TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
moon_tower

Has anyone seen anything about adding markets for Xfinity VOD?

I did a few searches and did not find anything. Is there any news about taking this to other markets? What are the limitations for them? Thanks!
moon_tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
tomhorsley

I suspect comcast found that it cost them X dollars to implement VOD support and in their test markets they got Y dollars of extra VOD income from TiVo users and when the bean counters compared X and Y they found it would take 37,329 years to pay for itself if rolled out nationally :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i suspect they found that if tivo users were able to access comcast vod with tivo, there would be one less reason anyone would want their sub-standard dvr equipment, and they might lose x amount of rental fees.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
tturner23

Yup, the Comcast VOD roll out has completely stalled. I'll tweet at Margret Schmidt every now and again regarding this and she says that there are no new roll outs planned and that Comcast VOD depends solely on my local Comcast office's decision to make it happen. I've talked to Comcast and they said they don't have the ability to make VOD work on TiVo's. If I had to guess its part miscommunication on TiVo's part and part laziness on Comcasts part. In reality, its probably not laziness on Comcast's part, its that there is no upside to making VOD work for TiVo customers since, in their eyes, we chose to use TiVo (and pay TiVo monthly or lifetime) rather than use a Comcast box (and pay Comcast). Its sad.

I just want VOD in Baltimore.
tturner23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

IIRC it required a pretty major upgrade to the head end. I'm betting this was a cost/benefit thing and they decided it wasn't worth it. Especially since the technology is changing and they may eventually switchover to an IP based VOD system instead.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F

Comcast said a few months back (sorry, no link) that they had ended the TiVo/VOD venture. No new markets beyond the existing ones.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
kbmb

Maybe a heartbeat......

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/...emand-rollout/

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Great news!
Quote:
After about a 6 month hiatus, Comcast and TiVo are once again expanding Xfinity On Demand services into new regions - Arkansas and Kentucky, to be specific. While we’re not entirely clear on the nature of the pause and had assumed the pair were evaluating perhaps a more efficiently implemented over-the-top app, as seen via Xbox and iPad, it sounds as if the original tech is still play. (Not to mention it’s Comcast’s ongoing partnership with TiVo that has spared them a DVR patent infringement lawsuit and licensing arrangement.) Irrespective of the back story and infrastructure, On Demand services are a big win for joint subscribers of both companies. And one that Cox customers may soon also enjoy.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote