TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

S2 overheated, now won't display anything. Fixable?

I have a lifetimed S2 that was displaying a message about the DVR being shut down due to getting too hot.

So I unplugged it, opened it, and cleaned out the dust. It did seem like after cleaning it, the fan spins faster than it did before, so maybe the dust was slowing down the fan speed causing the overheating.

The problem is, when I try to power it on, I do hear the fan spinning, but there's no video, other than a faint white flicker that kind of scrolls down the screen. So no TiVo starting up screen or anything.

Does this mean the TiVo is dead, or might there be something else I can try?

My wife is worried about two things:

1) There are lots of shows on the HD she doesn't want to lose. I told her maybe the problem is with the motherboard, and maybe her shows can still be salvaged from the HD

2) Her To Do list has lots of stuff, that she would like to record, but right now, the TiVo no worky.

I'd love it if the TiVo can be saved, but if not, it'd be nice if my lifetime sub doesn't have to be forfeited. Years ago I lost an S1 due to motherboard problems, and I lucked out with customer service, as they let me as one-time favor, transfer my lifetime from it, to a TiVo HD. They did say "one time favor", so unlike a cat, I may not have two lives, let alone nine.

If I have to replace the TiVo, my wife did say she'd prefer an S2, and not a Premier or whatever's on the market these days, because Time Warner copyrights a heapload of her shows, preventing her from using HMO, but S2's seem to be exempt from this copywriting shenanigans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

I would suspect a power supply and they are easy to replace. You can probably get a similar TiVo for cheap on craigslist to take a power supply off of.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
timckelley
TCFer

I think I may still have my old S1 power supply. I wonder if its compatible with the S2. (My S2 is a single tuner model, by the way.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 12-08-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
timckelley
TCFer

By the way, if the power supply is bad, does it makes sense that when I turn it on, I can still see the fan spinning?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
timckelley
TCFer

By the way, here's my single tuner S2, alongside my spare extra S1 power supply I happen to have:

They don't look the same; the S2 one looks bigger, so I fear they may not be compatible.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
timckelley
TCFer

By the way, I found a fairly close by Craigslist ad for a free Tivo Series 2, 40 hr model. I wonder if all TiVo S2 power supplies are compatible. The fact that it's a 40 hr model makes me suspect it's compatible, because that sounds to me like the earlier models, which were single tuner, like mine is.

But the catch is, it's free because it doesn't work, and the owner has replaced it with a Romio. He says: "It starts the boot process, displays some of the Tivo screens, and then freezes on a screen saying "just a few minutes more." I replaced it with a Tivo Romio." He goes on to say he thinks it's a hard drive problem. If that's true, then maybe his power supply is good, and he's giving it away free, so maybe I should snag it.

It's actually the only free S2 I can find on Craigslist: the rest want money. To my good fortune, he lives not far from me. I still wonder if the power supply is even what my problem is though.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
By the way, I found a fairly close by Craigslist ad for a free Tivo Series 2, 40 hr model. I wonder if all TiVo S2 power supplies are compatible. The fact that it's a 40 hr model makes me suspect it's compatible, because that sounds to me like the earlier models, which were single tuner, like mine is.

But the catch is, it's free because it doesn't work, and the owner has replaced it with a Romio. He says: "It starts the boot process, displays some of the Tivo screens, and then freezes on a screen saying "just a few minutes more." I replaced it with a Tivo Romio." He goes on to say he thinks it's a hard drive problem. If that's true, then maybe his power supply is good, and he's giving it away free, so maybe I should snag it.

It's actually the only free S2 I can find on Craigslist: the rest want money. To my good fortune, he lives not far from me. I still wonder if the power supply is even what my problem is though.
Free's free, and it's local. Snag it just in case, you might need some other part off it at some future point even if the power supply doesn't fix your issue.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:

Grab it.

Chances are he has a hard drive problem and the power supply is good enough for test purposes.

Post the model number of your S2 and the model number of the other one and we'll go from there.

Do you have any experience at all with a soldering iron?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
timckelley
TCFer

Well I have model number TCD240080, but the Craigslist guy has model TCD540040. I'm researching now to see if their power supplies are compatible.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
timckelley
TCFer

Well the weaknees site says that the power supply for Series 2 TCD2X TiVo DVR is compatible with

TiVo TCD230040
TiVo TCD240040
TiVo TCD240080
TiVo TCD24004A
TiVo TCD24008A
TiVo TCD240140

And the power supply for Series 2 TCD5X TiVo DVR is compatible with

TiVo TCD540040
TiVo TCD540080
TiVo TCD540140
Humax T800
Humax T2500

To me this sounds like I won't be able to use his free TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you have any experience at all with a soldering iron?
No, but my recollection is that installing power supplies is reasonably easy, not requiring a soldering iron.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 12-09-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

First, there's no way that a S1 power supply will work in a S2
Second. Not all S2 power supplies are interchangeable, but the 540 power supplies and the 240 supplies are interchangeable. It's been discussed here before and I and several other people have successfully fixed tivo's by replacing the ps with one from the other model.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
timckelley
TCFer

Wow, that's really good news. The weaknees website lists all the models of power supplies and the models of TiVos, and which are compatible with which, and what they say seems to go against what you're saying, but you're saying you have both first hand and second hand knowledge, so I can trust that. Plus this 540 TiVo is free anyway, so it sounds like I should go ahead and try a power supply transplant and see what happens.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's been discussed here before and I and several other people have successfully fixed tivo's by replacing the ps with one from the other model.
Wow, that was almost 6 years ago already.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=385566
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
timckelley
TCFer

Well I'm waiting for the guy at Craigslist to reply so we can set up a time for me to take his TiVo. Meanwhile, I wonder, if the overheating message means that possibly more than the power supply got fried. I worry that after replacing the power supply I'll find that more is wrong with it. I hope not.

OTOH, since the error message on my TiVo was that the DVR was shut down due to excessive heat, that implies to me that the TiVo protects itself from damage by shutting down. That would make me think it shouldn't be damaged. Yet it seems to be.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I suspect it's a combination of the dust buildup, and a power supply failure that is causing the fan to spin slower adding to the heat buildup.
The power supply itself could be overheating from trying to work too hard to keep the voltages up.

I think the MB will be okay since it shut itself down. I believe the shut down temp is way lower than what the components can actually handle.

Since you have to open the Tivo anyway, it is paramount that you eliminate the power supply as being the problem before diagnosing anything else first.
To save some time and get a more accurate reading, I suggest you plug the Tivo hard drive into a PC and run the hard drive manufacturer's long test on it. Or, take your chances and see if the Tivo will boot up after you change/repair the power supply.

I'm sure unitron will report back with more detailed info.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

If the power supply doesn't fix it you can probably get a cheap one off of craigslist. There are so many on craigslist and they rarely sell. I have TiVos off all sorts on craigslist at all times for the last 10 years for very cheap and they rarely sell, so I would say most of the TiVos that you see on craigslist are still for sale, or have been dumped at the thrift store.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Well I have model number TCD240080, but the Craigslist guy has model TCD540040. I'm researching now to see if their power supplies are compatible.
The really important question is whether the little TiVo guy has fallen off of the front of that 540 yet.

I have swapped 240 and 540 supplies back and forth.

Recently.

The 240 supply can manage a little more overall power than the 540, but the pinout of the ribbon cable that connects the power supply to the motherboard and the various voltages are the same (with the possible exception of a slight difference in a low amperage circuit that runs up around 30 Volts or a little lower, and you can get away with that being 28V instead of 29 or whatever).

And the mounting footprint is the same.

So once you verify that the 540 will boot up as far as the welcome screen (you may need to disconnect the hard drive), you can stick it in the 240 for test purposes.

If you're lucky he's got lifetime on that 540 and it just needs a new hard drive and for you to fix the 240's power supply so the 540 can have its supply back.

When you stick the 540 supply into the 240, disconnect the 240's hard drive and see if the 240 will get as far as the welcome screen.

If that works okay, pull the plug, hook the drive back up and try again.

If that works, you probably still need to be thinking about copying the 240's hard drive off to a new drive, which means go read the SATA/IDE adapter thread.

And have a really good look at the capacitors on both power supplies, especially the ones underneath the heat sink overhang. The hardest ones to get to are the most likely to be the ones going bad.

Report back.

I'm sure I'll have more free advice to give.

And remember rule #1!

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!!!

and rule number two is that it is better to unplug from the wall socket and connect and disconnect the cord from the TiVo's AC input jack as few times as possible and with as little wiggling as possible.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
/subscribed

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yep. I'm in too.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #20
unitron

I'm available to assist in going to unreasonable lengths to save your wife's recordings.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #21
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
timckelley
TCFer

I have the guy's S2 in my car right now. Hopefully this evening I can work on the TiVos. He also threw in his remote control which is nice, because one of our TiVo remotes is having major problems with the buttons sticking.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
timckelley
TCFer

As instructed, I disconnected the 540 HD, and attempted to boot up, and I indeed get the welcome screen. One slightly disapointing thing is that I just realized he didn't give me a power cord, so I'm using the 240 power cord for both TiVos.

Anyway, I guess it passes the power supply test, so I'll now transplant the power supply into the 240.

BTW, I never did ask the guy if he has a lifetime sub (as I didn't want to make him think he's giving away the farm.) Maybe there's some way I can find out what kind of sub he has. I guess one way is to repair his hard drive, boot up, and look at his info screen. But I'd hate invest in a new hard drive to discover it's not even lifetimed. But OTOH, I think I do probably have an extra hard drive or two lying around the house, albeit not large ones - but they don't have to be large to get his S2 working enough to boot it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
timckelley
TCFer

I've removed both power supplies. I don't see bulging capacitors on the 240, but I'm no electrical expert. Maybe I'm just not good at seeing damage.

Anyway, I installed the 540 power supply and hooked it to the motherboard leaving it disconnected from the HD as instructed and good news: I get the welcome screen.

That's more than I was getting with the old power supply.

Now for the meat test: connect the HD, and see if she boots up, complete with my wife's NP list and everything.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
timckelley
TCFer

Rebooting as we speak, and I could be wrong, but I think the fan is spinning at a healthier speed than it was with the old power supply. If this thing works, maybe I should send a thank you note to the Craigslist guy.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
unitron

Quote:
As instructed, I disconnected the 540 HD, and attempted to boot up, and I indeed get the welcome screen. One slightly disapointing thing is that I just realized he didn't give me a power cord, so I'm using the 240 power cord for both TiVos.

Anyway, I guess it passes the power supply test, so I'll now transplant the power supply into the 240.

BTW, I never did ask the guy if he has a lifetime sub (as I didn't want to make him think he's giving away the farm.) Maybe there's some way I can find out what kind of sub he has. I guess one way is to repair his hard drive, boot up, and look at his info screen. But I'd hate invest in a new hard drive to discover it's not even lifetimed. But OTOH, I think I do probably have an extra hard drive or two lying around the house, albeit not large ones - but they don't have to be large to get his S2 working enough to boot it.
Assuming that 540 motherboard is still in the chassis it left the factory in (which reminds me, is the little TiVo guy still glued on the front?), then on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in is the TiVo Service Number.

Go online to tivo.com, go to support, click on chat, eventually you'll get somebody, they'll ask if you have an account already (although it doesn't matter for the question you're going to ask), so tell them yes (I just have my name, address, phone number, and email address tied to the account in Notepad and copy and paste when they ask), and then tell them you need to know the account status of--insert the 540's TSN here.

If it does and you want to add it to your account, you'll have to get it working first.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
timckelley
TCFer

It's at the almost there screen, but I wanted to add this important bit of information. I've been unplugging at the TiVo end (before today), which is contrary to unitron's advice to unplug from the wall end. So starting today, I'm unplugging at the wall end, and when I did I discovered to my dismay that for some alarming reason, it was plugged directly to the wall, and not into my UPS unit. I don't know if my wife did that or something, because it's hard for me to believe I'd make that mistake. That means it's been subject to power surges and power outages. And I know this house has had it's share of brief (seconds long) power outages, so who knows how many times that TiVo has rebooted.

Also, as a bit of history, I'm not the original owner of this TiVo. I bought it from a TCFer her (username = jenhudsen). She had already upgraded the HD to 300GB and lifetimed it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
unitron

Quote:
Rebooting as we speak, and I could be wrong, but I think the fan is spinning at a healthier speed than it was with the old power supply. If this thing works, maybe I should send a thank you note to the Craigslist guy.
You could thank him by offering him $10 for the power cord and remote.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Assuming that 540 motherboard is still in the chassis it left the factory in (which reminds me, is the little TiVo guy still glued on the front?), then on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in is the TiVo Service Number.

Go online to tivo.com, go to support, click on chat, eventually you'll get somebody, they'll ask if you have an account already (although it doesn't matter for the question you're going to ask), so tell them yes (I just have my name, address, phone number, and email address tied to the account in Notepad and copy and paste when they ask), and then tell them you need to know the account status of--insert the 540's TSN here.

If it does and you want to add it to your account, you'll have to get it working first.
Thanks for that advice The TiVo guy is indeed still on the front, and the service number is on the back. He also has a Maxtor HD in there, which I bet is the original factory hard drive. I guess I should follow your strategy to learn the account status.

And now for the final result:

It booted successfully, and NP is back and everything! Replacing the power supply indeed did the trick!

Yet another time I find myself indebted to the help board here for getting my TiVo fixed. True, I read on another site on how to replace the power supply, but I wouldn't have thought to replace it to begin with without the advice here, and I probably wouldn't have thought to scour Craigslist to find a free TiVo. I remember years ago when I replaced the power supply on my S1, I bought it from some website.

My wife has already gone to sleep but tomorrow morning she'll wake up to a repaired TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #30
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for that advice The TiVo guy is indeed still on the front, and the service number is on the back. He also has a Maxtor HD in there, which I bet is the original factory hard drive. I guess I should follow your strategy to learn the account status.

And now for the final result:

It booted successfully, and NP is back and everything! Replacing the power supply indeed did the trick!

Yet another time I find myself indebted to the help board here for getting my TiVo fixed. True, I read on another site on how to replace the power supply, but I wouldn't have thought to replace it to begin with without the advice here, and I probably wouldn't have thought to scour Craigslist to find a free TiVo. I remember years ago when I replaced the power supply on my S1, I bought it from some website.

My wife has already gone to sleep but tomorrow morning she'll wake up to a repaired TiVo.
So the 240 is working with the 540 supply in it?

If the drive in the 540 is a Maxtor, then it's probably got a slightly higher LBA number than Seagates and WDs and such that are supposedly the same GB number, which means the image from the Maxtor won't quite fit on the other brands unless you go to a higher GB number.

If the 540 quit working on the guy recently, it may be that there's nothing actually wrong other than it failed when it tried to switch to the alternate boot partitions while trying to upgrade itself from 9.3.2b-... to 9.3.2c-...

Let's talk about fixing the 240 supply and putting it back where it belongs.

Then we'll get the 540 running again.

Once all that's out of the way we can start planning global domination.