TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
adamhochman

Kids shows on Roamio-help me convince the wife

Hello,
First time poster here. I have Fios and am seriously thinking about getting the Roamio as Fios' DVR is behind the times.

The challenge I'm having is getting the dreaded buy-in from my wife. It's primarily due to the kids' on demand programming. My kids are used to Fios on-demand and she is concerned we won't have the same amount of choices with Tivo (since VOD isn't available with Fios when you have Tivo).

I know I can just record a lot of kid's shows but what about streaming on the Roamio? Admittedly we don't stream much now (primarily due to the fact that I have trouble with a wireless stream from my router to the blu ray player). From a little research I've done it seems Moca will correct my wireless streaming issues as I'll have a wired connection (please correct me if I'm wrong). Assuming that's the case, what is available via the Roamio's apps/channels? I'm not going to pay for more TV so Netflix isn't an option. What kids programming is available for free via Roamio's apps (youtube?)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Adam
adamhochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
s10023

i would say if you just record all the kids shows your kids like you are much better off than fios on demand which i have found to be rather limited. so i'm not sure why you would prefer streaming when you can record and play.
s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

The streaming services available via TiVo are mostly pay, like Netflix and Hulu. They do have a YouTube app available, but I'm not sure how much full content there is on YouTube or how easy it is to find.

One options you might have is to get a standard, non-DVR, box from FIOS and use that for VOD. I do this with Charter. I have a simple cable box connected in addition to my TiVo and I use it whenever I want to watch something on demand.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

There are web videos available, but I'm not sure how to get them any longer or if they have true quality content for children.

But, if your kids are able to navigate youtube, then I would just set up a bunch of season passes and turn on suggestions for them.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
scole250

Tivo was gold for recording kids shows as my son was younger. He learned to use the Tivo at an early age and we helped him season pass at least half a dozen shows. Always had 10-20 of each to choose from. And going on vacation...use Slingbox and they can watch their shows on any PC, tablet or smart phone anywhere you have an internet connection.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Bluesfan77

I do not have FIOS, but do they have a basic box? If so, you could have a basic box on a different input on the TV and you would still have your VOD.
Bluesfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
s10023

Again, what is the benefit of streaming/vod when the shows are on the air all the time and can be recorded and played back just as easily?
s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
Again, what is the benefit of streaming/vod when the shows are on the air all the time and can be recorded and played back just as easily?
Especially when they play the same one over and over and over...
Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Tivo was gold for recording kids shows as my son was younger. He learned to use the Tivo at an early age and we helped him season pass at least half a dozen shows. Always had 10-20 of each to choose from. And going on vacation...use Slingbox and they can watch their shows on any PC, tablet or smart phone anywhere you have an internet connection.
+1. My kid is only 5 and he's using it daily. Sling is a must for OOH here due to CCI issues, but in-home using the TiVo app to watch on his ipod. I see no needs for additional Apps/Channels; Roamio meets our "kids" needs nicely.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote