TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #241
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I haven't had that problem. It doesn't look any darker than normal, to me, except when the guide or voice command is up.
Do you have your TV already set in PC (full) white like I do? Many TVs don't allow that, but my Pioneer does - so it would make it that much darker with an extra setting on it.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #242
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
did you read the the sentence? It works when controlling recordings, but you can't get TO them. I.E. the Tivo Central show listing.
I read it. Your post wasn't clear. You wrote "and you can't control the Tivo other than when it's in Live TV mode." Except you *can* control the TiVo when it's in playback of recorded show mode -- you can control it with the same play/pause/skip commands.

Your point about not being able to navigate TO and within "TiVo Central," of course, stands.

The confusion stems from the fact that some folks have reported an inability to use voice commands (like "pause") when they're in Live TV mode. They're getting errors on screen that say "Can't 'Pause' From Here." I am not sure what's wrong with their setup, and why such a distinction should matter, but as designed, the user should have such basic transport control regardless of what they've chosen to watch.

The takeaway from all of this, to me, is that once it's set up properly (identifying the proper DVR/cablebox name, etc.) Kinekt on Xbox One is able to respond to voice commands for pausing/playing/FF/RW TiVo, whether what you're watching is live or not. But it's only just those basic commands (and channel changing.) So any command beyond that, like navigation to TiVo Central, to choose/playback recorded shows (or set up new recordings) would still need the TiVo (or other universal) remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #243
b_scott
TiVo Fan

agreed. it'd be nice to add extra functions/buttons available to speak, but in the end it's probably easier just to use a remote unless all you want to do is navigate live TV

to me the benefits are snapping TV shows, and getting notifications from Xbox friends while watching my Tivo.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #244
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
The confusion stems from the fact that some folks have reported an inability to use voice commands (like "pause") when they're in Live TV mode. They're getting errors on screen that say "Can't 'Pause' From Here." I am not sure what's wrong with their setup, and why such a distinction should matter, but as designed, the user should have such basic transport control regardless of what they've chosen to watch.
I don't know how much credence I'd give those reports. The console can have no awareness that you're watching a recording since you can't use it to start doing that. Perhaps they tried to pause while OneGuide was up. I played with it briefly before deciding that I didn't care to use it and it never refused to pause live TV.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #245
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I don't know how much credence I'd give those reports. The console can have no awareness that you're watching a recording since you can't use it to start doing that. Perhaps they tried to pause while OneGuide was up. I played with it briefly before deciding that I didn't care to use it and it never refused to pause live TV.
I agree, just passing along what I've read, from folks I consider intelligent. The reports are in the Xbox One thread here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
By the way, I'm all-in on having my xbox on all the time now. It's completely silent, so that's not a problem. When I say "Xbox, watch TV" the TV comes up full screen and I forget that I'm using the xbox at all. 30 minutes into a show sometimes I say "Xbox" just to see it come up, then "stop listening" to go back to my show without that icon in the upper right corner.

At any point I can say "xbox, go to netflix".. I will never use TiVo's netflix option again (I have a Series 3).

So someone earlier said that they were actually able to have "Xbox, pause" cause their TiVo to pause?? Did you have to do something to get that to work? I asked my wife to try it while I was at work today, and she said that it said:

CAN'T "PAUSE" FROM HERE

That would have been sweet.. If it really is working for you, how'd you get it to work? I didn't get to tell it what cable box or satellite dish I had because I don't - I just have my Series 3 HD TiVo.. (I even tried entering "tivo" for the brand and it didn't know what I was talking about).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
How'd you do that? Did you set the TiVo up somehow in some menu? I had my wife try this on our Series 3 and it didn't work.. it said:

CAN'T "PAUSE" FROM HERE

?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #246
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I just tried it again and it pauses my Roamio on command while watching live TV. It can rewind and fast forward and skip back and forward in the trick play buffer on command. It's annoyingly "laggy", one of several reasons why I don't use it.

Perhaps there's something wrong with its Series3 device definition.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #247
b_scott
TiVo Fan

usually Can't Pause From Here means you have something snapped that has focus, or your TV input is snapped without focus. To gain focus, say Xbox Switch, or double tap the Xbox glowing button on your controller
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #248
Grakthis

Quote:
Do you have your TV already set in PC (full) white like I do? Many TVs don't allow that, but my Pioneer does - so it would make it that much darker with an extra setting on it.
My TV has a handful of settings, I don't remember which one I have it set on. It allows me to use different settings for each input, and I had input 1 tuned for my TiVo and input 2 tuned for my Xbox 360. Of course, my Xbox One is now on input 1, but I didn't make any changes to it when I did that. I guess I can play with it.

I'm not a huge sound guy, but video wise, I think i would have noticed a difference. I mean, we're talking about a big TV here. 55''.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #249
Grakthis

Quote:
double tap the Xbox glowing button on your controller
Huh. I didn't know that one. I've been using the switch command.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #250
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

After using voice commands with the Xbox One I want to control everything that way. I turn it off and want to say, "AVR, go to PC" or "AVR, go to TiVo". One of these days... . There are already some TVs out there with cameras for gestural controls and microphones in their remotes for voice commands.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 03-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #251
csgraber

Tivo + Logitech + xbox one

I've got the xbox one on order. I love the idea of the passthrough (pretty cool) but truth is - I never watch live television.

I kind of think that for anything TV related, I would want to still use the TIVO Gui within the xbox passthrough.

Looking at my logitech remote (its the new hub, but without the ultimate) . . .you can't navigate both a tivo gui and the xbox gui at the same time.

Maybe hit "watch tv" and it sends the stuff to xbox to turn on go to tivo, but then turns control over to the TIVO?

Anyone deal with the same situation?
csgraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #252
Aero 1

Finally. The update for next week will add Dolby bitstreaming.

http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-ma...ital-28318911/

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #253
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Update came out on 3/1
Old 03-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #254
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

It came out today, 3/4. If you registered for the preview (I did) you got it early.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #255
b_scott
TiVo Fan

^ yup sorry, I was in the beta.