TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
dmkw

How do I setup my LAN for MoCA?

My Roamio Plus arrived yesterday and I'd like to get MoCA setup on my LAN, but I can't figure out where to put the Actiontec adapters. I'm currently using Wifi for my Apple devices, but I also want to have a small LAN in the Office. The Roamio will replace the TWC DVR in the TV room once the Cable card arrives.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.2 KB, 41 views)
dmkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Icarus

it's not clear from the diagram, but the moca adapter needs to be in a place where you have both ethernet and cable. Is that the office in your diagram?

Since the roamio plus has moca built in, if there's ethernet and cable in the tv room you won't need the moca adapter. Just connect ethernet and the cable to the roamio plus and select "create a moca network".

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
dmkw

Neither the office or the TV room have Ethernet. I know that the office will require an adapter as there is a wired only PC in there which I want to connect to the internet. What I can't figure out is at what point does the first adapter need to connect to the coax cable? Everything in the diagram is in the basement, then the coax cables go out to the locations in the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (102.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
dmkw

Another image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
dmkw

Another image of basement equipment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
sheshechic

No Moca adapter needed, just plug in the coax and set up tivo to use moca as connection.
sheshechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
BigJimOutlaw

Usually the cable modem and router are in the same room (which appears to be the case in the center split of the diagram). The primary moca adapter should go there, and connect it as shown in the diagram below...

Then any additional adapters can go wherever they are needed (the tivo itself won't need one).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 12-13-2013 at 04:18 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkw View Post
Neither the office or the TV room have Ethernet. I know that the office will require an adapter as there is a wired only PC in there which I want to connect to the internet. What I can't figure out is at what point does the first adapter need to connect to the coax cable? Everything in the diagram is in the basement, then the coax cables go out to the locations in the house.
If I understand it correctly the modem and router are in the basement along with those splitters?

Set it up in the basement, ethernet off the router into the moca adapter, which connects to the inside side of any splitter.

Though from the images, it doesn't appear any of your splitters are powered, so you can connect as in the diagram above. "To cable outlet" is the cable currently going into the cable modem. Once that's working, the roamios and other adapters should see and be able to join that moca network.

Don't forget the POE filter, above the first splitter in your first diagram.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 12-14-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote