TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 58 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
s10023

Amazon Streaming / Amazon Prime

Does anyone know when/if Amazon streaming is coming to the roamio? i suspect that once streaming is implemented it will support amazon prime (free) streaming.
s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

We continue to hope, pray, but mostly wait. They haven't really said a peep yet.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

At least they have Netflix. And netflix accounts for twenty times the Internet download bandwidth than Amazon.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
At least they have Netflix. And netflix accounts for twenty times the Internet download bandwidth than Amazon.
Little comfort to those who watch shows on amazon.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
pautler

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
Does anyone know when/if Amazon streaming is coming to the roamio? i suspect that once streaming is implemented it will support amazon prime (free) streaming.
I recently opened a support ticket with both Amazon and TiVo regarding this question, and the answer that I got back from both sides was along the lines of "we're always looking to improve services and offer additional support. Be sure to watch for our future press releases!"

I'd suggest that anyone & everyone who is interested in this functionality should consider opening a ticket and/or submitting a 'feature request' for it. Perhaps more demand might move it up on the priority list. Or not.

TiVo feature request form:
http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx

TiVo support ticket submission:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1279

Amazon streaming support:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/digital-video

-Joe
pautler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
zubinh

I don't get it. Why two of my most used platforms - TiVo and Apple TV dont have have Prime Streaming. I'm hoping now that Airplay is enabled for Amzon Prime Streaming on iOS devices that an Amazon Prime Apple TV app is not too far away.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

The response I got from Amazon:
Quote:
Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. You can purchase and download, but not stream, Amazon Instant Video titles to your TiVo. Because streaming is not supported at this time, you can't stream Prime Instant Video titles on your TiVo.

I've also contacted TiVo support about the possible date when we can see the streaming support for Prime but they were of no help.

I've forwarded your message to our Amazon Instant Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of using our digital video service.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Siva Krishna

| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek View Post
The response I got from Amazon: I've also contacted TiVo support about the possible date when we can see the streaming support for Prime but they were of no help.
Sounds like Amazon is experiencing the same issue that many of us encounter when dealing with TiVo support.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Sent Amazon's response to TiVo and got this back:

Quote:
Hello Stephen,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with your questions today.

We do apologize, but we currently do not have any further details of when or if Amazon Prime will be available on the TiVo box. We do apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any further questions, please contact us again.

The reference number for this inquiry is XXXXXX-XXXXXX. Please refer to this number if you choose to contact us again regarding this request. In order to reply to this email, please log into My Support at www.tivo.com/mysupport. Replies directly to this email will not be received.

Sincerely,
Sarah

TiVo Customer Support Representative
www.tivo.com/support
http://forums.tivo.com

| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
s10023

Can someone from TiVo who monitors these boards please respond as to whether Amazon Prime streaming is on the near-term horizon?
s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
rainwater

Quote:
Can someone from TiVo who monitors these boards please respond as to whether Amazon Prime streaming is on the near-term horizon?
They would never release that info here before any official announcement.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
monkeydust

Quote:
The only comment I've seen TiVo make on that was that they can't comment on that.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
keenanSR

The last survey TiVo sent out to me seemed to focus on extra features and touched on streaming video, I kept driving home the need for for Amazon Prime streaming every opportunity the survey gave me.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
PLargent

I have Amazon downloads

I have a new (less than two weeks old) TiVo Roamio and it has Amazon working on it. I was asked to provide my amazon account ID, amazon password, then had to read an email sent to me, then register the Roamio as one of my devices and finally required to create a 5 digit pin to authorize charges. That all worked.

I am an Amazon Prime member so I expected all videos to be free. I found out there are two categories of videos on Amazon. Some are eligible for Prime and those are free while others are non-Prime and cost to download. I was looking to download some CBS TV shows and it wanted $2.99 each for the HD versions.

I picked a free video and it was downloaded into the Roamio and appeared on the list with all the other videos that I had recorded from live TV. I did not try to stream (watch it while it was downloading) but I was able to watch the video and it used the normal buttons (pause, play, jump forward etc) that I have when watching other recorded videos. It was not like Netflix that has me use a slightly different user interface.

The search engine does find videos available from Amazon. They get put on the to-do list and get downloaded. They showed up by the next morning so I don't know exactly how soon/fast they got downloaded. I do get asked to pay for the non-Prime shows and enter that 5 digit PIN code. I assume these costs will be charged by amazon to the credit card I have on file. I am cheap, so I haven't tried purchasing a video yet.
PLargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
nws alpine

Amazon videos are supported for download but Prime instant streaming isn't yet. No word from Amazon if they will update their app or not.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
Amazon videos are supported for download but Prime instant streaming isn't yet. No word from Amazon if they will update their app or not.
The lack of Prime instant streaming is becoming even more of an annoyance as Amazon expands their original content such as Alphas and Betas, I had to hookup and use my PS3 to view Alphas, it would have been so much more convenient just to use the Roamio.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
Drmunk

I would be happy with a simple update.... especially when compared to Netflix.
Drmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
bhinners

Amazon Prime Unhappiness

After being a Tivo early adopter with a series 1 many years ago followed by a DirecTV model, I departed the fold by cutting the cord and using an HTPC. I rejoined the Tivo community this past weekend with a new Roamio Basic. As a cord-cutter, the biggest issue I have with my new Roamio is the lack of Amazon Prime.

Over the past several weeks, Amazon Prime has been winning an increasing share of eyeball time in our house. It's effectively free since we were paying for Prime before it included videos and it makes a great complement to the Netflix DVD plan (which has a much different movie selection than streaming plans do). The combination of Netflix DVD plus Amazon Prime has been delivering an acceptable content selection.

It's especially frustrating that Amazon Prime doesn't work on the Roamio because it works so well on the much cheaper Roku I bought years ago. It's puzzling to me that Tivo could release the Roamio with such a step backward relative to one of their major competitors. Do I now need to buy another Roku to sit beside the Tivo just for Amazon Prime?

I'll try submitting a feature request or support request as others have suggested, but I wanted to voice my concerns here, too, on the off chance that Tivo monitors this forum.

Thanks for listening,
B
bhinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Old Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
So what makes streaming better than downloading?
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
So what makes streaming better than downloading?
It's the only way that Amazon serves Prime videos. (?)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #21
mdm08033

Quote:
Originally Posted by pautler View Post
I recently opened a support ticket with both Amazon and TiVo regarding this question, and the answer that I got back from both sides was along the lines of "we're always looking to improve services and offer additional support. Be sure to watch for our future press releases!"

I'd suggest that anyone & everyone who is interested in this functionality should consider opening a ticket and/or submitting a 'feature request' for it. Perhaps more demand might move it up on the priority list. Or not.

TiVo feature request form:
http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx

TiVo support ticket submission:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1279

Amazon streaming support:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/digital-video

-Joe
Don't forget to send an e-mail to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. His email address is Jeff@Amazon.com
mdm08033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhinners View Post
Aa step backward relative to one of their major competitors.
If you are referring to Amazon as a major competitor to Tivo, then you are correct. If you are suggesting Roku is a real competitor to Tivo, you are mistaken.

I, too, would gladly welcome Amazon Prime streaming to Roamio. I'm not sure if it will ever arrive.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
bhinners

Got my response from support

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with feature requests. At this time there are no official announcements for Amazon Prime, so we don't have a time frame for any possible Roamio update. Hopefully that will come soon though.

The reference number for this inquiry is XXXXXX-XXXXXX. Please refer to this number if you choose to contact us again regarding this request. In order to reply to this email, please log into My Support at www.tivo.com/mysupport. Replies directly to this email will not be received.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #24
simon7

This request has been banging around for nearly three years now. Tivo apparently doesn't care how many threads we make requesting Prime streaming.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
keenanSR

I don't even know why it's in the TiVo software, the app in it's current form is garbage, remove it and use the HDD and menu space for something useful.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
kturcotte

I don't think Amazon is interested in bringing it's streaming to more devices. They don't have it onAndr oid either. I've contacted them about it before, and their response is that they offer it on their Kindle Fire tablets and that I should get one of those.
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7 View Post
This request has been banging around for nearly three years now. Tivo apparently doesn't care how many threads we make requesting Prime streaming.
TiVo can't force a company to support a platform they do not wish to support. Clearly Amazon feels the < 1 million TiVo retail users as too small a user base. This is the reason HBO has given.

Amazon knows full well that Prime Users are not paying for Prime Instant and they are ok forcing their customers to use a Roku, Xbox 360, PS3, iPad, iPhone or iPod. As someone mentioned Amazon doesn't even support Android at all other than their Kindle. Do you think it's Samsung's fault that their tablets can't stream Amazon Prime?

Clearly Amazon has done that as Kindle tablets compete with cheaper Android tablets.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
tenthplanet

Then there are those rumors of Amazon making their own set top box.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm still hoping that HTML5 support will open up the platform to more services. Amazon may not see <1 million subscribers as enough to dedicate resources to a special Adobe Air app, but HTML5 if universal and should run on any platform with a proper browser, so hopefully they will transition their app to HTML5 and then open it up to all platforms that support HTML5 like Netflix is doing.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
bhinners

Agree with Dan203

I like Dan203's explanation. That's the only plausible reason I can come up with that Amazon would be happy with Roku but not with Tivo.