TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Raoul99
A/V Addict

Purchase Own Cablecard?

I'm on Comcast in Central Mass. and I'm thinking about buying a couple of cablecards...

Those of you who have bought your own, have you had any troubles getting the cable company to pair them for you? Do they give you any grief,or do they insist that you have to use their cards?

Any info would be great...
Raoul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

You definitely have to use their cablecards to receive their encrypted channels (which is most or all of them).

There are cablecards on ebay but the actual usable market for them is incredibly small. They won't activate a blank card. Some people have had some luck using those cards to receive unencypted local channels on some providers, but they will not activate and pair it for you.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
mr.unnatural

I don't know of any provider that will allow you to activate a cablecard you're not renting from them. While the FCC has ruled that you can own your own equipment to receive TV channels from a digital cable provider, that right does not necesarily extend to the ownership of cablecards. Chances are, any cablecards you find on ebay were likely pulled from a cableco set top box or it was used in a cablecard device and never turned back in to the provider when the account was closed.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

So, any free market cablecard is likely stolen property of some cable company.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
modnar

Some cable companies will sell you their own CableCard. For example, my local cable provider will not rent you a card; you have to purchase it for $70.
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Raoul99
A/V Addict

So...I'm guessin' it's not a great idea, huh?

Thanks for the info, guys...
Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul99 View Post
So...I'm guessin' it's not a great idea, huh?

Thanks for the info, guys...
In many cases, as I understand it, the card has to be the right brand to be compatible with that particular cable company's head end equipment.

That's the nice thing about standards, there are so many of them.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by modnar View Post
Some cable companies will sell you their own CableCard. For example, my local cable provider will not rent you a card; you have to purchase it for $70.
That's actually not a bad deal, depending on your provider. Considering that cablecos charge anywhere from about $2-10 per card, it would pay for itself in the long run. I'd be curious to know if they have a decent warranty on the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
In many cases, as I understand it, the card has to be the right brand to be compatible with that particular cable company's head end equipment.

AFAIK, cablecards are made only by Motorola or Scientific Atlanta. It's possible that they come in different flavors, and I suspect the cards are specific to the head end equipment as unitron stated. I would assume that the actual set top boxes are probably interchangeable, same as a Tivo or other cablecard device.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
That's actually not a bad deal, depending on your provider. Considering that cablecos charge anywhere from about $2-10 per card, it would pay for itself in the long run. I'd be curious to know if they have a decent warranty on the cards.
I agree. I wonder if you could get a warranty through Square Trade or something?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

The purpose of a CableCARD is to decrypt the proprietary protection used by the cable company on their wire (Motorola's MediaCipher or Cisco's PowerKEY) and re-encrypt it with a standard protection scheme (DFAST) for output to the host device. The cards are specific to the brand of network they're being used on.

You could conceivably use any Cisco CableCARD on any Cisco cable system but the cable company could refuse to pair any CableCARD which isn't leased from them.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

But as long as the brand is correct it will still download the channel map and allow TiVo to tune any clear QAM channels. That's mainly why people buy them on eBay. To trick their TiVos into working with clear QAM.

Unfortunately clear QAM is on it's way out. These days most systems only leave the locals unencrypted. And in some places they're even allowed to encrypt those if they meet certain conditions. (I think the system has to be 100% digital with no option to receive the locals as analog)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
jgametest

Brighthouse CableCard

Polk County - Brighthouse Networks (tri-county) -- TampaBay

Cisco Cable Card $2.95 per month
tuning Adapter FREE

Mind you, if you acquire one from them and they forgot the TA you need to ask for it.. But they should remember to bring one.

Last edited by jgametest : 12-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Raoul99
A/V Addict

The vast majority of the ones I've seen on Ebay look the same (Motorola) as the ones that I have now. For $10~$15, I might give one a shot and see if Comcast will pair it...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul99 View Post
The vast majority of the ones I've seen on Ebay look the same (Motorola) as the ones that I have now. For $10~$15, I might give one a shot and see if Comcast will pair it...
Save your money, as Comcast in CT will not pair any card that is not in their system.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
jrtroo
User

Comcast gets their $ from their Digital Outlet fee, I get credits for my cablecards.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
mr.unnatural

Your best bet would be to contact your provider and ask them if you can use your own cablecard and, if so, what kind should you get. You'll probably have to speak with someone in tech support for the right answer because chances are most CSRs won't have a clue.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

http://xkcd.com/927/
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
Raoul99
A/V Addict

Yeah...you guys are probably right...I'll probably just stick with what I have. I have 3 cablecards, all on the same outlet, so I really have nothing to complain about...