TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #91
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
After a 2+ hour ordeal last night with no success pairing my CC to my new Roamio Pro, I cane here to search.

I found this thread, leading me to go pick up the correct 017 model card from the Verizon store in Woodbridge, VA.

After another hour on the phone (something about having to wait until my order fully processed - they can push it through - ...), they finally got the new card paired.

I was able to verify all channels EXCEPT HBO.

They updated the card to reflect that I was an HBO subscriber, and "re-hit" the card.

Finally up and working.

This shouldn't be this hard after YEARS of Cable Card support.

It's clear that there is NO INTEREST in making the process easier.
Your experience sounds a little better than mine. When I went to pair my card to my replacement Roamio Pro, I was on chat for over 90 minutes. Although I guess 90 minutes on chat is better than a hour on the phone. I try to avoid dealing with them on the phone.

But chat seems to be the best thing anyway. You can get in contact with a tech in the middle of the night. While phone support ends early.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #92
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac84371 View Post
I have the 514517-006-00 (MCPOD2) cable card and a Roamio Plus on its way. I don't subscribe to any premium channels so do I still need the 514517-017-00 (MCPOD3) Verizon cable card?
I had the MCPOD1 card and I had no problems with it viewing the channels that did not need the card paired. I only got the MCPOD3 card because I have HBO and Cinemax which needs a paired cable card to view.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #93
sac84371
Lost In Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I had the MCPOD1 card and I had no problems with it viewing the channels that did not need the card paired. I only got the MCPOD3 card because I have HBO and Cinemax which needs a paired cable card to view.
Great, thank you. I pretty much stick to Netflix for the premium services and avoid HBO and the like. Even though I do miss out some of the original content on HBO and Showtime.
sac84371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #94
sac84371
Lost In Space

Also I wonder if a firmware upgrade will ever fix this issue?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #95
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Hmmm....

I guess my definition of premium is different (or my experience was).

With an unpaired card, I couldn't watch anything but local networks. No ESPN, no HGTV, no HBO(expected), no Center Ice (expected).

You may get lucky and have all the channels you want / need without pairing.... you may not.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #96
sac84371
Lost In Space

Quote:
Hmmm....

With an unpaired card, I couldn't watch anything but local networks. No ESPN, no HGTV, no HBO(expected), no Center Ice (expected).

You may get lucky and have all the channels you want / need without pairing.... you may not.
And there is the caveat. Hmm only time will tell. Currently my Premier XL gets all of those channels and the card is not paired.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #97
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Hmmm....

With an unactivated card, all I could view was the local channels. Once the card was activated I could view all the other channels except HBO, Cinemax and the test channels. And once the card was paired I could view those.

With my first Roamio Pro I had a tech screw up my card activation. So when he deactivated my card, I could only receive the local channels. I was pretty pissed when that happened. That was the last time I talked to a tech on the phone. The idiot knew I was calling him on my FiOS landline and still reset my ONT trying to fix it(which made no sense but he wouldn't listen), which of course dropped the call and then never contacted me again. Of course when I tried to call back, the tech support on the phone line was closed. I ended up contacting support by chat at 3Am that night. So once I realized that chat support is open so late, that is now my first choice when I need tech support.

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #98
BigJimOutlaw

The Roamio update released tonight fixed the macroblocking issue. I have an MCPOD1 card and the macroblocking I was getting on channel 131 is now gone. So presumably we don't have to worry about the specific card anymore.

But proper pairing of any cards might be Verizon's issue. If the automated phone system's pairing doesn't work, an online chat, phone call, or message to @verizonsupport on twitter to "reint" the card is necessary until they get that fixed (if ever).

The keyword to support is to "reint" the card.

(BTW, the @verizonsupport folks are superheroes compared to phone support. Follow them on twitter and if you send them a message they will follow you and get you squared away through Direct Messages.)

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 10-10-2013 at 03:36 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #99
sac84371
Lost In Space

Great news. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The Roamio update released tonight fixed the macroblocking issue. I have an MCPOD1 card and the macroblocking I was getting on channel 131 is now gone. So presumably we don't have to worry about the specific card anymore.

But proper pairing of any cards might be Verizon's issue. If the automated pairing doesn't work, an online chat, phone call, or message to @verizonsupport on twitter to "reint" the card is necessary until they get that fixed (if ever).

The keyword to support is to "reint" the card.

(BTW, the @verizonsupport folks are superheroes compared to phone support. Follow them on twitter and if you send them a message they will follow you and get you squared away through Direct Messages.)

Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #100
jaylaw64

Ok. 4 hours with FIOS phone support today.

Rep must do "manual validation" to get copy written content.

Another key ingredient is that the "data id" of the card may change. Mt rep got HBO working and then went to fix another issue. He could no longer hit the card and I lost HBO. I looked at settings, and the data id had changed. He redid "manual validation" withe new data I'd, and HBO returned.
jaylaw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #101
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylaw64 View Post
Ok. 4 hours with FIOS phone support today.

Rep must do "manual validation" to get copy written content.
Did you mean copy protected content? If not, what did you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylaw64 View Post
Another key ingredient is that the "data id" of the card may change. Mt rep got HBO working and then went to fix another issue. He could no longer hit the card and I lost HBO. I looked at settings, and the data id had changed. He redid "manual validation" withe new data I'd, and HBO returned.
The Data ID changing can be easily overlooked during the paring process, and something that everyone should be on the lookout for.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #102
wmhyland

Got a Roamio basic delivered a few days ago, after 30 minutes with Verizon support got all channels including HBO to work. I decided to return the basic, upgrade to the Roamio +, received today, Verizon phone support got all channels except HBO to work. After an hour of phone support Verizon gave up, said they'd send me a new cable card to arrive next Tuesday. I've had the same Motorola M card for the past 3 or 4 years.

Thought I'd give the In-Home Agent support a try -- I passed along a few of the suggestions from this forum, they had it fixed in 5 minutes. Solution was a manual validation. Same old card, works fine, all six tuners. Be prepared with the CableCard ID, Host ID, Data, and Card S/N from channel 131 or any non-working HBO channel.
wmhyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #103
GTXgp

Manual validation did the trick for me too, to get HBO & Cinemax working after the online activation missed em.
GTXgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #104
headless chicken

What do you mean by manual validation? Calling in and speaking to tech support?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #105
rsnaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
What do you mean by manual validation? Calling in and speaking to tech support?
Yes, you need to talk to someone who can run the process to Manually Validate Set Top Box.

That is the term I used to pair my card on 3 different Roamio's over the past month.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #106
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
Yes, you need to talk to someone who can run the process to Manually Validate Set Top Box.
Gotcha. That's what I thought but I wasn't certain.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #107
sangs

Hit a couple of speed bumps along the way to getting HBO & Cinemax to work on my new Roamio today, but as suggested above, I used the online chat option and they got it working within 20 minutes or so. Thanks for tips.
sangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #108
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

+1 for Solution was a manual validation.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #109
NobleHeretic

I went round and round with Verizon FIOs and TiVo Tech Support on Authorizing AND Pairing a MCard in a new Roamio Plus. At first I could get everything EXCEPT HBO and Cinemax. It would have all the values correct except the VAL: was a ? not a V when looking at Settings & Messages/Settings/Remote, CableCARD, & Devices/CableCARD Decoder/CableCARD options (for Installers)/CableCARD Menu/Conditional Access.

I contacted Verzion FIOs through the Live Chat Tech Support and told them this:

I need you to "Manually Validate Set Top Box" for an M Stream Cablecard in a TiVO Roamio Plus device that is not tuning/decoding the copy protected HBO and Cinemax channels but is working for all other channels. The card seems to be authorized but not properly paired. The proper Cable Card Info is: CableCARD ID: XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-X, HOST ID: XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX-X, Data: XXX-XXX-XXX-XX, Card S/N: MTXXXXTMAXXX

The X's above are all the proper numbers found in the "CableCARD(tm) Pairing" screen on your TiVo.

He did as I asked and also indicated that there may have been an error in the Data: #.

Not sure if it made a difference, but the Motorola CableCARD part number is: 514517-017-00.

All is good now and I have ALL my Premium Channels.
Roamio Plus (CableCard and Gigabit Ethernet)

Last edited by NobleHeretic : 12-28-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Error in Motorola CableCARD Part #
NobleHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #110
sangs

So I think FiOS must have changed something with their cable card pairing/activation process. This week I activated two cable cards and neither had to be manually validated to receive HBO and Cinemax. I simply activated them online following the instructions and all channels were available from the get-go. (Unlike previous attempts, when manual validation was a necessity in order to receive HBO and Cinemax.)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #111
rlcarr

If they changed anything they changed it REALLY recently. I activated a card a week-and-a-half ago and it did not get paired from the get-go.
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #112
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
If they changed anything they changed it REALLY recently. I activated a card a week-and-a-half ago and it did not get paired from the get-go.
Maybe. I activated one last Thursday and again yesterday. Could also be area-specific too I guess. I was all prepared for the manual validation dance and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't necessary in either case.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #113
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Be forewarned if you call Verizon for support they're likely to reset your actiontec modem settings, even when it's entirely unrelated to the router. Idiots have reset mine twice; once during cablecard pairing (for a new Roamio Pro) and another during a voice line problem.

So I'm about to replace the modem with one they can't access remotely. Likely a new Asus.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #114
sangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Be forewarned if you call Verizon for support they're likely to reset your actiontec modem settings, even when it's entirely unrelated to the router. Idiots have reset mine twice; once during cablecard pairing (for a new Roamio Pro) and another during a voice line problem.

So I'm about to replace the modem with one they can't access remotely. Likely a new Asus.
That's never happened to me. No reason for the router to have anything to do with the cablecard. Be forewarned though, you get rid of the Actiontec and they won't be able to troubleshoot, if the need occurs.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #115
mae

Red face Depends on who you get

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
That's never happened to me. No reason for the router to have anything to do with the cablecard. Be forewarned though, you get rid of the Actiontec and they won't be able to troubleshoot, if the need occurs.
I called in to have my card re validated the other day when I replaced my Premier with a Roamio. First words out of the CSR were, you must be having internet problems, I'll reset your router.

I said no, the card receives signals on the OOB channel, not TCP/IP, PLEASE do not touch my router. She argued a little, put me on hold (probably checking with someone) and came back and told me I was right. She then re paired the card.

As is said here constantly, it is the luck of the draw who you get on the phone, online chat or Twitter. At least this one listened, admitted I knew something and didn't pull the trigger on the router reset (although I did have the config backed up).
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:52 AM   #116
JZ1276

This is an absolute nightmare. I actually just upgraded to the Roamio because my TivoHD stopped receiving Fios's MPEG4 channels (MGMHD, SonyHD, etc). Now, after getting the Roamio connected all HBO's and Cinemax channels arent coming in. I called Verizon to order the correct model M card and he said I had to go to the Verizon store to get one. I actually get less channels now than I did with my TivoHD!

So basically, bottom line is...
I have to get the correct M card and then call Verizon and hope I get someone on the phone the knows how to pair it correctly??

By the way, I think it's pretty fkin sad that both problems I've had so far with the MPEG4 channels with TivoHD and the HBO/Cinemax channels with the Roamio I had to find answers to the problems on this forum because Verizon is totally clueless.

UPDATE: I actually disconnected the Roamio and checked the card and had the correct one in there already. Guess I'll try the online support.

UPDATE: OK just called them and asked them to manually validate the M card. Took a minute, HBO and Cinemax are now working.

Last edited by JZ1276 : 03-23-2014 at 03:45 AM.
JZ1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #117
HarperVision

Yeah I heard with Comcast and Verizon that when you put the card in you'll get most of your channels except premiums until you actually pair the card with the DVR. Glad you got it all working!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #118
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
asked them to manually validate the M card.
These seem to be the magic words. Also, TiVo made an update some months ago, so there shouldn't be a special version of card required for FiOS anymore.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #119
GmanTiVo
give me more options

as I mentioned in another thread, my interaction with FIOS was minimal and smooth last Saturday (3/22).

I did not have to call in this time around (new Roamio Pro), the new Mcard from the VZ store (with the correct manufacturing part number: 514517-017-00 from post above).
As soon as I activated the Mcard online my Roamio Pro received HBO fine.

I can confirm that in the past, whe i had to, calling FIOS works.

Call FIOS CableCard activation phone # and skip through all the requests and just say "agent/representative. When you speak to the tech rep ask them Kindly to do a Manual Validation.... even if they see ithe Mcard properly paired. Go to channel 901 (HBO) while on the phone and read off the various #s the Tech person asks (Host ID, Card ID, Card SN & Data ID).

HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Ch 131, etc will come alive as soon as the tech person says "done".

Keep in mind that I was told and can confirm that occasionally there is a total signal loss from the ONT and the Mcards re-set themselves (or better deactivate/un-pair). No channel Signal.... all channels are black.... FIOS will give you the whole shpiel about COAX connection, Cards Unseated, blah blah, just read them the data from ther CC info screen and have them do a manual validation... all goes back to normal.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #120
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
as I mentioned in another thread, my interaction with FIOS was minimal and smooth last Saturday (3/22). I did not have to call in this time around (new Roamio Pro), the new Mcard from the VZ store (with the correct manufacturing part number: 514517-017-00 from post above). As soon as I activated the Mcard online my Roamio Pro received HBO fine. I can confirm that in the past, whe i had to, calling FIOS works. Call FIOS CableCard activation phone # and skip through all the requests and just say "agent/representative. When you speak to the tech rep ask them Kindly to do a Manual Validation.... even if they see ithe Mcard properly paired. Go to channel 901 (HBO) while on the phone and read off the various #s the Tech person asks (Host ID, Card ID, Card SN & Data ID). HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Ch 131, etc will come alive as soon as the tech person says "done". Keep in mind that I was told and can confirm that occasionally there is a total signal loss from the ONT and the Mcards re-set themselves (or better deactivate/un-pair). No channel Signal.... all channels are black.... FIOS will give you the whole shpiel about COAX connection, Cards Unseated, blah blah, just read them the data from ther CC info screen and have them do a manual validation... all goes back to normal.
I'm so happy everything worked out for you!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote