TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #31
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
$1600 over two years for a Roamio and two Minis. If that's not a lot of money to you please pay my bills.
Yes, that's a lot of money.

But compare it to the (closest to) equivalent you would pay for cable/satellite boxes.

It's probably close if not cheaper with Tivo, right?

And Tivos have FEWER and LESS INTRUSIVE ads than I've seen on cable boxes.

Do I like the ads? NO. Am I "defending" them? I guess you could argue I am, but if it's "less bad" than the competition, that's a comparatively good thing (yes I'm stating a tautology).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #32
jntc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht View Post
FYI, for those of you that use universal remotes, you can make a macro for PAUSE that contains the pause command and the down arrow command so it will automatically remove the ad.
Brilliant
jntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #33
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
$1600 over two years for a Roamio and two Minis. If that's not a lot of money to you please pay my bills.
It must suck that you were forced to do this, that you had no choice and these ads came out of nowhere.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #34
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntc View Post
Brilliant
compared to the ads on a DTV guide, these are downright invisible.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
It must suck that you were forced to do this, that you had no choice and these ads came out of nowhere.
It does suck that the best of the worst still has ads, yes.

edit: You sound like you're holding out on me. Please inform my ignorant brain of all of the competitive options that don't display ads.

Last edited by tivohaydon : 12-10-2013 at 10:07 AM.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #36
SullyND
L: 14-49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
compared to the ads on a DTV guide, these are downright invisible.
Yeah, but you pay for the TiVo service and DirecTV is fr... Er, never mind. At least PBS has no ads... Wait.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #37
PalmTrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Pissing us off?? Who wouldn't want an ad for a $1 paper towel coupon spamming a giant block of their TV screen incessantly and without rate limiting for months on end? ...
Yeah, I don't know. It's an untested, clueless Tivo act. If they did have a clue, they'd be deliberately annoying people at this point. Maybe they have a quota.
Big Jim --

Within a decade, you might wish for the days that all you saw was a paper towel ad.

Read through TiVo's most recent 10-K filing and you'll see discussion on their purchase of TRA Global.

Basically, TiVo implies they'll be doing much more micro-targeting of ads to households. They'll probably begin to combine their information with detailed files from outside data brokers on consumers.

So, in 2018, after you've done a search for oatmeal or a car -- or bought medicine at CVS with your loyalty card -- you may turn on your TiVo, only to see ads for those exact products or complementary goods.
PalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #38
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTrees View Post
So, in 2018, after you've done a search for oatmeal or a car -- or bought medicine at CVS with your loyalty card -- you may turn on your TiVo, only to see ads for those exact products or complementary goods.
As long as they are geared toward something I might use, that might actually make the ads more tolerable for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
katemo1

I can no longer skip ads or even portions of shows. When I try, to use fast forward and then play, it returns to the same ad I am skipping. While watching during FF it seems like you are moving forward but are not. Also the clock is not timing correctly. Anyone else facing this? So far only on a few chanels (VHI). This is my third TIVO and I am devastated.
katemo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
JSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

But compare it to the (closest to) equivalent you would pay for cable/satellite boxes.

It's probably close if not cheaper with Tivo, right?

And Tivos have FEWER and LESS INTRUSIVE ads than I've seen on cable boxes.
Just curious - there are ads on cable boxes? I don't have any ads on my cable box from Time Warner (which runs parallel to my Premiere) and I'm sure they wouldn't miss up on the opportunity. Frankly, I suspect the cost of my TiVos are near the cost of my cable/satellite boxes (I have TWC and Directv) because of grandfathered rates.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #41
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katemo1 View Post
I can no longer skip ads or even portions of shows. When I try, to use fast forward and then play, it returns to the same ad I am skipping. While watching during FF it seems like you are moving forward but are not. Also the clock is not timing correctly. Anyone else facing this? So far only on a few chanels (VHI). This is my third TIVO and I am devastated.
That is odd behavior. Sounds like a reboot is in order, followed by a connection to the TiVo service.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by katemo1 View Post
You joined TCF 5 years ago and this is your first post?

What previous model TiVos have you had and what model do you currently have?

What you've go going on sounds much too "designed" to be a bug or glitch.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #43
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Just curious - there are ads on cable boxes? I don't have any ads on my cable box from Time Warner (which runs parallel to my Premiere) and I'm sure they wouldn't miss up on the opportunity. Frankly, I suspect the cost of my TiVos are near the cost of my cable/satellite boxes (I have TWC and Directv) because of grandfathered rates.
Not even boxes for upcoming shows or PPV? At least some of those are ads. (Like the discovery bar on Tivo -- but I'm not claiming they're necessarily ads on Tivo, though the stupid paper towel one of course is.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #44
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCTVO View Post
I've noticed more and more ads and they are more and more intrusive. They occur larger than ever on the STOP bar (when pause, fast-forward, etc.), they are appearing now in "My Shows", and other places

It bothers me that I purchased my TIVO box and am paying a monthly subscription fee. I should not be inundated with ads for a service that I a paying for.

Does anyone agree with me?
I haven't noticed. Nothing TiVo has done has prevented me from watching my content the way I've always done. If they ever interfere with that then I will have an issue. But everything has been unobtrusive so far.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTrees View Post
Big Jim --

Within a decade, you might wish for the days that all you saw was a paper towel ad.

Read through TiVo's most recent 10-K filing and you'll see discussion on their purchase of TRA Global.

Basically, TiVo implies they'll be doing much more micro-targeting of ads to households. They'll probably begin to combine their information with detailed files from outside data brokers on consumers.

That sounds perfect. I would prefer for ads to be targeted to me for something I am interested in. If I have an interest in them, and I notice the ad, then I might look at them.

I have looked at stuff on the TiVos over the years that has caught my eye. I have no problem with it. And I've received discounts or coupons because of it. Someone mentioned the Bounty coupon. Mine showed up recently. My GF uses Bounty so I will give it to her the next time I see her. A $1 off coupon is like having a dollar bill in your hand. And they do add up over time.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #46
t1voproof

I want to thank TiVo for introducing me to Charmin Tailgating Potties!
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #47
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
And the ads aren't just beyond useless to my house at this point, it's blown back in their faces. We hate Carbonite now, and as hard as it is to "hate" a paper towel, Bounty isn't far behind.

100% agree.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote