TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #211
doydel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
After hooking up my Tivo HD through the X1, I noticed immediate degradation in the video quality. The image is darker, there's banding in any gradients, and there's possibly some black crush.

I'm seeing issues here on my Tivo HD. Whenever I do a trickplay feature (skip back, 30 sec skip forward, fast forward, or rewind), the screen either freezes or goes black. I lose all Tivo audio as well. After I stop the trickplay and return to normal playback, it can take up to 10+ seconds for the video and audio to return. This makes it pretty useless to me. When this happens, just skipping back once isn't necessarily enough time for it to fix itself, so I skip back twice, and then I wonder why I would have this hooked up like this.

What video output option are people using? I originally was on Native, but then switched to 1080i after I started getting the a/v dropouts.
If you adjust the IR speed to fast it will fix the freezing and black screen issues when using the tivo remote through the xbox. At least it worked for me on my Tivo HD...
doydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #212
Keen

Why would adjusting the speed of the Xbox's IR commands do anything? It looks like it's just an HDMI issue...? I'm using my Harmony to control the Tivo, I have zero desire to control my TiVo via the Xbox.

Edit: Did some Googling.
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x...t/1629181.aspx

Turning off the beta surround sound setting fixed this, at the cost of 3 precious sound channels.

Last edited by Keen : 12-03-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #213
muzzymate

Quote:
Turning off the beta surround sound setting fixed this, at the cost of 3 precious sound channels.
Yuck. What an ugly solution! Now I'm not so excited for this anymore. I guess that's why they deemed this "beta".
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #214
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
Yuck. What an ugly solution! Now I'm not so excited for this anymore. I guess that's why they deemed this "beta".
The beta setting works fine with my Roamio basic. Although my problem is that the remote code the XBOne uses is zero, so it will also control my Premiere and Roamio Pro in the same room. I need to be able to choose remote codes 1 through 9 so I can individually control my Roamio Basic.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #215
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I was having a problem with my Roamio basic that, after having been de-selected on my AVR for several hours, it would be "out of sync" with HDMI, not displaying video or playing sound. Toggling it into and out of standby would give me video, but I had to do a warm restart to get sound back. With its output run through my splitter, so that I could have it connected to the AVR and Xbox One at the same time, that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm not using the console for TV watching but I may have gotten some benefit for setting up for it .

EDIT: Should have knocked wood . No sooner do I post this that Roamio does this again, although this time I got sound back by just toggling standby without having to restart.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 12-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #216
Grakthis

I haven't had any of the interface issues some people are describing ITT.

The only voice commands I use (w/r/t TV) are channel changing to a specific channel (I love that I just say ESPN and it goes to ESPN. Having to know channel numbers is absolutely the dumbest thing about the TiVo and it infuriates me that TiVo hasn't taken the lead in banishing this outdated paradigm of TV) and pause/resume.

I love being able to get up to use the bathroom, and on my way out of the room, say "TiVo Pause" or if I can't find the remote, I can pause while I look for it, or whatever. And then resuming on the way back in. I love that.

The rest of the features (one guide, other commands, TV control, etc) are not very good.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #217
b_scott
TiVo Fan

guys, how is the channel guide overlay from the X1 working for you? I assume it doesn't interfere with the Tivo's own menus/guides?
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #218
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
guys, how is the channel guide overlay from the X1 working for you? I assume it doesn't interfere with the Tivo's own menus/guides?
It works great. It doesn't interfere with TiVo if you don't want it to. If you want to 100% use the TiVo menus/interface, once you have the TV app running, you can completely ignore the rest of the Xbox One interface and just use your remote like normal.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #219
b_scott
TiVo Fan

awesome. so you just put in your cable provider and location, and it sets it up so it knows the channels?
Old 12-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #220
JosephB

Quote:
awesome. so you just put in your cable provider and location, and it sets it up so it knows the channels?
Yup, exactly. And then you tell it what kind of cable box, TV, and AV receiver you have and it will setup the IR codes for those as well.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #221
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Having to know channel numbers is absolutely the dumbest thing about the TiVo and it infuriates me that TiVo hasn't taken the lead in banishing this outdated paradigm of TV...
You don't have to know channel numbers and I'm only aware of a couple. You can page through the guide until you find what you want, sorting and filtering it multiple ways, including by channel name, or search the guide for the name of the channel. It's certainly not as convenient as voice commands but there's really nothing TiVo could do short of voice commands to make it easier.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 12-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #222
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
they'll fix it. You also can't get 5.1 out of the output of the optical jack either. it's coming.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #223
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I have the Tivo split to my receiver and to the Xbox One with a powered simultaneous splitter. I have sound set to 5.1 uncompressed

Any time I change a channel I lose sound completely. I feel like there's some handshake issue going on.

edit: somehow turning the Tivo to PCM and back has fixed the issue I think.

However, i've noticed the OneGuide won't do a thing if you haven't already hit "Live TV" on your remote, so it's kind of pointless.

also, hitting "back" if you're watching a show to go to Tivo Central blacks the screen out for about 5-7 seconds.

Last edited by b_scott : 12-10-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #224
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
I'm not concerned about privacy, I'm concerned about energy consumption. I'm also waiting to see that leaving it on doesn't damage the unit itself, despite reports of being designed to "stay on for 10 years." When I start reading more detailed data on the effects of leaving it on I'll reconsider my opinion.

As for the lag, it is what it is. I don't expect everyone to have the same issues but I know of others having similar problems. Like I said, I expect a patch to address these issues. I'm very glad your experience has been a good one, other than my concerns it has been for me as well.
my PC is on 24/7. So is my server. They're fine, and the X1 will be as well. Power consumption is minimal in the grand scheme of things. I never understood techies depriving themselves of convenience to save a few watts.

Side Note:

Does anyone here use a Harmony One remote? I can't figure out how to switch to Xbox One's activity yet use the Tivo's remote buttons. Since the Tivo isn't used in the activity and is on another input (I have it split), I don't think it will work. I have to fake switch to "Watch Tivo" on my remote and cover the IR transmitter so it doesn't change inputs.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #225
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
I never understood techies depriving themselves of convenience to save a few watts.
I'm one such techie. I'll bet the Xbox One draws 70 watts or more while viewing TV through it, increasing the power used watching TiVo (video devices) by a factor of 6. I found it to be an awkward experience at best, offering no real convenience improvement at all over watching my TiVo controlled by IR remote. YMMV.

Quote:
Does anyone here use a Harmony One remote? I can't figure out how to switch to Xbox One's activity yet use the Tivo's remote buttons.
I use a Harmony One and was doing the same thing you were when I tried TV through Xbox One, but it strikes me that I could have defined a "Watch Xbox One TV" activity using the Xbox One and TiVo with the relevant buttons mapped to TiVo commands.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 12-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #226
Keen

Played a bunch of Peggle 2 last night while watching TV. I'm pretty sold on the benefits of running the Tivo through the X1. Now they just need to improve the TV image quality and get surround sound working, and I'll be a happy camper.
Quote:
Does anyone here use a Harmony One remote? I can't figure out how to switch to Xbox One's activity yet use the Tivo's remote buttons. Since the Tivo isn't used in the activity and is on another input (I have it split), I don't think it will work. I have to fake switch to "Watch Tivo" on my remote and cover the IR transmitter so it doesn't change inputs.
I made 2 Activities. One for Watch TV where all the buttons on the remote control the Tivo. Another for Play X1, where all the buttons on the remote control the X1.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #227
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Played a bunch of Peggle 2 last night while watching TV. I'm pretty sold on the benefits of running the Tivo through the X1. Now they just need to improve the TV image quality and get surround sound working, and I'll be a happy camper.

I made 2 Activities. One for Watch TV where all the buttons on the remote control the Tivo. Another for Play X1, where all the buttons on the remote control the X1.
Surround sound is working with my Roamio Basic going into my XBOne. The problem is the audio output is not dynamic on the XBOne so it does not match the number of input channels like it should. SO I have mine on 7.1 PCM output. SO whether the content is 2.0 or 5.1 or anything in between, the XBOne will output in 7.1 wrapper with dead channels for anything beyond the number of source audio channels. The PS3 and 360 had this issue too. Over the years it was corrected with most of the apps but it was never corrected for everything. I hope MS does a better job with the XBOne.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #228
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Surround sound is working with my Roamio Basic going into my XBOne.
I don't have a Roamio, so none of this applies to me. Enabling the feature breaks all trickplay features really badly on my Tivo HD, so it must be disabled for now.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #229
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post

I use a Harmony One and was doing the same thing you were when I tried TV through Xbox One, but it strikes me that I could have defined a "Watch Xbox One TV" activity using the Xbox One and TiVo with the relevant buttons mapped to TiVo commands.
thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Might do that.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #230
Grakthis

Quote:
Yes, but the Xbox One guide is awful. It's unusable. I mean, I guess if you had a regular cable box, maybe it's better than that? But compared to the TiVo guide, it's just bad.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #231
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
You don't have to know channel numbers and I'm only aware of a couple. You can page through the guide until you find what you want, sorting and filtering it multiple ways, including by channel name, or search the guide for the name of the channel. It's certainly not as convenient as voice commands but there's really nothing TiVo could do short of voice commands to make it easier.
If you're paging through the guide, you're functionally paging through channel numbers, in order by channel. That's no different than knowing the channel numbers, except you're too lazy to memorize them, so you scan to find them.

TiVo could use the slide remote to allow me to type the channel name and filter by what I've typed. Either channel name or show name. Without having to hit 'search' and leave what I am doing. It should work right within the guide, the same way universal search on an android device works.

They could also allow me to build a custom guide, which includes only specific channels I care about, and have that guide replace the basic guide. Yes, favorites SORT of does this, but it's not the same at all, because favorites is its own thing and doesn't replace the guide.

They could know based on the channel information what category channels fall in to, and allow me to choose "sports", "local", "movies" as categories and show only those categories. They could do this by having a simple set of folders at the top of the guide that let's me quickly toggle the view.

TiVo could also filter by what is currently showing, in the same way as above w/r/t channel information. So instead of ESPN always being "sports" it would only be "sports" when a game is actually on, for example.

There's a million things TiVo could do to break the "channel number" paradigm for guide organization.

Let me put it this way... does anyone here memorize more than a small handful of phone numbers anymore? Do any of you store phone numbers in your phone ordered by number? Do any of you know the IP Address of google.com by heart? No. Of course you don't. Because memorizing numbers is stupid and awful when what we really care about is what is the thing those numbers represent.

The fact that I have to flip through a guide ordered by NUMBER instead of one ordered by channel name, category, HD/Non-HD or whatever other organizational method makes sense to me is a joke. It's easily the biggest failing of TiVo since it falls RIGHT INTO TiVo's core functionality (as a cable box). Forget all of the streaming and digital content... TiVo is a cable box first, and they could differentiate themselves from other cable boxes by doing the guide RIGHT.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #232
Grakthis

Quote:
What image quality issues have you noticed? Once I tell it to stop listening, the image quality looks the same to me. But I also haven't gotten up close and really studied it.

I'm also sold on the benefits of running the TiVo through the Xbox One, though, this morning I had my first "dammit" moment, when my Tivo had to install an update before I could watch TV. That was frustrating, but ultimately not a huge deal. I would say it probably took about 30 seconds?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #233
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
They could know based on the channel information what category channels fall in to, and allow me to choose "sports", "local", "movies" as categories and show only those categories. They could do this by having a simple set of folders at the top of the guide that let's me quickly toggle the view.

There's a million things TiVo could do to break the "channel number" paradigm for guide organization.
It sounds like you haven't played around much with the new 'C' functionality within the guide (hit the C button after getting into the TiVo guide). It does a lot of what you want, including what you want above, though based on individual shows rather than channel categories.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #234
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
It sounds like you haven't played around much with the new 'C' functionality within the guide (hit the C button after getting into the TiVo guide). It does a lot of what you want, including what you want above, though based on individual shows rather than channel categories.
???

No, I am not even aware of a "C" button feature. Is this on my Premiere?

I'll try it out, but is there a thread where people discuss this and what it does?

I mean, the #1 primary feature I want is the slide remote search. It's such a basic and obvious feature that it continuously blows my mind that I cannot slide out the pad, type "CBSHD" and hit enter and have it jump to CBSHD. Yet, my Xbox One lets me say "Watch CBS" and it goes right to it.

It even smartly tunes the HD version without requiring me to say HD!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #235
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
What image quality issues have you noticed? Once I tell it to stop listening, the image quality looks the same to me. But I also haven't gotten up close and really studied it.

I'm also sold on the benefits of running the TiVo through the Xbox One, though, this morning I had my first "dammit" moment, when my Tivo had to install an update before I could watch TV. That was frustrating, but ultimately not a huge deal. I would say it probably took about 30 seconds?
my problem originally was that I had the color space set to PC full level - once I changed my X1 to TV normal whites, everything looked fine. Otherwise it's too dark.

I think it's really convenient to say "Xbox Watch TBS" without picking up the remote, or remembering what channel that is - or searching in a guide. The problem is, we don't watch much Live TV, and you can't control the Tivo other than when it's in Live TV mode. You can pause/play/etc if a recording it already playing, but you can't get to it without the remote.

I don't know what "C" function is being talked about.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #236
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
???

No, I am not even aware of a "C" button feature. Is this on my Premiere?

I'll try it out, but is there a thread where people discuss this and what it does?

I mean, the #1 primary feature I want is the slide remote search. It's such a basic and obvious feature that it continuously blows my mind that I cannot slide out the pad, type "CBSHD" and hit enter and have it jump to CBSHD. Yet, my Xbox One lets me say "Watch CBS" and it goes right to it.

It even smartly tunes the HD version without requiring me to say HD!
Yes, it's on the Premiere.

I haven't seen any thread talking about it, which is a shame. I think it's a nice feature that if it were just a bit more flexible would take the place of much Wishlist functionality for me.

I agree the search for channel is clumsy now. You can hit "Guide" then "Enter", and then use the slide remote pad for "CBS", but after that you have to go select the right search result from both shows and channels. I'd rather be placed in a restricted search environment and just be searching for channel name/affiliation, as you suggest.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #237
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The problem is, we don't watch much Live TV, and you can't control the Tivo other than when it's in Live TV mode.
That doesn't make much sense to me (at least from a technical perspective) since the IR commands sent to play/pause/instant replay/skip/FF/RW are the same when watching recorded programs as they are when watching Live TV.

Indeed, some folks in other threads are reporting success being able to (voice) control the TiVo with those commands in both circumstances.

Interestingly enough, others had been reporting problems controlling the TiVo when it was playing back live TV, only being able to get it to work with recorded programs (basically the reverse of what you reported) and then responses came in like this one that report it working on both:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
"Under Settings / TV and One Guide" I just entered 'Tivo' as my cable box.

You can tell it is working because when you are watching TV and just say 'Xbox', when the green text normally appears on your screen prompting you with the words you can say, at the bottom will also be prompts for FF, REW, Pause, Skip, etc.

So I can just say 'Xbox Pause' when watching something (even when it isn't a recorded show),and then 'Xbox Play' to start it up again.

Edit to add: maybe the capitalization is important. I have it as 'Tivo', with a capital T, under the "Cable or Satellite Box Brand".
(emphasis mine)

So perhaps it works with some TiVo models and not others?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #238
Grakthis

Quote:
my problem originally was that I had the color space set to PC full level - once I changed my X1 to TV normal whites, everything looked fine. Otherwise it's too dark.
I haven't had that problem. It doesn't look any darker than normal, to me, except when the guide or voice command is up.

Quote:
I think it's really convenient to say "Xbox Watch TBS" without picking up the remote, or remembering what channel that is - or searching in a guide. The problem is, we don't watch much Live TV, and you can't control the Tivo other than when it's in Live TV mode. You can pause/play/etc if a recording it already playing, but you can't get to it without the remote.
Right. 99% of the time, it is me saying "Watch ESPN2" at like 6:30 AM when I sit down to eat my cereal and watch Mike & Mike. Sometimes I use it on Sundays (NFL) and Saturdays (College Football) too. But it's basically always sports. Otherwise, I am channel surfing (using the TiVo guide) or watching something recorded, and the xbox plays no role there.

We do use the "pause" and "play" commands a lot. When watching something recorded, its nice to be able to just say "pause" without having to find the remote. I also use it a lot when my daughter is watching her shows and isn't listening to me when I talk to her. It's nice to just say "Xbox Pause" rather than have to go find the remote. And then when it's paused, she looks at me, and listens.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #239
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
That doesn't make much sense to me (at least from a technical perspective) since the IR commands sent to play/pause/instant replay/skip/FF/RW are the same when watching recorded programs as they are when watching Live TV.

Indeed, some folks in other threads are reporting success being able to (voice) control the TiVo with those commands in both circumstances.

Interestingly enough, others had been reporting problems controlling the TiVo when it was playing back live TV, only being able to get it to work with recorded programs (basically the reverse of what you reported) and then responses came in like this one that report it working on both:

(emphasis mine)

So perhaps it works with some TiVo models and not others?
It's an IR blaster. It doesn't make any sense for it to work with some and not others, unless the IR codes were different across models.

edit: in other words "yes, I agree, that makes no sense."
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #240
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
did you read the the sentence? It works when controlling recordings, but you can't get TO them. I.E. the Tivo Central show listing.