TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #1471
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
For the small cost of a T10 and T15 don't try anything but the T tools.
To be more specific, its TORX drivers

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #1472
ggieseke

Quote:
Did the same thing with the same drive, but I first ran the setup on the original drive to make sure all was well with the Roamio+ and the setup updated the software, normal, when I then put in the new 3Tb red drive the TiVo I did not have to update the software again so I guess the software is updated in the ROM on the MB, did not know that.
The Kernel, Boot and Root partitions on a Roamio are just empty 4K placeholders. All of the Linux OS is in a 4GB flash chip on the motherboard.

The /var, Swap and SQLite partitions are actually on the drive. That makes sense to me since they're written to frequently while the OS is mostly read-only except for updates.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #1473
headless chicken

Quote:
For the small cost of a T10 and T15 don't try anything but the T tools.
It was $17 plus tax for a Torx set, but they were needed as precision screwdrivers were a nonstarter.

My Roamio Plus had a 1TB green drive inside. I thought the plus came with a 2TB drive and the pro with a 3TB drive??
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1474
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
My Roamio Plus had a 1TB green drive inside. I thought the plus came with a 2TB drive and the pro with a 3TB drive??
Nope, it's 1TB for the Plus and 3TB for the Pro-- TiVo markets them as storing "up to" 150 hours and 450 hours. The basic Roamio has a 500GB drive, marketed as up to 75 hours.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1475
HarperVision

Quote:

It was $17 plus tax for a Torx set, but they were needed as precision screwdrivers were a nonstarter.

Nope, basic is 500GB, plus is 1TB and pro is 3TB.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #1476
HarperVision

Hahaha I love it I just jinxed with Gonzo, a lifelong dream since I watched muppets as a lil' tike!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #1477
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Hahaha I love it I just jinxed with Gonzo, a lifelong dream since I watched muppets as a lil' tike!
Ha There's a ScooterBoy active on TCF too.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #1478
headless chicken

Quote:
Nope, basic is 500GB, plus is 1TB and pro is 3TB.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I think I screwed up. I removed the metal side railings with the T10 after unplugging the cable from the original drive, and now I can't get the new drive to sit properly back in place because the drive is at an angle. I'm scared of scratching something on the motherboard. Any words of wisdom on how to proceed?

I should have realized I would run into difficulty. I'm so grossly incompetent when it comes to tinkering with hardware.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #1479
HarperVision

Quote:

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

I think I screwed up. I removed the metal side railings with the T10 after unplugging the cable from the original drive, and now I can't get the new drive to sit properly back in place because the drive is at an angle. I'm scared of scratching something on the motherboard. Any words of wisdom on how to proceed?

I should have realized I would run into difficulty. I'm so grossly incompetent when it comes to tinkering with hardware.
One side of the drive uses the upper holes and the other uses the lower holes. If you used the same (upper or lower) on both sides it will cause what you describe, the "Leaning Terabyte of Pisa-crap"
Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #1480
jmbissell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Can someone update the OP, took me a few minutes to get to the top? (No, that is not what she said.)

Itís:
One T-9 screw center at the back.
ThreeT-10 screws on the top of the drive bracket.
Four T-15 screws on the brackets that mount to the side of the drive.

No screws in the SATA/Power connection.

Opening to the top is, lift center back just a bit and pinch the left or right sides in to release the (six total) three tabs on each side. The top is pretty flexible and has a lip that covers the back and sides so you can lift the center back and then push one side lip and then the other. No sliding forward, kinda roll forward as you release the tabs back to front. The very front kind of hangs on until you get the last set of tabs off.

Thanks for the info. Now running a WD RED 2.7TB drive. I setup the drive it came with first and the new one worked fine. I had a 3.6TB WD RED on hand but it just loops the setup.
Thanks for this post updating the OP's info. It saved me a lot of time, esp. your description of removing the cover. I had the 500GB Seagate out of my Roamio Basic and the new WD AV-GP 1TB installed in 15 minutes.
This whole upgrade was fairly painless; I didn't even have to call Charter to re-pair the cableCARD or hit the TA.

I only wish my existing Season Passes had been downloaded so I didn't have to re-enter them all again. Maybe that was possible and I just didn't do enough research.

The largest amount of time was spent transferring the recorded shows to and then restoring from my PC using TiVo Desktop. But it was done overnight both ways.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1481
headless chicken

Quote:
One side of the drive uses the upper holes and the other uses the lower holes. If you used the same (upper or lower) on both sides it will cause what you describe, the "Leaning Terabyte of Pisa-crap"
Thanks again, HV. You're a lifesaver. I had the inside railing flipped. It only took me 4x longer than most people, but I managed to upgrade my drive. We'll see if everything is in working order soon.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1482
ltxi

Quote:
I have a precision screw driver set with small philips and flat heads. Can those be used or just the T8 and T10 to open up the plus?
No. Don't even try it. All you need is T10 bit/driver.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #1483
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I paid about $6 for a set of small drivers from Home Depot which had all sorts of driver bits including T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, etc.

~~~~~

Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #1484
HarperVision

Quote:
Thanks again, HV. You're a lifesaver. I had the inside railing flipped. It only took me 4x longer than most people, but I managed to upgrade my drive. We'll see if everything is in working order soon.
The only reason I knew about it was cuz I did it myself when I didn't pay attention while I was taking it apart, doh!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #1485
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
All you need is T10 bit/driver.
T10 is used for the case. T15 is used for the drive.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #1486
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post
I only wish my existing Season Passes had been downloaded so I didn't have to re-enter them all again. Maybe that was possible and I just didn't do enough research.
You could pop the cover and reconnect the original drive long enough to back up the SPs to your computer with kmttg. When you use kmttg to restore them to the new drive it even keeps the correct order.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #1487
MJR0309

Smile Tivo Romio Plus

Hello all, Ordered a Roamio Plus. Going to install a 3tb drive. Can i swap the 1TB drive that it comes with into my TIVOHD. Thanks Mike
MJR0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #1488
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You could pop the cover and reconnect the original drive long enough to back up the SPs to your computer with kmttg. When you use kmttg to restore them to the new drive it even keeps the correct order.
That's exactly what I ended up doing. I just put a magazine over the installed drive so I had a nonconductive surface to place the original drive. There was just enough slack in the SATA cabling to make it work...

Public service announcement for future upgraders - don't forget to back up your season passes with kmttg before swapping drives!
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #1489
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR0309 View Post
Hello all, Ordered a Roamio Plus. Going to install a 3tb drive. Can i swap the 1TB drive that it comes with into my TIVOHD. Thanks Mike
Yes, but with the Tivo HD, you'll need to put a Tivo HD image on the hard drive before you install it.

Instructions for upgrading a TivoHD with JMFS:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

If you do upgrade the Tivo HD, save the original hard drive just in case you need a backup.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #1490
MJR0309

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yes, but with the Tivo HD, you'll need to put a Tivo HD image on the hard drive before you install it.

Instructions for upgrading a TivoHD with JMFS:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

If you do upgrade the Tivo HD, save the original hard drive just in case you need a backup.
Steve, Thanks for the reply. Appreciate that. Mike
MJR0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #1491
rjuskiewicz
Ray J

I must be missing something. I got an e-mail from TiVo today. $349 for the Plus and $499 for the Pro. That's a delta of $150. That's not much more than buying the 3TB drive. So why would I upgrade instead of just buying the Pro?
rjuskiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #1492
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjuskiewicz View Post
I must be missing something. I got an e-mail from TiVo today. $349 for the Plus and $499 for the Pro. That's a delta of $150. That's not much more than buying the 3TB drive. So why would I upgrade instead of just buying the Pro?
For this?

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...I1FVSFF4OBOVJW

$120 or less.

~~~~~

Old 12-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #1493
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjuskiewicz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post

I'd just buy the Pro. For the 30 bucks I'd save, I'd rather not void my warranty, and not have to deal with installing it.

Last edited by bareyb : 12-09-2013 at 06:58 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #1494
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

I'd just buy the Pro. For the 30 bucks I'd save, I'd rather not void my warranty, and not have to deal with prepping the new drive and installing it.
You don't have to prep drives for roamios. Just drop them in and boot 'em up! I agree with you though for only $30 more get the pro and be done with it.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #1495
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You don't have to prep drives for roamios. Just drop them in and boot 'em up! I agree with you though for only $30 more get the pro and be done with it.
Ah. True (updated my post, thanks) It's still kind of a PITA compared to just buying the Pro for 30 bucks more.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #1496
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
T10 is used for the case. T15 is used for the drive.
Nope....T10 for the drive mounting as well these days
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #1497
ltxi

Quote:
Ah. True (updated my post, thanks) It's still kind of a PITA compared to just buying the Pro for 30 bucks more.
There's just something about spending the extra $$ to escape five minutes work that hurts my head. Plus I now have a couple extra blank 1TB WD Green AV drives.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #1498
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Nope....T10 for the drive mounting as well these days
Actually, I verified this morning that while the case screw is T10, and so are the three that hold the drive brackets to the case, the screws holding the brackets to the drive are T15, but can be easily done with a T10 that has no wear-down. I noticed they felt a bit looser, so I grabbed a T15 and it was snug (as in any more snug and that T15 bit would've needed some persuading to fit).

This was the base Roamio, but I figure all that will be different with the Plus/Pro is four screws to mount the drive brackets to the case, as opposed to three (educated guess).

YMMV, and I'd use the right tool for the job, if you have it. Some will say if you don't have the right tool, then go get it (which is my usual position).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 12-09-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added a few lines
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #1499
headless chicken

Quote:
I'd just buy the Pro. For the 30 bucks I'd save, I'd rather not void my warranty, and not have to deal with installing it.
Since when is the Pro only $30 more than the Plus?? It was a $200 difference last time I checked.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #1500
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Since when is the Pro only $30 more than the Plus?? It was a $200 difference last time I checked.
$340 Plus + $120 3TB HD vs. $490 Pro. $30 difference, no tinkering.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote