TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
gormly2

Roamio No sound on one channel - Mini connection

So I have a new roamio, have had it for a while.
I also have one other Tivo (premiere) that I am replacing with the roamio.
All seems ok except for the following:

1. On one channel I get no sound. (ABC) the weird thing is that our cable system has both HD and SD broadcasts, on BOTH of these channels I get no sound. All other channels seem fine. Because the wife watches pretty much only ABC.. this is a problem.

On the premiere all is well, sound on both, on the roamio.. no sound.

2. I have a new mini and if I let it sit a while it gets live TV and I can use the channel buttons up or down to change channels but as soon as I try to go to Tivo central I get "Living Room Cannot be found", then if I go to live TV again, it bongs out. I let it sit for a long while or reboot, we get live TV again.
Obviously the mini is setup right or I would not get any live TV (it's Ethernet)

3. The video from the roamio has lower contrast (very grey-ish) in the video picture, all channels even menus.. it's weird.

can someone shed some light please?
gormly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormly2 View Post
So I have a new roamio, have had it for a while.
I also have one other Tivo (premiere) that I am replacing with the roamio.
All seems ok except for the following:

1. On one channel I get no sound. (ABC) the weird thing is that our cable system has both HD and SD broadcasts, on BOTH of these channels I get no sound. All other channels seem fine. Because the wife watches pretty much only ABC.. this is a problem.

On the premiere all is well, sound on both, on the roamio.. no sound.

2. I have a new mini and if I let it sit a while it gets live TV and I can use the channel buttons up or down to change channels but as soon as I try to go to Tivo central I get "Living Room Cannot be found", then if I go to live TV again, it bongs out. I let it sit for a long while or reboot, we get live TV again.
Obviously the mini is setup right or I would not get any live TV (it's Ethernet)

3. The video from the roamio has lower contrast (very grey-ish) in the video picture, all channels even menus.. it's weird.

can someone shed some light please?
If you pause the Roamio and then unpause it, do you then hear audio? I've seen something like this OTA with my Premiere which I believe was caused by some anomaly in the data stream. It could be some issue with the cable feed for ABC which the Premiere tolerates better than the Roamio does.

"Living Room Cannot be found" from the Mini sounds like it could be a network error, but I can't explain it.

Are you seeing the lower contrast video from the Roamio when connecting it to the exact same (HDMI?) input as the Premiere. If it's a different input, make sure they are adjusted similarly.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
gormly2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you pause the Roamio and then unpause it, do you then hear audio? I've seen something like this OTA with my Premiere which I believe was caused by some anomaly in the data stream. It could be some issue with the cable feed for ABC which the Premiere tolerates better than the Roamio does.

"Living Room Cannot be found" from the Mini sounds like it could be a network error, but I can't explain it.

Are you seeing the lower contrast video from the Roamio when connecting it to the exact same (HDMI?) input as the Premiere. If it's a different input, make sure they are adjusted similarly.
Thank you, I tried pausing it, no luck, even switching back and forth between channels immediately, nothing it's just weird. No sound at all on those two ABC channels

I will try the HDMI port for the color. It is possible the HDMI port has an issue or the cable maybe, will swap and report back.

I got the new XBOX today so will wait until I start messing with input (oh joy)

I am not sure why this would have a network issue the mini seems to see the other tivo just fine (on guided setup) and I can see the other tivo and play videos via the roamio also, so it's just all around weird, all wired direct also.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
gormly2

So I hooked everything up and tried 2 different HDMI cables, tried different two different HDMI outputs and the channel sound is still gone and the contrast is still off. The contrast is somewhat fixable via the TV menu but then all the other inputs are too bright etc...

frustrating, this seems to be a roamio problem exclusively.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormly2 View Post
So I hooked everything up and tried 2 different HDMI cables, tried different two different HDMI outputs and the channel sound is still gone and the contrast is still off. The contrast is somewhat fixable via the TV menu but then all the other inputs are too bright etc...

frustrating, this seems to be a roamio problem exclusively.
You could have a defective Roamio box.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
gormly2

if anyone is reading this thread, my roamio fixed itself.. not sure why, but all is good now, I did not do anything it just started working properly after a few days