TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Kickboy

Tivo Rolling out upgrade program... but only for Premiere owners

So I got an email from TiVo offering to upgrade to the Roamio, but the only one of the 8 DVRs on my account that is acceptable for the upgrade is the single Premiere that I have. Why not the TiVo HD that never saw a real HD interface? Why the Series 3 that never saw single M-card support and had those lovely bad capacitors? Or any of the Old Series 2's that didn't make the last upgrade offer?

Nope, just the Premiere, the only one that I own that actually gets new features.
Kickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
mr.unnatural

My guess is that the Premiere is new enough that they can pass it off as a refurbed unit to current owners requesting a replacement. If you have an older unit that dies, Tivo probably can't replace it as they no longer stock them (I sincerely doubt that actually repair any of them, except perhaps to swap out a power supply or hard drive). They would also like you to purchase a newer Tivo with the higher service rates.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
moyekj

So what are the details of the offer? (I have lifetime Elite & Premiere units and haven't received an email).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't think this is limited to Premieres, it just so happens that out of all the Tivos you have, the premiere is the one they chose (imagine TiVo put all of the TSNs from your account into a hat and picked one).

Is this the email you received?

This is the one I received, and I don't have a Premiere on my account.
But I do have a Series 2, and two Tivo HDs and wonder why the Series 2 isn't the DVR associated with the offer. You'd think TiVo would love to get the Series 2 line off of the server teat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiVo Upgrade offer.jpg (76.6 KB, 343 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't think the "upgrade" aspect of it really means anything -- they're not going to make you turn in the old TiVo, or deactivate it.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
moyekj

OK, never mind then. $575 for a Roamio basic is not a discount at all since via Amazon you can buy them for $150 + $400 MSD = $550.
$99 lifetime transfer is about the only thing that would entice me to upgrade my remaining series 4 units.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't think the "upgrade" aspect of it really means anything -- they're not going to make you turn in the old TiVo, or deactivate it.
In the past, some of these offers have deactivated lifetime on the 'upgraded' box. But I see no such text that implies this in this offer.

My question is on the price - is it really that good of a deal? Compared to what you get if buy the Box from Amazon (or others), and either use MSD or the PLS discount code?
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
My question is on the price - is it really that good of a deal? Compared to what you get if buy the Box from Amazon (or others), and either use MSD or the PLS discount code?
It's not that good a deal for people who like to shop around for the best price.
It's a so-so deal if you like to buy the boxes from TiVo and/or don't bother to shop around.
Basically, it's just an offer for a discount on the price of the hardware. The more expensive the box, the more discount you get.
MSD is taken into consideration also.
To buy a Roamio basic w/o a discount or MSD costs $699.98. Subtract $574.99 from that you get (lo and behold), $125.

This would be a better deal for people who weren't eligible for the MSD discount, but being that the offer is tied to a specific TSN, I don't think they'll be getting the email.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
In the past, some of these offers have deactivated lifetime on the 'upgraded' box. But I see no such text that implies this in this offer.

I also don't see any fine print that says that they won't deactivate lifetime on the old box.

I got the offer on a lifetimed 652 (S3 HD).

Even if that were my only TiVo it would make me eligible for $400 MSD lifetime on a second unit, rather than the $500 full price lifetime they use to figure the before discount value of the bundle.

So the bundle price is $100 higher than it should be, making my savings on the cheapest Roamio a whopping $25.

If they aren't planning to discontinue the lifetime sub on that particular 652 (which I think is the most recently manufactured of my lifetimed units, and therefore theoretically the one most likely to keep working for the foreseeable future), then why is the offer tied to it and none of my other TiVos, or just tied to my overall account?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I actually don't remember any upgrade offers ever that deactivated lifetime on the upgraded box. 10+ years ago or so there was a transfer offer that I think deactivated lifetime (it gave you a 1 year sub on the old box, as I remember), but TiVo is too concerned about subscription numbers to merely stay even. They don't want subs on the old boxes to expire - that's why you can perpetually get the $99 lifetime offers on old boxes.

To repeat what others have said, the deals from TiVo pretty much at best match what the retailers offer; TiVo doesn't undercut its partners.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I actually don't remember any upgrade offers ever that deactivated lifetime on the upgraded box. 10+ years ago or so there was a transfer offer that I think deactivated lifetime (it gave you a 1 year sub on the old box, as I remember), but TiVo is too concerned about subscription numbers to merely stay even. They don't want subs on the old boxes to expire - that's why you can perpetually get the $99 lifetime offers on old boxes.

To repeat what others have said, the deals from TiVo pretty much at best match what the retailers offer; TiVo doesn't undercut its partners.
Exactly. I had a transfer offer from an S2 to an HD and I got a 1 year extension on the S2 after the transfer of lifetime. So about 6 years ago or so.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
blacknoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post

When I bought the series 3 (OLED) the offer was $199 lifetime transfer from an old S2 box to the S3. My S2 box *lost* its subscription as expected. This was the fall of 2006.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
unitron

I don't think the $99 lifetime is about keeping subscriber numbers up so much as it is that offer is usually made on a unit that's about to be taken out of service (or that you've gotten the CSR to believe is about to be taken out of service), so it's $99 more as opposed to $0 more.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote