TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
jimp

Lineup change, "Next Generation Digital Equipment"?

I received a flyer in the mail from my cable company, Newwave Communications. In it they say that they're remapping pretty much every channel around to make room for more channels, and adding a bunch of HD channels (finally, Comedy Central and TNT in HD!) however, all of the new HD channels are marked as requiring "Next Generation Digital Equipment required to view channel".

Anyone ever heard of that term being used before? Any idea what they might mean? I had a hard enough time getting the CableCards out of them, not sure what they're trying to do now... Few people I've talked to there have any clue about CableCards or TiVo so I'm reluctant to ask them about this for fear I won't get a straight answer.

EDIT: If I had to guess blindly I suppose it might mean SDV, which may mean I'd need a TA... hoping not.

Also they don't give an exact date for the cutover, just "August" so I'm really wondering if TiVo will pick up the changes in time. They don't have the new lineup on the web yet, either. If the channel IDs stay the same, will things be smooth? Or can I expect some issues? Should I notify TiVo about the impending change now?
DVD-R: Philips DVDR4375
Remote: Harmony 670

Bedroom:
TiVo: TiVo Premiere, Wi-Fi
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Could be a tuning adapter.

Or, if they haven't already, they could be eliminating analog channels in your area. If so, that notice would simply apply to those that don't currently have a box/cablecard device.

Hard to say when they're so vague.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
IlliniRam

Newwave Communications and Next Generation Digital Equip.

I also have Newwave and they did a lineup change today. I printed out the new channel lineups and probably 30 channels require the next generation digital equipment. I have the Tivo Premiere with an M cable card.

After resetting for the new lineup I am unable to access the next generation digital channels. I called Newwave and they told me I would have to switch out to their new digital receiver to receive the channels. That is not acceptable as I have a lifetime subscription with Tivo.

I called Tivo to ask them if they had this issue and the guy I talked to indicated this was the first he had heard of it. He indicated I might need a tuning adapter and would have to get that from Newwave. I doubt if they have them but I will try tomorrow. The Tivo guy said they are required by law to provide the channels and cannot require me to use their equipment in order to access them.

Please anybody with Newwave or another cable provider, have you ran into this and what is the remedy.

Thanks.
IlliniRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
mattack

You should contact the FCC and complain, if it truly ends up something you can't solve/work around with a tuning adapter.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
jimp

I tried a couple times to get a tuning adapter from them but nobody I talked to had any idea what it was and e-mails went unanswered. The channels I wanted so far haven't needed it so I haven't pressed the issue. They claim HBO and a few others require it but they tune in fine for me, perhaps because there are enough people on my segment that watch it at the same time so it ends up being active by luck.
DVD-R: Philips DVDR4375
Remote: Harmony 670

Bedroom:
TiVo: TiVo Premiere, Wi-Fi
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
JosephB

Was this a notice that was sent specifically to CableCard customers, or does it look like something that was probably sent to every single subscriber in the system?

They're very likely talking about customers who were watching channels in analog needing Digital Transport Adapters.

As far as not being able to get the new channels, who knows. It could simply be the CableCard didn't get the new channel map, or you may need a tuning adapter. SDV isn't a cheap thing to set up, so if this is a smaller company they may not have SDV, it may just be misconfigured cards. Good luck.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
They claim HBO and a few others require it but they tune in fine for me, perhaps because there are enough people on my segment that watch it at the same time so it ends up being active by luck.
No, if HBO was switched, even if other people were already watching it, if you didn't have a Tuning Adapter you would not be able to see it. Your TiVo would have no idea what frequency it is on.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Was this a notice that was sent specifically to CableCard customers, or does it look like something that was probably sent to every single subscriber in the system?

They're very likely talking about customers who were watching channels in analog needing Digital Transport Adapters.

As far as not being able to get the new channels, who knows. It could simply be the CableCard didn't get the new channel map, or you may need a tuning adapter. SDV isn't a cheap thing to set up, so if this is a smaller company they may not have SDV, it may just be misconfigured cards. Good luck.
They might be talking about analog customers just needing to switch to digital capable boxes in general.

When they said "Next Generation", if they didn't define the previous generation stuff, it could mean most anything.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Whether and when you get lineup changes in your guide data doesn't depend on whether the cable co can give you date for the changes. They have to submit the changes to Tribune Media Services who provides the guide data for Tivo servers to provide to your Tivo. TMS has the guide data for Tivos on Zap2It.com, which they operate. Go there, enter your zip code, and you will be able to select from several lineups, one of which is what your Tivo should have.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

You guys need a tuning adapter. If you have a local office you should stop by and ask them. The people in the office might have been briefed on what to hand out if someone wants a CableCARD.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
IlliniRam

After a couple of hours, the channels that needed the specialized digital equipment suddenly started working. So in the end, the cable cards are working correctly and no tuning adapter was needed. The bad part is the guide is still unusable for all of my channels and it has already been 3 days since the new channel lineup was introduced.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Try repeating guided setup. Sometimes when they make major changes like this you have to repeat guided setup to get the right data.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
IlliniRam

I will try the guided setup again. I redid the guided setup on the date of the channel change. When I go to my tivo online a/c at tivo.com and go to "find shows" and then "tv listings guide" and it shows 75% of the channels as Null. However when I go to Zap2It.com the correct channels and shows are showing up in their guide for NewWave. This is very frustrating not having a guide.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Submit a guide data error report to Tivo.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
IlliniRam

Everything is now working. Ran guided setup again last night and the new channel lineup with guide is now working properly.