TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Torino

Hd to sd conversion?

I have started saving shows on a PC. Some of the show are in HD. Is there away to convert these to sd to save space?
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I assume you are saving them from the TiVo?

Before you can do anything to a .tivo file, it would have to be decrypted. TiVo saves the files just as it receives them - generally as a native MPEG2.

You can use several tools to compress MPEG 2 to an MP4 format.

whole bunch of steps for the payoff, but that would accomplish what you are looking for. Frankly, I would just buy another hard drive!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

You should try VideoReDo. It can open .tivo files directly. You can then edit out the commercials, compress to H.264 or even downres to SD to conserve space.

Personally I'd try just editing the commercials and saving to H.264 first. That should cut the file down by 40-50%.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
mr.unnatural

What Dan said. There's not much point in archiving shows recorded in HD if you're going to convert them to SD. The amount of space you save isn't worth the loss in resolution, IMHO.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Torino

Thanks, for the input. I just noticed that an hour of hd was 7300mb and an hour of medium was 1250mb. You could get almost 6hrs of medium for 1hr of hd. Say you had 20hrs of hd you could get 116 hrs of medium. That seems like a big difference. But if you had to convert the to store then convert it back to watch that is a lot of trouble and if you used something like VideoReDo for the cost of the software you could almost by another 2tb drive.
Torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
mattack

It will take a LONG time to do the conversion.

Also, you may think this is a dumb suggestion, but at least in the future, you might want to record some things off of the SD channels instead. While I'm actually starting to record some stuff in HD (usually stuff I absolutely watch right away), for space reasons (so I can more easily hoard up episodes to last through summer, and I STILL offload things to a computer drive), I record most stuff off of SD channels.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

You could also use something like Handbrake to convert the edited HD recordings to mkv files. The size will be reduced to something comparable to the SD recording, but will still maintain a much higher resolution. This is basically what you get when you download TV shows in HD from torrent sites.

You can use a freeware player like VLC Media Player to play back the mkv files on your PC. With the addition of the proper codecs, you can also play them using Windows Media Center. The Shark007 codecs work great with WMC.

While I don't use Handbrake (I never compress anything if I don't have to), I do use MakeMKV to convert ripped Blu-Rays, DVDs, and video files to mkv files. My server currently has 26TB of storage with room to expand it even more, so hard drive space isn't an issue for me.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It will take a LONG time to do the conversion.
Depends on your hardware. Newer PCs can actually transcode pretty quick. I have a 2 year old i7 and I can transcode in about 1/2 real time. (i.e. hour long show takes 30 minutes) Some of the newer ones can cut that down to 1/3-1/4 real time.

Although simple smart editing only takes a couple minutes, so it's still substantially longer then that.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
lpwcomp

What model TiVo?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
jcthorne

And if you choose the format wisely, you do not need to convert back to put the file on the TiVo. Mp4 file with h.264 video and AC3 audio will transfer back without conversion and is pretty compact compared to the mpeg2 format it was recorded in.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
And if you choose the format wisely, you do not need to convert back to put the file on the TiVo. Mp4 file with h.264 video and AC3 audio will transfer back without conversion and is pretty compact compared to the mpeg2 format it was recorded in.
If you save using the H.264 TiVo-TS profile in VideoReDo it will save to a format that can be pulled back to a Premiere/Roamio using TiVo Desktop without recoding. No need for pyTiVo or to push. It's essentially the same as if you transferred a program that was recorded from an H.264 station. It even retains all the metadata.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If you save using the H.264 TiVo-TS profile in VideoReDo it will save to a format that can be pulled back to a Premiere/Roamio using TiVo Desktop without recoding. No need for pyTiVo or to push. It's essentially the same as if you transferred a program that was recorded from an H.264 station. It even retains all the metadata.
That may indeed work better for the OP if the TiVo is the only intended destination.

For me, TiVo is only one of several destinations intended for the files. I also use them on android tablets and a WDTV in our motorhome to bring along programming when we travel.

My understanding is that pyTivo can now handle pulls of mp4 files as well without transcoding, simple remuxing on the fly. I never use pulls as its much easier to manage the contents of the TiVos using kmttg at my computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Thanks, for the input. I just noticed that an hour of hd was 7300mb and an hour of medium was 1250mb.
An hour of downconverted HD is likely to be more than an hour of medium (which frankly doesn't look very good played back on an HD set)
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
lpwcomp

It takes @ 2.5 minutes to pull a 44 minute, 720p mkv to my Premiere. The sizes are 1 to 1.5GB.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
My understanding is that pyTivo can now handle pulls of mp4 files as well without transcoding, simple remuxing on the fly
You're right, I forgot about that. Although with VRD you do retail the metadata.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #16
jcthorne

Quote:
You're right, I forgot about that. Although with VRD you do retail the metadata.
I'd upgrade my VRD just for the metadata but it only works with ts type TiVo files. And those are very much not portable to other devices.

Now if VRD could build mp4 files with all meta data contained AND pytivo could push them with the meta data intact, THAT would be something worth spending money to upgrade for. Can the latest VRD build TiVo compatible mp4 files with metadata?

For the moment I work with the older mpeg2 VRD for editing etc and let PD software handle the conversion to mp4.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Unfortunately TiVo encrypts the metadata and there is no legal way for us to decrypt it. For the video we can tap into the DLL they provide with TiVo Desktop, but there is no such DLL for metadata. We could use tivodecode, but we'd run the risk of being sued under the DMCA. I've tried to talk to TiVo several times about licensing an offical method for doing this but they have never come through.

I'm thinking about possibly adding a feature where you can bring your own tivodecode. Basically if you can point VRD at a copy of tivodecode that you provide then we can decrypt the metadata. No guarantee on that feature though.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
jcthorne

Quote:
Unfortunately TiVo encrypts the metadata and there is no legal way for us to decrypt it. For the video we can tap into the DLL they provide with TiVo Desktop, but there is no such DLL for metadata. We could use tivodecode, but we'd run the risk of being sued under the DMCA. I've tried to talk to TiVo several times about licensing an offical method for doing this but they have never come through.

I'm thinking about possibly adding a feature where you can bring your own tivodecode. Basically if you can point VRD at a copy of tivodecode that you provide then we can decrypt the metadata. No guarantee on that feature though.
That would be a very useful feature. Let us know if it comes to be. Would get me to upgrade....

Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
ggieseke

Quote:
That would be great.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote