TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #31
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by qw1qvpiybu View Post
?????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????100G?? ????????3??????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????!????????? ????...????????????????????????????????????Louis Vuitton 2001 SS " Conte de Fees "(????)?
?????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????

??1?100???????2????????????????????????????????????????????? ???3.8m?????????????????????????????????????http://www.originalcellularaccessory.com ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????3???????????????????????3???????

????? ????????25.5cm?????????????????????????????????????5cm?????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????? Studio???????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????2??????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

??????????????????????16???????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????http://www.actionairandelectric.com/...ries-id-6.html ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????65??????????????????110???????????????????????????????? ????????????????100??????145???????????????

???? ????????????? ??? ???????????????????????!! ????????????????? 1???????????? ???????(9?) ?????????HOTNEWS7??????????????? ???????? 1997.07.31??? 9? ???????????????????????????????????????(???) ??????HP?????????????? ?? ??????????????????????????17????????????? ?? 2006??????????????;?????????????? ????????????? ???????????????? ????????????????.????????????????...??????????!????????????? ??...??????????????????????????????????????
???? ????????????????????????????????!??????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????? JCAST???? ??? ????????????.?
? ????ios7.03????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????icloud??????????????????????Safari?????????????? ????????????????????...10?24? 13?14??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????11?16?18:30 20:30???????????????????????...10?23? 17?44?iphone5s??????????sim????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????4?????????????????? ?????

??????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????http://www.cherylsgone.com/categories-id-12.html ??? ???? ???????? ???? ???????????? ???????? ???? 0883422018???? ??:????? ??10? ??????????????319 ????? ??????(0) ????(0) ????(0) ???!(0) ??????????? ???????? ????????? ?? PC??? ???? ????????????????????????????????????????? >> ??????? ?????????? ???? ??? ????(0) ??(0) ?????????????????????????????? ???? ??(??) ?????? ?? ?7793403 ????????????319 TEL 0883422018 ????(?.?
Yeah, what he said!
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
I read the info about the Mini always grabbing a tuner in another thread here, but I'd have to go looking to find the link. That thread did even have some discussion of a desire for a "Recorded Only" mode, so you could watch while all tuners were otherwise occupied, and the folks in the thread all seemed to agree that that's how it works (i.e. the Mini grabs a tuner, no matter what).

As for the rest, I was considering a Roamio ($200) plus Stream ($130), instead of a Roamio Plus ($400). It would be cheaper and let me view OTA. And, like I said, if Minis could watch Recorded content even when all tuners are in use, I think 4 tuners would be plenty. It's just 2 of us in the house. But, we each have tablets, and we may end up with 5 or 6 TVs in the house (Master bedroom, main floor/TV room, basement, guest bedroom, her office, and/or my office). If the main unit is recording 2 programs, it would be nice for us to be able to have a guest over and still be able to let the guest watch whatever they want in their room while we're each watching recorded content in other rooms (e.g. late night viewing).

Oh, and the new house we're looking at has Ethernet to every jack plate that has coax, so no need for MoCA.

You can get a Roamio plus for under. $350 right now.

If there are only two of you then you are really over-thinking this as far as tuner allocation goes even if u have the occasional guest.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
stuartv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
That's not true, a Mini only grabs a tuner if you go to live tv. I just tested that to verify as I would really annoy me if it grabbed a tuner from my 4 tuner Roamio just to play a recording, but when it's playing the recording it still shows all 4 tuners avail.
Thank you for testing that. I still have a question about it, though. The other thread implied that the Mini would grab a tuner when you start it up, then let it go when you start watching a recording.

Can you test it by starting to record 4 different things on your Roamio (with the Mini off or in Standby or whatever the correct term is), then attempt to start watching a recorded show using the Mini?

If that really does work, then that would definitely alleviate a lot of my concern.

Thanks again!
stuartv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
stuartv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You can get a Roamio plus for under. $350 right now.

If there are only two of you then you are really over-thinking this as far as tuner allocation goes even if u have the occasional guest.
I've had a DirecTV DVR for years. With the 2 of us, it is quite common to have the DVR recording 2 different things simultaneously, and not uncommon (in the past) for me to want to record a 3rd thing that overlaps with 2 others. So, I don't think I'm overdoing it to say that I want a setup where I can record at least 3 things while, at the same time, at least 2 people are wanting to watch different recorded content at the same time.

As I've said, if the Minis can watch recorded content without ever touching a tuner, then 4 tuners definitely should be enough for us. But, if a Mini has to have a tuner - even if it's just for 2 seconds - in order to let me get to recorded content, then that's a restriction that will probably bite us.
stuartv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #35
mr_smits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
I've had a DirecTV DVR for years. With the 2 of us, it is quite common to have the DVR recording 2 different things simultaneously, and not uncommon (in the past) for me to want to record a 3rd thing that overlaps with 2 others. So, I don't think I'm overdoing it to say that I want a setup where I can record at least 3 things while, at the same time, at least 2 people are wanting to watch different recorded content at the same time.

As I've said, if the Minis can watch recorded content without ever touching a tuner, then 4 tuners definitely should be enough for us. But, if a Mini has to have a tuner - even if it's just for 2 seconds - in order to let me get to recorded content, then that's a restriction that will probably bite us.
I recommend getting a 6 tuner model and grabbing the integrated Stream capability.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
I've had a DirecTV DVR for years. With the 2 of us, it is quite common to have the DVR recording 2 different things simultaneously, and not uncommon (in the past) for me to want to record a 3rd thing that overlaps with 2 others. So, I don't think I'm overdoing it to say that I want a setup where I can record at least 3 things while, at the same time, at least 2 people are wanting to watch different recorded content at the same time.

As I've said, if the Minis can watch recorded content without ever touching a tuner, then 4 tuners definitely should be enough for us. But, if a Mini has to have a tuner - even if it's just for 2 seconds - in order to let me get to recorded content, then that's a restriction that will probably bite us.
The Mini doesn't use a tuner unless you are watching something with it. Two people wanting to watch different things is not an issue, you have 4 or six tuners.

I went from a four tuner Premiere Elite to a Roamio Plus. I have two Minis. I have never run out of tuners and there are times when I'm recording four or five shows at once.

You are over-thinking this. The solution, especially for two people works extremely well. I would be very surprised if you somehow found that it was not working to your satisfaction with such a small household.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
stuartv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
jmpage2, thanks for that info.

In that case, it sounds like 4 tuners would be plenty for me. I don't foresee ever wanting to watch or record 5 or 6 things that are all on at the same time. Recording 3 things while watching something(s) that is already recorded is the most I've ever wanted to do, so it seems that a 4 tuner box would do everything I have ever wanted plus give me a tuner to spare.

In which case, why buy a 6-tuner model for more money versus a 4-tuner and a Stream? The latter would also give me OTA capability. I have several large eSATA drives laying around unused, so the extra storage on a 6-tuner model doesn't really do much for me.
stuartv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
I read the info about the Mini always grabbing a tuner in another thread here, but I'd have to go looking to find the link. That thread did even have some discussion of a desire for a "Recorded Only" mode, so you could watch while all tuners were otherwise occupied, and the folks in the thread all seemed to agree that that's how it works (i.e. the Mini grabs a tuner, no matter what).

As for the rest, I was considering a Roamio ($200) plus Stream ($130), instead of a Roamio Plus ($400). It would be cheaper and let me view OTA. And, like I said, if Minis could watch Recorded content even when all tuners are in use, I think 4 tuners would be plenty. It's just 2 of us in the house. But, we each have tablets, and we may end up with 5 or 6 TVs in the house (Master bedroom, main floor/TV room, basement, guest bedroom, her office, and/or my office). If the main unit is recording 2 programs, it would be nice for us to be able to have a guest over and still be able to let the guest watch whatever they want in their room while we're each watching recorded content in other rooms (e.g. late night viewing).

Oh, and the new house we're looking at has Ethernet to every jack plate that has coax, so no need for MoCA.
That was probably referenceing the XL4 before it had Dynamic Tuner Allocation like the Roamio line. Before DTA the mini would always tie up a tuner. With DTA, a tuner is only used by the Mini when you are watching live TV.

For me I've definitely run out of tuners. I have six concurrent recordings going on many times through out the week. But one of those porgrams being recorded is what I will want to watch on the Mini, so not having a tuner available is no issue in that situation.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #39
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
jmpage2, thanks for that info.

In that case, it sounds like 4 tuners would be plenty for me. I don't foresee ever wanting to watch or record 5 or 6 things that are all on at the same time. Recording 3 things while watching something(s) that is already recorded is the most I've ever wanted to do, so it seems that a 4 tuner box would do everything I have ever wanted plus give me a tuner to spare.

In which case, why buy a 6-tuner model for more money versus a 4-tuner and a Stream? The latter would also give me OTA capability. I have several large eSATA drives laying around unused, so the extra storage on a 6-tuner model doesn't really do much for me.
If you really see the need for OTA (remember you can't use OTA and cable card at the same time) then sure, go for the 4 tuner box and the stream... I would argue for most users that the Plus is a much better buy, it is not much more expensive, has extra tuners, has better build quality, has integrated stream and MoCA and has double the storage.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #40
stuartv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
I didn't know that I could not use OTA and CableCard at the same time. I ASSumed if I had both I could switch between them and see the channels from both in my Program Guide.

Thanks for that info!!

I would rather have the extra tuners, but I have to justify in my own mind the extra expense. You have definitely helped!
stuartv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #41
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
I didn't know that I could not use OTA and CableCard at the same time. I ASSumed if I had both I could switch between them and see the channels from both in my Program Guide.

Thanks for that info!!

I would rather have the extra tuners, but I have to justify in my own mind the extra expense. You have definitely helped!
I believe there was a deal going on where you could get a reseller to provide the Roamio Plus for $330. That's pretty similar to the price of the Roamio Basic + Stream and for me, it would seem to be a "no brainer". Check the deals thread in the Roamio forum, it might be worth your time.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #42
stuartv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Will do! Thanks again!
stuartv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #43
DarcyM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
Thank you for testing that. I still have a question about it, though. The other thread implied that the Mini would grab a tuner when you start it up, then let it go when you start watching a recording.

Can you test it by starting to record 4 different things on your Roamio (with the Mini off or in Standby or whatever the correct term is), then attempt to start watching a recorded show using the Mini?

If that really does work, then that would definitely alleviate a lot of my concern.

Thanks again!
You can definitely record 4 programs on the Roamio (Basic) and watch a recorded program on the Mini. I have done it before, but I just tested it again for you to verify.
DarcyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
stuartv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarcyM View Post
You can definitely record 4 programs on the Roamio (Basic) and watch a recorded program on the Mini. I have done it before, but I just tested it again for you to verify.
Thank you very much for checking that out!
stuartv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |