TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #121
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Hmm. After having absolutely no problems since getting the Roamio, I've suddenly started having the black screen issue tuner failure repeatedly in the last 3-4 days or so. I wish I knew if someone pushed an update out to tell if that was the culprit or not.
IIRC, when I reported this issue to the TWC Nat'l Cable Card support people a few weeks ago they said someone in your market had also reported this issue. I doubt TWC would have been able to verify the Cisco firmware update on their network already, but who knows. If you post your Tuning Adapter firmware version I'm sure someone can chime in if it looks "new".
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #122
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Hmm. After having absolutely no problems since getting the Roamio, I've suddenly started having the black screen issue tuner failure repeatedly in the last 3-4 days or so. I wish I knew if someone pushed an update out to tell if that was the culprit or not.
I can answer that question...nope. The fix was just sent from Cisco within the recent past so it will be a bit. The issue however is random. Sometimes you have the problem sometimes you don't. One minute you can tune to specifc channel then tune off and return 5 minutes later and pffft it's gone so it doesn't surprise me in the least that you had no problems up until now. Flip side of that is there are some where it's constant no matter what you do...this is the odd thing about this whole mess.
BHNtechXpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #123
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHNtechXpert View Post
Oh good we can bash Sam together then Oh wait he has all my contact info including home phone and cell....can I take that back lol

Actually lives very close to me and knows I'm here for you guys anytime, anywhere. I have worked with Sam for YEARS!
Hi Gary,

As always, I appreciate the candor! I continue to have infrequent issues with the latest Roamio update but they are not nearly as problematic as they were before TiVo updated the Roamio software to address the TA instability -- probably added the fixes that were already present in the Premiere software baseline.

~Sam
sbiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #124
Teeps

Quote:
You made several assumptions that just aren't correct. First of all the issue has to be identified then validated with the impacted vendor(s). Remember this isn't impacting other 3rd party vendors just Tivo. Once an issue has been validated with xyz product MSO's are totally reliant on the MFR to fix their product (which in this case was Cisco). Cisco then fixes whatever the issue may be and releases the fix to the impacted MSO's.

From there the fix has to be validated in our labs to make sure that (1) it actually solves the problem (2) won't introduce new possibly worse issues (3) won't negatively impact our systems, operations and other customers. TWC like us has a process by which we follow for this and there's reason why things take as long as they do. Lots of things need to be tested and this isn't the only thing we're working on right now..lots of fish to fry.

For what its worth this issue was fasttracked but there is a limit to which no MSO will cross when it comes to validations. We and I'm sure TWC will not release something until we're comfortable that this is going to be a minimal impact upgrade.

The better solution to this is the next time Tivo identifies a problem they come to me to directly (not through their customers) and I will engage all necesary parties so that we're all on the same page and working together without a delay.

We have the code from Cisco and are working as fast as possible to get it out to you guys. In the meantime I encourage you to reach out to me in our direct forums at DSLR and I will gather your info and keep you updated along the way.

But to be clear neither ourselves or TWC are dragging our feet on this...it isn't as if we weren't already involved in other things that have equal or higher priority because of impact. This was preventable from the start with a little bit of communication from Tivo.

If I sound a bit irritated it's because I am. We have worked extremely hard to ensure a seamless experience for our Tivo customers and this should have been addressed company to company and not through our mutual customers. We know how to communicate with each other and what needs to be done to investigate these types of things. Customers should not be asked to call their providers and insist on tickets being submitted especially when they have my contact information already and have for quite some time.
You are correct "this was preventable", had the cable companies chose to NOT use SDV.
Never had these problems before SDV was foisted upon us.

As far as "other impacts" I do understand about the dealing with the biggest fire first. But in this case, IMO, there should have never been the ignition point caused by SDV.

Finally this is not personal BHNtechXpert, I (we) do appreciate your involvement here and the work you are doing. I fully recognize that "IT'S" not YOUR fault.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #125
BHNtechXpert

BRIGHT HOUSE NETWORKS TIVO CUSTOMERS - who currently have 4 or 6 tuner units including Roamio units. I need you to contact me https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/bhousedirect as we are getting close and I will need several volunteers. When you post there use the subject heading "Tivo Issue" and be sure to include your modem MAC address so I can pull your account information. When I'm ready to proceed I will respond to your post.

Thank you,

Gary
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #126
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
You are correct "this was preventable", had the cable companies chose to NOT use SDV.
Never had these problems before SDV was foisted upon us.

As far as "other impacts" I do understand about the dealing with the biggest fire first. But in this case, IMO, there should have never been the ignition point caused by SDV.

Finally this is not personal BHNtechXpert, I (we) do appreciate your involvement here and the work you are doing. I fully recognize that "IT'S" not YOUR fault.
It isn't OUR fault period meaning this issue, this has been well established already. We however are doing what we need to do to help bring resolution to it. As for the SDV comment....SDV was brought to be to effectively manage the ever increasing customer desire for more and more content. It is no mistake that we have the largest HD offering in the industry....hands down and SDV has played a significant role in making that possible. While it does complicate things a bit technically we have worked around most of those issues so that generally speaking the experience is seamless for everyone. Is everyone happy with the solutions...nope...we can't please everyone, everytime all we can do is our best effort.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #127
HarperVision

I just went through my entire lineup on my Roamio after realizing that oceanic TWC just started doing the auto tune of the HD channel when you select the SD digital version. It was then that I really realized the extent of the tuning and black screen errors of this thing. I can't believe how much this thing fails to tune channels, and I don't even mean only SDV ones! It did it with many normal channels like CNN. I immediately thought of this thread so I went to my living room where a mini is installed and I went through the lineup one channel at a time again and it tuned every channel!

I'm so sick and tired of TiVo blaming the tuning adapter, Cablecard, signal, etc! This once again proves it is TIVO at fault here, plain and simple, case closed.

If the new software update doesn't happen by Friday and fix this after months of BS, then I'm out for good.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #128
BHNtechXpert

Bright House Florida customers heads up: We will be updating your Tuning Adapters after midnight tonight. During the update expect the usual Tivo messages and inability to tune channels. Post update if you have any questions or problems reach out to me here or here https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/bhousedirect

Once again I encourage Tivo to reach out to us directly next time they encounter issues that may be mutually impacting instead of asking their customers to contact us on their own. Working together we can investigate and resolve these things far more efficiently and avoid situations where our mutual customers are caught in the middle.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #129
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I just went through my entire lineup on my Roamio after realizing that oceanic TWC just started doing the auto tune of the HD channel when you select the SD digital version. It was then that I really realized the extent of the tuning and black screen errors of this thing. I can't believe how much this thing fails to tune channels, and I don't even mean only SDV ones! It did it with many normal channels like CNN. I immediately thought of this thread so I went to my living room where a mini is installed and I went through the lineup one channel at a time again and it tuned every channel!

I'm so sick and tired of TiVo blaming the tuning adapter, Cablecard, signal, etc! This once again proves it is TIVO at fault here, plain and simple, case closed.

If the new software update doesn't happen by Friday and fix this after months of BS, then I'm out for good.
You probably shouldn't expect a magic bullet from Friday's release. Its seems like they're letting Cisco own this issue. Hopefully the firmware fix BHN pushes tonight will resolve the tuning issue here; I also get failures on non-SDV too.

Btw, have you tried contacting TWC @ https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

Based on BHNtechXpert's comments, I'd assume TWC engineering is also in the mix. Maybe their forum guys will have a target date for you.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #130
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
You probably shouldn't expect a magic bullet from Friday's release. Its seems like they're letting Cisco own this issue. Hopefully the firmware fix BHN pushes tonight will resolve the tuning issue here; I also get failures on non-SDV too.

Btw, have you tried contacting TWC @ https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

Based on BHNtechXpert's comments, I'd assume TWC engineering is also in the mix. Maybe their forum guys will have a target date for you.
No TWC is not involved. We are two entirely different companies and march entirely to different drummers. We however are updating the Tuning Adapters tonight. As for TWC no clue.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #131
jwbelcher

Quote:
No TWC is not involved. We are two entirely different companies and march entirely to different drummers. We however are updating the Tuning Adapters tonight. As for TWC no clue.
Okay. Didn't know from a "technology" perspective or if Cisco may have alerted them. Guess I'm done making assumptions. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #132
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Okay. Didn't know from a "technology" perspective or if Cisco may have alerted them. Guess I'm done making assumptions. Thanks for chiming in.
The mistake is common....just because we partner for programming and SOME technology the relationship ends there. We do our thing...they do theirs and from time to time our paths do cross but no assumptions should be made there. TWC is a public company we are private.

The assumption is that Cisco shared the fix with all providers who use SDV technology. What they do with it beyond that is their business. I can speak only of what we're doing tonight.

Last edited by BHNtechXpert : 12-13-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #133
BHNtechXpert

I can confirm folks are receiving the update as I type this Looking forward to your feedback.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #134
HarperVision

Quote:
You probably shouldn't expect a magic bullet from Friday's release. Its seems like they're letting Cisco own this issue. Hopefully the firmware fix BHN pushes tonight will resolve the tuning issue here; I also get failures on non-SDV too. Btw, have you tried contacting TWC @ https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect Based on BHNtechXpert's comments, I'd assume TWC engineering is also in the mix. Maybe their forum guys will have a target date for you.
I was told by Margret to have patience and that this update contains fixes for the tuning issues similar to how Ceton does it with their six tuner devices (by sending multiple tune requests).

My patience is EXTREMELY thin after tonight missing The Big Bang Theory due to "No Signal". Needless to say with the family sitting there with their pizza plates full of slices ready to watch our Thursday ritual show, TiVo disappoints and pisses off again. Luckily CBS on PlayOn saved the day. We may as well cut the cord and save money if this is how its going to be. I have a Simple.TV sitting right here. Just pickup a couple of Rokus and I'm all set.

We NEVER once experienced this with DirecTV, even during tropical storms that caused a couple tsunamis!!!

Last edited by HarperVision : 12-13-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #135
HarperVision

Quote:
.......As for TWC no clue.
Oh, so just like Time Warner and TiVo then, huh?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #136
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Bright House Florida customers heads up: We will be updating your Tuning Adapters after midnight tonight. During the update expect the usual Tivo messages and inability to tune channels. Post update if you have any questions or problems reach out to me here or here https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/bhousedirect

Once again I encourage Tivo to reach out to us directly next time they encounter issues that may be mutually impacting instead of asking their customers to contact us on their own. Working together we can investigate and resolve these things far more efficiently and avoid situations where our mutual customers are caught in the middle.
Can you tell us the new Cisco TA firmware version# so that the rest of us can bug our providers.

FWIW: I received SW update 20.3.8 on my Roamio Pro tonight and was immediately presented with this issue, again, so the TiVo update alone is not enough, rebooting the TA every few days seems to help quite a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 12-13-2013 at 03:29 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #137
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Can you tell us the new Cisco TA firmware version# so that the rest of us can bug our providers.
+1 That information would be very helpful, so we know what to ask our providers for. Thanks in advance, BHNtechXpert!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #138
sbiller

Quote:
My BHN Tampa TA was updated during the night. I woke up to the TA Attached screen on my Roamio Pro.

Cisco firmware versions:
Cablecard : PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601
Tuning Adapter: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
Software Versions
PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGP OS
Tuning Adapter: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a203

I'm watching an SDV channel as I type.
sbiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #139
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
+1 That information would be very helpful, so we know what to ask our providers for. Thanks in advance, BHNtechXpert!
Cox Cisco customers post your request here:

Request for New Cisco SDV Tuning Adapter Firmware:
http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_.../4/t/3280.aspx

And Here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r288...apter-Firmware

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #140
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Cox Cisco customers post your request here:

Request for New Cisco SDV Tuning Adapter Firmware:
http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_.../4/t/3280.aspx

And Here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r288...apter-Firmware
I'd recommend giving the BHN customers a few days to report their experience after the FW update. I had some weird behavior on my TivoHD right after it was pushed out (2 am). Its settled down this morning, so maybe there was other stuff going on last night. Needless to say, I got nervous about compatibility in the HD. I was planning to talk to my buddy over in Melbourne that runs WMC w/ Ceton and see how he's doing today.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #141
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I'd recommend giving the BHN customers a few days to report their experience after the FW update. I had some weird behavior on my TivoHD right after it was pushed out (2 am). Its settled down this morning, so maybe there was other stuff going on last night. Needless to say, I got nervous about compatibility in the HD. I was planning to talk to my buddy over in Melbourne that runs WMC w/ Ceton and see how he's doing today.
Ah, yes, the old "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it", and "Be careful what you ask for, you may regret it" conundrum...

A very good point, indeed. I'd rather let some other people test it before I start pestering Cox about it...

The most recent updates for Roamios & Premieres are supposed to have a workaround, that will try multiple re-tunes, from what I've heard around here.

I'd want to see how that workaround works, doesn't work, or both, and get a feel for things before & after whatever TiVo has done to deal with the known issues, before I change another variable factor.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #142
ToddD

Quote:
I'm not the buddy in question, but I do live in Melbourne and run WMC w/ Ceton! My TA locked up Sunday night and killed all of my recordings for Monday daytime and I was forced to reboot everything, so as to not miss Monday nights recordings. Today, I saw a post over on AVS that linked here about BH pushing a new FW to the TA. So I went to my TA screen in the Ceton Manager and found that my TA was locked up again. Another full Reboot.Good News- I have the new FW. Bad news- the TA is the source of trouble just as always. Unlike TiVo users we (MCE) have 3 things to reboot....I have to agree with HarperVision, I NEVER had any problems with my DirecTV. They are offering major discounts to come back. I'm thinking very hard on it. So that's how we are doing over in Melbourne....
ToddD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #143
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddD View Post
I'm not the buddy in question, but I do live in Melbourne and run WMC w/ Ceton! My TA locked up Sunday night and killed all of my recordings for Monday daytime and I was forced to reboot everything, so as to not miss Monday nights recordings. Today, I saw a post over on AVS that linked here about BH pushing a new FW to the TA. So I went to my TA screen in the Ceton Manager and found that my TA was locked up again. Another full Reboot.Good News- I have the new FW. Bad news- the TA is the source of trouble just as always. Unlike TiVo users we (MCE) have 3 things to reboot....I have to agree with HarperVision, I NEVER had any problems with my DirecTV. They are offering major discounts to come back. I'm thinking very hard on it. So that's how we are doing over in Melbourne....
Your TA locking up has nothing to do with this issue. If it is truly locking up as you state this is either a defective TA or a signal issue where we have lost two both fixable. As for your DirecTV statement you are comparing Apples to Artichokes...with DirecTV you have one tuner and that is it. With cable and cable card you have many tuners up to the limit of your specific Tivo or Ceton device. I get it you don't like tuning adapters...nearly as much as I don't like misinformation
Old 12-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #144
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Oh, so just like Time Warner and TiVo then, huh?
Ouch.... in fairness I think every company regardless of who they are have opportunities for improvement. What sets one company apart from another is their willingness to embrace those opportunities as they uncovered.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #145
HarperVision

Quote:
Your TA locking up has nothing to do with this issue. If it is truly locking up as you state this is either a defective TA or a signal issue where we have lost two both fixable. As for your DirecTV statement you are comparing Apples to Artichokes...with DirecTV you have one tuner and that is it. With cable and cable card you have many tuners up to the limit of your specific Tivo or Ceton device. I get it you don't like tuning adapters...nearly as much as I don't like misinformation
You mean the same misinformation you just posted about directv? To clarify, their Genie DVR (both versions) has 5 tuners and in a normal residential home you can usually have up to 16 tuners going at any one time (SWM16 system with the possibility of even more with dual SWM16) PLUS have numerous genie clients that don't add to the tuner count with the ability to have 3 active at a time. They borrow a tuner from the genie, same as a TiVo mini does with a premiere4/Roamio.

And yes, sometimes flashing new firmware and/or software onto existing hardware CAN make it lock up, glitch, break, etc. It happens all the time, so I can't see as that is "misinformation" at all.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #146
HarperVision

Quote:
Ouch.... in fairness I think every company regardless of who they are have opportunities for improvement. What sets one company apart from another is their willingness to embrace those opportunities as they uncovered.
Agreed, but that's exactly what I'm taking about. They're not willing to open up and see the big picture and always seem to treat the end user like they're idiots with a condescending tone and manner, always blaming them, the other company's hardware or software, etc.

I will guarantee you I know more about cablecards and TAs (and that's not saying much really) than every person I have spoken to in my local Oceanic TWC system, including the supervisors and lead tech that came to my house to prove ME wrong, but in fact the opposite happened.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #147
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
You mean the same misinformation you just posted about directv? To clarify, their Genie DVR (both versions) has 5 tuners and in a normal residential home you can usually have up to 16 tuners going at any one time (SWM16 system with the possibility of even more with dual SWM16) PLUS have numerous genie clients that don't add to the tuner count with the ability to have 3 active at a time. They borrow a tuner from the genie, same as a TiVo mini does with a premiere4/Roamio.

And yes, sometimes flashing new firmware and/or software onto existing hardware CAN make it lock up, glitch, break, etc. It happens all the time, so I can't see as that is "misinformation" at all.
We aren't talking about the Genie DVR ....you were talking about Tivo and Ceton...NOT Genie. I'm fully aware of what the Genie can do and of the available hardware,. If however you want to connect a Tivo or Ceton it will be one tuner period.

And no the firmware update didn't lock up your TA. First of all it didn't happen on Sunday it happened last night for Bright House customers (have no clue when or if TWC plans to release it) and the only reason your TA locked last night is probably the same reason it locked on Sunday totally unrelated to any update. What you need to do is call your local office and have them look at historical data for that device and two way connectivity and see if there was and detected loss of said connectivity on our around the time the device is alleged to have locked up. They have access to the same or similar tools I do and this is a no brainer. They should be able to tell you within about a 5 day history window perhaps longer. They can also put you on constant monitoring which is sure to catch it provided the disconnect duration is greater than about 3 minutes.

Last edited by BHNtechXpert : 12-14-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #148
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Agreed, but that's exactly what I'm taking about. They're not willing to open up and see the big picture and always seem to treat the end user like they're idiots with a condescending tone and manner, always blaming them, the other company's hardware or software, etc.

I will guarantee you I know more about cablecards and TAs (and that's not saying much really) than every person I have spoken to in my local Oceanic TWC system, including the supervisors and lead tech that came to my house to prove ME wrong, but in fact the opposite happened.
Okay so you are TWC's customer...we are not TWC and I promise you I know more about this equipment than you do. You sit there and say they treat you like you're an idiot....my hunch is just in two encounters with you that you treated them the same way...you made assumptions that every rep is an idiot and has no clue and you didn't let them do their job opting instead to argue with them and give them a hard time. Humans tend to react negatively to that kind of treatment even those tasked with tolerating it and acting above it the best they can which is what a rep does. Next time you work with them give them a break and let them do their job. You might be surprised at the extent they will go to help you....verses the other approach which is just to get you off the phone as quickly as they can. They are after all humans and have already dealt with 80 others just like you. My best advice.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #149
HarperVision

Quote:
We aren't talking about the Genie DVR ....you were talking about Tivo and Ceton...NOT Genie. I'm fully aware of what the Genie can do and of the available hardware,. If however you want to connect a Tivo or Ceton it will be one tuner period. And no the firmware update didn't lock up your TA. First of all it didn't happen on Sunday it happened last night for Bright House customers (have no clue when or if TWC plans to release it) and the only reason your TA locked last night is probably the same reason it locked on Sunday totally unrelated to any update. What you need to do is call your local office and have them look at historical data for that device and two way connectivity and see if there was and detected loss of said connectivity on our around the time the device is alleged to have locked up. They have access to the same or similar tools I do and this is a no brainer. They should be able to tell you within about a 5 day history window perhaps longer. They can also put you on constant monitoring which is sure to catch it provided the disconnect duration is greater than about 3 minutes.
Who said ToddD and I weren't talking about the DirecTV Genie DVR??? I know I was and then he agreed with me that we never had issues with it. We were comparing DirecTV's DVR service with the TiVo and Ceton cable DVR solutions. You're the one who isn't following along here and stated that DirecTV only has one tuner.

I never even mentioned anything about my TA locking up either, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from too?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #150
BHNtechXpert

Quote:
Who said ToddD and I weren't talking about the DirecTV Genie DVR??? I know I was and then he agreed with me that we never had issues with it. We were comparing DirecTV's DVR service with the TiVo and Ceton cable DVR solutions. You're the one who isn't following along here and stated that DirecTV only has one tuner.

I never even mentioned anything about my TA locking up either, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from too?
Todd Did....

Originally Posted by ToddD

-------------