TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
vanclute

4TB DIY in a Roamio Plus yet?

If this is already posted somewhere and I missed it, please feel free to direct me there.

I'm considering the purchase of a Roamio plus and would immediately like to upgrade it. I could go 3TB but if I can go 4tb I'd prefer that. Weakness has upgrade kits but I'm a DIY sort when it comes to these kinds of things. Does anyone have an "official" word (preferably first-hand experience if possible) on what 4tb hard drives will work in a Roamio plus?

Thanks!
vanclute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanclute View Post
If this is already posted somewhere and I missed it, please feel free to direct me there.

I'm considering the purchase of a Roamio plus and would immediately like to upgrade it. I could go 3TB but if I can go 4tb I'd prefer that. Weakness has upgrade kits but I'm a DIY sort when it comes to these kinds of things. Does anyone have an "official" word (preferably first-hand experience if possible) on what 4tb hard drives will work in a Roamio plus?

Thanks!
Weakness is your only option, as of now, to use 4Tb in a Roamio

Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
ggieseke

Right now the only way to break the 3TB barrier on a Roamio is the Weaknees option. I'm working on a program of my own to copy & expand but it's probably several months off.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
vanclute

OK then, sounds like 3TB will just have to do for a while. I can live with that... thanks!!
vanclute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Right now the only way to break the 3TB barrier on a Roamio is the Weaknees option. I'm working on a program of my own to copy & expand but it's probably several months off.
Would it help you to see an image (or other info) from a 4TB Weaknees drive?
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
ggieseke

I may get a peek at one soon.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Accridition

I noticed that Weaknees was offering 4TB units, so I just assumed that was an easy upgrade to do and I picked up a Seagate ST4000VM000 4TB AV drive and originally planned to attach it with eSATA. After playing with it for a short time, it doesn't appear to be that easy. Does anybody know how to get a 4TB drive working either internally or externally?
Accridition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accridition View Post
I noticed that Weaknees was offering 4TB units, so I just assumed that was an easy upgrade to do and I picked up a Seagate ST4000VM000 4TB AV drive and originally planned to attach it with eSATA. After playing with it for a short time, it doesn't appear to be that easy. Does anybody know how to get a 4TB drive working either internally or externally?
At this point only Weaknees has that information, I think some people are working on a solution, but non so far.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
fstrthnu2

Reverse Engineer

Would someone be able to reverse engineer the 4TB expansion if an image was obtained? I spoke with Weaknees today and asked for the price to format an already owned 4TB drive for TiVo and was told $95. Not an outrageous price if it could benefit the cause, I'd be willing to chip in.
fstrthnu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstrthnu2 View Post
Would someone be able to reverse engineer the 4TB expansion if an image was obtained? I spoke with Weaknees today and asked for the price to format an already owned 4TB drive for TiVo and was told $95. Not an outrageous price if it could benefit the cause, I'd be willing to chip in.
I wonder how big the demand is for 600+ hours of HD storage ? We should do a poll to see how many people on this Forum would purchase a 4Tb drive to upgrade their Roamio if we did have the tools to do so.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

As soon as ggieseke gets it worked out, I will definitely be upgrading to 4TB. Just for the bragging rights!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
As soon as ggieseke gets it worked out, I will definitely be upgrading to 4TB. Just for the bragging rights!
I had not thought of bragging rights, my friends would be impressed as I brag about my 600h of HD storage (that I don't need). 450 h is in itself way more than I need, as I do watch what I record.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I had not thought of bragging rights, my friends would be impressed as I brag about my 600h of HD storage (that I don't need). 450 h is in itself way more than I need, as I do watch what I record.
You and I definitely have a different set of friends!

If I had that kind of space, I would love to relocate my movie library from my server up to the TiVo. But it would be helpful to:

1) have some kind of foldering available and;
2) have a method to associate meta data.

It surprises me that in all the time we have been working on pushing and pulling content to and from the TiVo that a method to attach meta data to the file hasn't been developed. We can Tivodecode but can't Tivoencode?

Meh, different things are important to different people I suppose!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
It surprises me that in all the time we have been working on pushing and pulling content to and from the TiVo that a method to attach meta data to the file hasn't been developed. We can Tivodecode but can't Tivoencode?
Actually, I developed a crude program to do that several years ago but it died for lack of interest.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=446048
Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

That's pretty cool.

Since I archive a lot of my movies on my server, I would love a tool similar to the meta generator 3 - where you could take your rip, use the tool to select the correct meta information. And it would then combine to create the .tivo and push to a destination TiVo.

It looks like most of the heavy lifting is done...

Maybe if I have time I will open meta generator an play around a little.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
openhacker

Is there a difference between the Roamio and Roamio plus?

I see weaknees can put WD AV-GP 4TB in a roamio.

Methinks it must be something simple (my 4TB AV-GP can't work in a roamio).
openhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by openhacker View Post
Is there a difference between the Roamio and Roamio plus?

I see weaknees can put WD AV-GP 4TB in a roamio.

Methinks it must be something simple (my 4TB AV-GP can't work in a roamio).
No difference betwenn models and drives as far as I can tell, but they have the only working 4TB configuration. I hope to change that soon, but right now it's 3TB DIY or 4TB Weaknees.