TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
willp2

Transfer service and transfer shows from TivoHD

Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but its regarding my new Roamio, so here goes.

I just picked up a new Roamio to replace my TivoHD. I did an upgrade through Tivo so I can keep my old monthly rate.

My understanding was that I'd be able to transfer my shows direct Tivo to Tivo. They are telling me now that as soon as I activate the new Roamio, the HD is basically a brick and I won't be able to transfer shows from it, watch them from there or even transfer to a PC.

Is that all correct? Is there any way to get these things online at the same time so I can move my recorded shows over?

I can probably fool the old Tivo into staying alive a bit longer by giving it a bad default gateway which may give me time to transfer shows to a PC. But I'd really prefer to avoid trying to do that if I can and would like to just go Tivo to Tivo.

Is there any solution here that I'm missing?

Thanks
willp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willp2 View Post
Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question, but its regarding my new Roamio, so here goes.

I just picked up a new Roamio to replace my TivoHD. I did an upgrade through Tivo so I can keep my old monthly rate.

My understanding was that I'd be able to transfer my shows direct Tivo to Tivo. They are telling me now that as soon as I activate the new Roamio, the HD is basically a brick and I won't be able to transfer shows from it, watch them from there or even transfer to a PC.

Is that all correct? Is there any way to get these things online at the same time so I can move my recorded shows over?

I can probably fool the old Tivo into staying alive a bit longer by giving it a bad default gateway which may give me time to transfer shows to a PC. But I'd really prefer to avoid trying to do that if I can and would like to just go Tivo to Tivo.

Is there any solution here that I'm missing?

Thanks
I don't know the answer to your specific question, But do you have a PC you could transfer the shows to?
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
willp2

Yes, and I'm fooling around with kmttg right now and trying to figure out how that works. Not sure if I can use that to transfer direct from one to the other.

Now I see that even my Season passes didn't transfer, which is awesome. Would Tivo Desktop let me transfer shows and Season Passes from the old Tivo to the new one?
Old 12-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You would need service on both Tivos to transfer shows to another.

Without service, you can only watch the recordings or live TV without the bells and whistles of the service, such as REW, FF, etc.

If you have lifetime on your old box, they will not transfer that to another box. You may be able to get $99 lifetime on your old box if it does not have it by calling Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah you should ask about the $99 lifetime. If you can get it then that will allow you to transfer the shows and when you're done you'll be able to sell the old TiVo for about $200 recouping the $99 and then some.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
willp2

I went ahead and activated it month to month before reading your comments about the lifetime. I'll call them back about that. Odd thing is that before the old Tivo was re-activated, I could see it from the new box, but I couldn't do anything with it. Now it's activated and I can't see it from the new one at all.

I also can't transfer season passes from the season pass manager at tivo.com. Not that that matters at this point as the cablecard isn't working either. So pretty much smooth sailing so far.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Reboot both boxes and that problem should go away
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I went ahead and activated it month to month before reading your comments about the lifetime. I'll call them back about that. Odd thing is that before the old Tivo was re-activated, I could see it from the new box, but I couldn't do anything with it. Now it's activated and I can't see it from the new one at all.

I also can't transfer season passes from the season pass manager at tivo.com. Not that that matters at this point as the cablecard isn't working either. So pretty much smooth sailing so far.
You need to force Tivo Connection on both boxes since you have added a new Tivo. Its like the older box is not recognized from the new box until its phoned home.

~~~~~

Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
willp2

OK great! Making progress. Forced them both the reconnect and they are seeing each other again. Thanks much for that!

Unfortunately 90% of what is on there is marked as copy protected, so it's doesn't do much good in the end.

Also, my cablecard started working all of a sudden for no apparent reason so it's a Tivo again.

For some reason my season passes still are not showing up online. Is there a way to transfer those direct, Tivo to Tivo?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

No. The website is the only option for a TiVo HD. If it were a Premiere or another Roamio then you could do it via kmttg, which works way better, but it uses an API that is only available on the Premiere or later models.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
For some reason my season passes still are not showing up online. Is there a way to transfer those direct, Tivo to Tivo?
Are you logged in to your Tivo.com account? It is called Season Pass Manager from the title bar near the top. Wishlists, manual recordings are not included.

~~~~~

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No. The website is the only option for a TiVo HD. If it were a Premiere or another Roamio then you could do it via kmttg, which works way better, but it uses an API that is only available on the Premiere or later models.
Are you sure about that? I can retrieve and save the season passes from my TivoHDs. Granted I haven't tried transferring them from one box to the other, but it would seem like it should be possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
willp2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Are you logged in to your Tivo.com account? It is called Season Pass Manager from the title bar near the top. Wishlists, manual recordings are not included.
Yes, I was in the season pass manager at tivo.com. I had both the Tivos there and my season passes were showing earlier. Looks like something got a bit messed up when they re-added the old Tivo. I called and they removed and re-added it again and now everything shows up as expected and I was able to move the SP's to the new system.

One nice thing is the dual band wifi. I am transferring shows from the old Tivo to the new one via wifi. When both systems were on 2.4GHz it was taking hours to transfer even one show. I moved the new unit to 5GHz and the transfers took minutes.

The only thing I think I still need to work out is how to get the remote to power off my receiver like the old remote did. It will power off the TV and control the volume on the receiver but won't turn it off and on.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I replaced the disk with a 3TB drive, so space won't be an issue. I really do like that the OS is apparently on the motherboard and not on the hard drive. It should make dealing with future drive failures much easier than on the previous models.

The interface and speed are far better than the old HD unit. It's a little quirky here and there, but overall it seems like a very nice upgrade.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
I just used kmttg to transfer the season passes from my TiVo HD to my new Roamio. For the TiVo HD I had to configure my tivo.com username/password in kmttg (version v1p0j) to get it to work (File->Configure->Tivos->tivo.com username/password).
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

I didn't realize kmttg could do that. I thought it used the MindRPC for the SP transfer, which would only work on a Premiere+. Apparently it also has the ability to connect to the website and grab them.

If you can use kmttg then do, it works WAY better for transferring SPs then the website.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
If you can use kmttg then do, it works WAY better for transferring SPs then the website.
Definitely. It wasn't terribly intuitive, but it worked great.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

The website screws up the order and refuses to schedule SPs for shows that are not currently airing. kmttg can maintain the order and schedule SPs for everything even shows not in the current guide data.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
tim1724

Quote:
The website screws up the order and refuses to schedule SPs for shows that are not currently airing. kmttg can maintain the order and schedule SPs for everything even shows not in the current guide data.
It certainly scrambles the order. But when I moved all of my season passes from an original Series 3 to a Roamio Pro a few months back it correctly copied all of them to the Roamio, including season passes for which no episodes were scheduled to air anytime soon.

Aside from scrambling the order, the only problem I had was that it the website was very, very slow (although not as bad as reordering season passes had been on the Series 3).
tim1724 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

When I did my wife's last year all the ones that were not currently in the guide ended up listed as "Corrupt: Delete" or something like that. They fixed themselves as the shows came back into the guide, but at first the majority of them were listed like that. When I did my Sister's earlier this year it simply refused to copy any that weren't currently in the guide.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
When I did my wife's last year all the ones that were not currently in the guide ended up listed as "Corrupt: Delete" or something like that. They fixed themselves as the shows came back into the guide, but at first the majority of them were listed like that. When I did my Sister's earlier this year it simply refused to copy any that weren't currently in the guide.
I also got some sort of a "Corrupt" message when I tried to do it via the web site last year to copy the SPs from an old S2 to a new Premier. I'm definitely a kmttg fan now.