already recorded is the most I've ever wanted to do, so it seems that a 4 tuner box would do everything I have ever wanted plus give me a tuner to spare.

In which case, why buy a 6-tuner model for more money versus a 4-tuner and a Stream? The latter would also give me OTA capability. I have several large eSATA drives laying around unused, so the extra storage on a 6-tuner model doesn't really do much for me.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I read the info about the Mini always grabbing a tuner in another thread here, but I'd have to go looking to find the link. That thread did even have some discussion of a desire for a "Recorded Only" mode, so you could watch while all tuners were otherwise occupied, and the folks in the thread all seemed to agree that that's how it works (i.e. the Mini grabs a tuner, no matter what).

As for the rest, I was considering a Roamio ($200) plus Stream ($130), instead of a Roamio Plus ($400). It would be cheaper and let me view OTA. And, like I said, if Minis could watch Recorded content even when all tuners are in use, I think 4 tuners would be plenty. It's just 2 of us in the house. But, we each have tablets, and we may end up with 5 or 6 TVs in the house (Master bedroom, main floor/TV room, basement, guest bedroom, her office, and/or my office). If the main unit is recording 2 programs, it would be nice for us to be able to have a guest over and still be able to let the guest watch whatever they want in their room while we're each watching recorded content in other rooms (e.g. late night viewing).

Oh, and the new house we're looking at has Ethernet to every jack plate that has coax, so no need for MoCA.
That was probably referenceing the XL4 before it had Dynamic Tuner Allocation like the Roamio line. Before DTA the mini would always tie up a tuner. With DTA, a tuner is only used by the Mini when you are watching live TV.

For me I've definitely run out of tuners. I have six concurrent recordings going on many times through out the week. But one of those porgrams being recorded is what I will want to watch on the Mini, so not having a tuner available is no issue in that situation.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #39
jmpage2

Quote:
jmpage2, thanks for that info.

In that case, it sounds like 4 tuners would be plenty for me. I don't foresee ever wanting to watch or record 5 or 6 things that are all on at the same time. Recording 3 things while watching something(s) that is already recorded is the most I've ever wanted to do, so it seems that a 4 tuner box would do everything I have ever wanted plus give me a tuner to spare.

In which case, why buy a 6-tuner model for more money versus a 4-tuner and a Stream? The latter would also give me OTA capability. I have several large eSATA drives laying around unused, so the extra storage on a 6-tuner model doesn't really do much for me.
If you really see the need for OTA (remember you can't use OTA and cable card at the same time) then sure, go for the 4 tuner box and the stream... I would argue for most users that the Plus is a much better buy, it is not much more expensive, has extra tuners, has better build quality, has integrated stream and MoCA and has double the storage.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #40
stuartv

I didn't know that I could not use OTA and CableCard at the same time. I ASSumed if I had both I could switch between them and see the channels from both in my Program Guide.

Thanks for that info!!

I would rather have the extra tuners, but I have to justify in my own mind the extra expense. You have definitely helped!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
jmpage2

Quote:
I didn't know that I could not use OTA and CableCard at the same time. I ASSumed if I had both I could switch between them and see the channels from both in my Program Guide.

Thanks for that info!!

I would rather have the extra tuners, but I have to justify in my own mind the extra expense. You have definitely helped!
I believe there was a deal going on where you could get a reseller to provide the Roamio Plus for $330. That's pretty similar to the price of the Roamio Basic + Stream and for me, it would seem to be a "no brainer". Check the deals thread in the Roamio forum, it might be worth your time.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #42
stuartv

Will do! Thanks again!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #43
DarcyM

Quote:
Thank you for testing that. I still have a question about it, though. The other thread implied that the Mini would grab a tuner when you start it up, then let it go when you start watching a recording.

Can you test it by starting to record 4 different things on your Roamio (with the Mini off or in Standby or whatever the correct term is), then attempt to start watching a recorded show using the Mini?

If that really does work, then that would definitely alleviate a lot of my concern.

Thanks again!
You can definitely record 4 programs on the Roamio (Basic) and watch a recorded program on the Mini. I have done it before, but I just tested it again for you to verify.
DarcyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
stuartv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
You can definitely record 4 programs on the Roamio (Basic) and watch a recorded program on the Mini. I have done it before, but I just tested it again for you to verify.
Thank you very much for checking that out!