TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
mjcxp

Google Cast Support

Does the Tivo Roamio support google cast? I am able to cast youtube videos from my iPhone or my Macbook Pro after entering the code at youtube.com/pair. But when I try to cast a tab in chrome the Tivo is not listed as a cast device. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.
mjcxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
moyekj

Yes, for YouTube & Netflix iOS Apps I can choose to play on my Roamio Pro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcxp View Post
Does the Tivo Roamio support google cast? I am able to cast youtube videos from my iPhone or my Macbook Pro after entering the code at youtube.com/pair. But when I try to cast a tab in chrome the Tivo is not listed as a cast device. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes, for YouTube & Netflix iOS Apps I can choose to play on my Roamio Pro.
He's asking about Tab Casting... unfortunately, that is a Google Exclusive extension to the DIAL protocol that requires a ChromeCast device. The only two apps that support the Casting feature are Netflix and YouTube on iOS and Android.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
mjcxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
He's asking about Tab Casting... unfortunately, that is a Google Exclusive extension to the DIAL protocol that requires a ChromeCast device. The only two apps that support the Casting feature are Netflix and YouTube on iOS and Android.
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully Tivo will implement this feature in a future update.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
rainwater

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully Tivo will implement this feature in a future update.
That will most likely never be possible. While DIAL is open, the Google Cast implementation is not. So more apps could support DIAL on the TiVo but it will require an HTML5 app installed on the TiVo that is DIAL compatible.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
mjcxp

So Google would need to develop a chrome type app for Tivo for this to work? I doubt Google would waste their resources to develop this type of app for such a small client base.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Philmatic

Quote:
So Google would need to develop a chrome type app for Tivo for this to work? I doubt Google would waste their resources to develop this type of app for such a small client base.
Yes, or let TiVo develop it.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
It wouldn't be that difficult to simulate. They're basically just capturing the screen to an H.264 video and then playing it via HTML5 video player. Moyekj has already shown via kmttg that you van create a simple HTML page to play a local video, so TiVo could write their own extension to capture the screen to video and then play that back. The biggest issue would be the codec licensing. I wonder if we could do this as a community project using FFmpeg?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
mike-d

Question DIAL Support on Roamio?

My roamio showed up as a cast device on my ipad youtube app, for a while. Now it does not show up. I have re-booted everything. How can I get it back? When I call TIVO, there is a 90% chance the support rep has never heard of DIAL, Casting, etc... Can anyone assist? thx
mike-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
GrillMouster

Is anyone else able to cast Netflix to their TiVo from the Netflix player within the Chrome desktop browser? Just for clarification, I am NOT talking about tab casting (which is an feature that's accessible from the Google Cast icon that's in the upper right-hand corner of the browser's navigation bar). I'm talking about the Chromecast button that appears in the lower right-hand corner of the Netflix video player, next to the other Netflix player controls.

I'm able to cast Netflix to both my TiVo and TiVo mini from the Netflix app on both my phone and my tablet. However, neither of the TiVo units appear when I attempt to cast from the Netflix player in the desktop browser, as I described above. The only device that appears on the desktop Netflix player is the official Chromecast dongle.

What's strange is that I can cast YouTube from the desktop player to both TiVo units, so the TiVo units are definitely recognized on the network.
GrillMouster is offline   Reply With Quote